Jan 30 U20 WCQ - Canada v Jamaica - POST-match [R]

DJT

<center>Canada 1  Jamaica 0Estadio Francisco Morazán

San Pedro Sula, HondurasSunday, January 30

1:30 PM PST / 2:30 PM MST / 3:30 PM CST & local / 4:30 PM EST / 5:30 PM AST / 6:00 PM NST</center>

GOALS

74' CAN Ryan Gyaki

YELLOWS, REDS

None?

LINEUPS

CANADA: 3-Nikolas Ledgerwood, 4-Andre Hainault, 5-Simon Kassaye, 8-Tyler Rosenlund, 12-Riley O´Neill, 13-Mike D´Agostino, 14-Cam Wilson (10-Will Johnson 70'), 15-Brad Peetoom, 16-Graham Ramalho, 17-Julian Paolo Uccello (9-Ryan Gyaki 63'), 22- Asmir Begovic. Jamie Peters subbed on at 46' for who? Head Coach: Dale Mitchell.

JAMAICA: 4-Rodolph Austin, 6-Kenell Moodie, 8-Steven Morrissey (15-Horace Howell 82'), 9-Luton Shelton (10-Richard West 66'), 11-Akeem Priestley, 12-Jermaine Hollis (7-Mario Harrison 82'), 13-Ralston Robinson, 14-Adrian Reid, 17-Obrian White, 20-Nicholy Finlayson, 31-Kieron Bernard. Head Coach: Wendell Downswell.

R: Donald Campos (NCA

A1: Lionel Leal (CRC)

A2: Paul Messam (BAH)

FO: Neal Brizan (TRI)

Pre-match thread  In-match thread

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

So in the last 3 qualifying tournaments, Canada has gone (WDL) 2-1-0, 2-1-0 and 3-0-0 for a combined record of 7-2-0. Pretty impressive.

Gyaki scoring is good, but I'm a bit worried we didn't see a goal from an AM or striker in 3 games :o.

We've finished first in our grouping for 4 of the last 5 WYC qualifying campaigns (Mexico in '97, Victoria in '01, Charleston in '03, and this one).

Gyaki again. Well we didn't get to see tonights game. But I can understand where some would think we have the next Maradona within our ranks if you are relying on just the goal summaries. But from the two games that I did see it really seemed like a case of mostly being at the right place at the right time for Gyaki. Still, In the end, he will have to be viewed as the man of the tournament for Canada.

Having said that, I hope that I am not bursting anyone's bubble but I could be wrong and I will have to watch the games again and pay closer attention to him. To be perfectly honnest, aside from the goals outburst, there have been players on our U20 squads from the past two editions that have managed to catch my attention to much a greater extent. Still, you have to be extremely impressed by his ball controll while taking the pass from Rosenlund on the goal versus Honduras. That goal was a good display of confidence and technical abilities. I just fear that comparaisons to Maradona might raise expectations to unrealistic levels.

The two goals versus Mexico were mostly Jaime Peters' doing. The first one was a result ball played squarely into the box where several players from both sides misplayed the ball and Gyaki pounced. On the second goal in that same game, Gyaki was in a perfect postion to slot it home but the quality and work on that goal came from Jaime Peters, who squared a perfect pass to an unmarked Gyaki.

Again, Not to take anything away from Gyaki and his performance. I am just concerned that the Lynch mob will come out wondering what he isn't named to Yallop's next squad. I wouldn't be surprised if he is added to the senior squad. But I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't either.

I don't want him in the senior squad yet. There are still many players a little older I'd prefer to get a look at this point. I'd be happy to see him in the squad, of course, but my preference is he and all the other young players get back to playing with clubs etc. right now. I'm sure his performance will have impressed Sheffield Utd.

BTW, does anyone know if the NCAA kids on the team (O'Neill, D'Agastino, Wagenaar) are going to be with PDL teams or with local club teams this spring?

The good news keeps on coming. Great stuff from our U-20s. Pisses me off, though, that despite my searches I can't find any details about the game. Would it kill the CSA to have a member of the delegation in Honduras call in a brief report with the roster and subs et cetera?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I have had a chance to see on TV at one point or another, CND U20 teams from the past three edition.

1) 2000 - the three matches in Victoria, Plus those at the U20 WC against Iraq, Germany and Brazil

2) 2003 - Saw the qualifier versus the US won by Canada 3-2 and the match versus Spain at the WC.

3) 2005 - The two games for this past week.

The 3-2 win versus the US in 2003 still ranks as the most impressive performance by a canadian side. This appeared to be a different side from the other editions in that IMHO Canada's success was much more tactically driven. You get a sense that the coaching and preparation were the difference this time around whereas in 2003 it semed like the talent on the pitch was the difference against the US and at the WC versus Spain.

We defended very well as a team and conceded very few scoring chances. Perhaps, playing five MF's had a alot to do with this. Oddly, as I recall it, the 2000 team in Victoria were even more stingy given that they didn't concede any chances to the opposition in three games that I recall. Whereas, if I were to find fault with this team, it would have to be the occasional defensive breakdown from an individual ( rather than team)standpoint. Incredibly as it may sound but we could very easily have been sitting on two points as a result of two draws in the first two game. Very late in both games, we let an opposing player in all alone on the keeper. That has got to be a concern for Mitchell.

Versus Mexico, the oponents worked a give and go to spring someone in all alone on Wagenaar but fortunately The attacker tried to chip it over the keeper's head as he came out to challenge and it sailed into the back netting. Again, in the dying seconds of the game versus Honduras, an attacker was in all alone but really whiffed on the ball and sailed it a mile high. In both instance, the balls could have or should have gone in the net and canada was very fortunate.

Whats impressive about this squad compared to 2000 is that these matches were played away from home. While it is true that there were no goals from the Fwds or AM's, it must be said that we did create a few chances and I don't recall too many of those from our 2000 squad. Will Johnson wasn't very noticable, but he was playing all alone up front and, as result of playing with an extra MF, we really bottled up the middled the pitch and really didn't concede much to the opposition comming up the middle. Whatever forays by the opposition that I saw came mostly from the flanks. Most were non threatening.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

Do you know if Uccello was a midfielder or a striker in this game!

Unfrtunately, I was not able to view this game. I was commenting on the two earlier games. I was really looking Fwd to see Uccello play and was hoping that he would be subbed in those earlier games.

Just to clear up a few points, the first goal we scored against Mexico actually had nothing to do with Jaime Peters, it was caused by our lone striker, Wil Johnson, coming back into midfield to collect a loose ball, he beat a Mexican defender with some nifty footwork and then passed to a wide open Marcel De Jong who took his time, crossed the ball into the middle to a charging Roselund. The ball squirted loose and an on-coming Gyaki put it in. The second goal, however, was all about Peters blowing past his Mexican defenders on the right and centering to a wide open Gyaki, who slotted the ball neatly & craftily into the net.

Against Honduras, I counted 7 passes prior to the spectacular goal by Gyaki, and on this one you have to give most of the credit to Ryan, which, along with his goal today, proves that he can be a skilled scorer.

As to the person who was worried that we didn't get any goals from a striker or an attacking midfield, Gyaki was certainly playing as the latter in the two games I saw, and in some cases almost as a striker. But Johnson's lone striker role was a bit different - he had a hand in two of the three goals I saw and he set up De Jong for a sitter into an empty net against Mexico that De Jong missed almost unbelievably.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

We've finished first in our grouping for 4 of the last 5 WYC qualifying campaigns (Mexico in '97, Victoria in '01, Charleston in '03, and this one).

And we are undefeated in U20 qualifying this century, a feat that will run to at least 2009, if not longer.

quote:Originally posted by canuck-fan

The good news keeps on coming. Great stuff from our U-20s. Pisses me off, though, that despite my searches I can't find any details about the game. Would it kill the CSA to have a member of the delegation in Honduras call in a brief report with the roster and subs et cetera?

It kills me too that the CSA seems to give a **** about fans in Canada. Beside coach Mitchell they had 6 other people in the delegation. But none is decent enough to use their cell and give a two minute report, let alone photos or updates. It is a disgrace that me have to rely on the Honduran radio for results. All the CSA seems to do is just copy and paste their reports from some Spanish website, as it still has spanish words that obviously overlook. A dead give away.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

AndrewW, there's a good chance the NCAA players who hail from BC will be either with the Whitecaps senior team or its reserve squad. They were at the Whitcaps camp in December and the Whitecaps brain trust was in Honduras scouting them.

So O'Neill and D'Agostino would be forfeiting their remaining eligibility at UK and Peetoom at Syracuse? It's okay for them to train with a squad like the Whitecaps (as many college players have trained with MLS teams) but they'd have to sign a contract to play with the Whitecaps A-League team and that would make them ineligible to return to play NCAA soccer. And to my understanding of NCAA eligibility rules even an amateur contract wouldn't suffice due to them playing with and against professionals. I don't know about the reserve side and the implications of that.

I would be surprised if they decided to go the A-League route. But ultimately it would be their decision.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

It kills me too that the CSA seems to give a **** about fans in Canada. Beside coach Mitchell they had 6 other people in the delegation. But none is decent enough to use their cell and give a two minute report, let alone photos or updates. It is a disgrace that me have to rely on the Honduran radio for results. All the CSA seems to do is just copy and paste their reports from some Spanish website, as it still has spanish words that obviously overlook. A dead give away.

You're right on. After the Honduras game, I realized how stupid it was of me to be listening to a game that I don't understand and at the same time hitting reload on the game thread every 2 minutes so I wrote a letter to the CSA. Here is my letter and their response (basically a polite "go away").

My email:

Greetings,

How about having a live matchtracker on your website for important games like the current U-20 qualifying tournament. We Canadian fans are stuck on the internet listening to Spanish broadcasts and trying to depend on spanish speakers to decifer what's going on. At least a match tracker that could at least update the general run of play every 5 minutes would be greatly appreciated and I don't think it would be difficult or expensive to do.

Thank you.

Response:

Thank you for your suggestion. We do have a Scoreboard for home games.

Kindest regards,

Richard **** (wasn't sure if it's appropriate to post names)

Archived