Jan 30 U20 WCQ - Canada v Jamaica - POST-match [R]

DJT

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

All the CSA seems to do is just copy and paste their reports from some Spanish website, as it still has spanish words that obviously overlook. A dead give away.

Yes. For those who have been reading the stuff I've posted and haven't seen the original CSA reports, note that I have edited them before posting. In addition to the Spanish words, there have been errors with the names of Canadian players, such as spelling "Ledgerwood" as "Lederwood" on every report.

The CSA has done a horrible job promoting this tournament and team. Well, that's par for the course, but in this case it bothers me more because they should be hyping this tournament in preparation for hosting the next one. [V]

The only photo of this match that I could find, posted at Yahoo!:

capt.sps10201302259.honduras_canada_jamaica_u20_soccer_sps102.jpg

Jamaica's Kieron Bernard, left, kicks the ball as Canada's Paolo Uccello, right chases during their under-20 soccer qualifier for the World Youth Championship at the Francisco Morazan Stadium in San Pedro Sula, about 149 miles north of Tegucigalpa, Honduras, Sunday, Jan. 30, 2005. (AP Photo/Ginnette Riquelme)

Yahoo! also has a bunch of photos of Honduras vs. Mexico, but some of the captions say that Honduras is playing against Canada. [|)]

quote:Originally posted by DJT

The only photo of this match that I could find, posted at Yahoo!:

Unreal. I found two more shots (which I can't post sorry). A better one of Uccello and another of 'Gyaki' trying to split the D. Which is funny because the shot of Gyaki from training that goes with Neil's feature on Gyaki is quite clearly a different player. In the Jamaica photo 'Gyaki' has black hair and wears eight (or possibly 18 I suppose). In the training shot he has shaggy dirty blonde hair. In the Honduras photos number eight is identified as Carlo Schiavoni. Which got me wondering. So I checked the CSA report and according to them, eight is in fact Tyler Rosenlund?!

Confused? Apparently so is Ginnette Riquelme of the Associated Press.

Good grief.

cheers,

matthew

Well done to the lads for going unbeaten in this tournament. It would

have been nice if the CSA would have tried to find sponsors to help get

the Tournament on Canadian television. Sportsnet has the rights for the

2005 WYC in Holland, with luck well see the entire tournament, but i would guess well only get Canada's games only after Blue Jays boring baseball and the useless CFL coverage. Good luck to the team, another

trip to the qtr finals or better?

From the CSA:

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Canada Defeats Jamaica 1-0

San Pedro Sula, Honduras – Canada’s U20 National Team rounded off its CONCACAF U20 Qualifying Tournament with a well-deserved 1-0 win over Jamaica in San Pedro Sula on Sunday night. The Canadians, winners of their last four International games, surprised many in San Pedro Sula with their rock-solid defending and overall team approach to the tournament.

Canadian Head Coach, Dale Mitchell, made whole changes to his line-up for the encounter against the ReggaeBoyz.

Mitchell switched to a 4-4-2 with strikers Cam Wilson and Julian Uccello employed upfront and shifted Andrew Hainault into a holding midfield role. Replacing Hainault at the back was Brad Peetoom. Graham Ramalho was slotted in at left back and Mike D’Agostino was given the nod on the right side of midfield with Riley O’Neill sliding over to the opposite side. Goalkeeper Asmir Begovic also stepped in, replacing Josh Wagenaar.

And the young Canucks did exactly as they had done before.

The opening half was a midfield battle with very little in the way of chances for either side.

The Canadians seemed to frustrate the Jamaicans with their organization and resolute defending and by the end of the opening half, the Jamaicans were forced trying to beat Begovic from distance. The tactic never seemed to bother the Canadians and both teams left for the interval knotted at zero.

When the teams returned it was Canada that took over the match.

The first real chance fell to the feet of Julian Uccello.

Jaime Peters (who had come on at the half) stole an errant pass from a Jamaican defender and quickly played a diagonal ball toward the top of the area for Uccello. The striker took the shot early, forcing a kick save from the Jamaican goalkeeper. The rebound was eventually bundled back into the hands of the ‘keeper and the danger was averted.

But the game quickly turned again with the insertion of Ryan Gyaki and Will Johnson midway through the half.

The Jamaicans, now visibly tired, did not seem to have an answer for the pace of the two new strikers and in the 75th minute, Canada pounced.

Johnson won a crunching tackle in the middle of the field then broke away from his mark. When Johnson reached the corner of the area, he slipped a delicate ball to a streaking Gyaki who had sliced through the Jamaican box. Gyaki met the pass at the penalty spot and coolly side-footed his effort past a helpless Jamaican keeper.

The Jamaicans then threw everything they could at the Canadians but in the end couldn’t find a way to grab the equalizer.

The Canadians walked off to a standing ovation from the large Honduran crowd.

“I am incredibly satisfied with the way this team performed tonight,” said Canadian Head Coach Dale Mitchell following the match.

“To my knowledge no Canadian team has come into Central America and won all three of its games. It is truly a remarkable achievement but we must start to focus our attention on our preparation for Holland.”

January 30, 2005 - CONCACAF Qualifier

Estadio Francisco Morazán - San Pedro Sula, HONDURAS;

Canada 1(0)

Jamaica 0(0)

Goals: Canada-Gyaki (74)

CANADA: 22- Asmir Begovic; 3-Nikolas Lederwood; 4-Andre Hainault; 5-Simon Kassaye; 8-Tyler Rosenlund; 12-Riley O´neill; 13-Mike D´agostino; 14-Cam Wilson (10-Will Jonson, 70); 15-Brad Peetoom; 16-Graham Ramalho; 17-Julian Paolo Uccello (9-Ryan Gyaki, 63).

DT: Dale Mitchell

JAMAICA: 4-Rodolph Austin; 6-Kenell Moodie; 8- Steven Morrissey (15-Horace Howell, 82); 9-Luton Shelton (10- Richard West, 66); 11-Akeem Priestley; 12-Jermaine Hollis (7-Mario Harrison, 82); 13-Ralston Robinson; 14-Adrian Reid; 17-Obrian White; 20-Nicholy Finlayson; 31-Kieron Bernard.

DT: Wendell Downswell (JAM)

R: Donald Campos (NCA

A1: Lionel Leal ( CRC)

A2: Paul Messam (BAH)

FO: Neal Brizan ( TRI)

I think the CSA report is Davidson's CP Report? Sure sounds like Davidson, who i think is there.

The line-up description paragraph in the article itself was good, something the CSA-made reports almost never have. The line-up stats are usually never given in the CP reports (most Canadian papers would not know what to do with them), this (with its faults) was just added to the CP story with the CSA's version of the CP report. Can't blame CP for that. Probably a tired CSA staffer that got the faulty line-up stats from a faulty latino report rather than over the phone from the Canadian delegation in situ. As somebody who has tried to put together a comprehensive match report from various sources, I have some sympathy for the guy.

One thing you have to give credit to CSA for is that they did give a report today, which is a lot better than their usual record of being a day late.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

I think the CSA report is Davidson's CP Report? Sure sounds like Davidson, who i think is there.

Well Davidson isn't there. He'd be slugging his stories 'SAN PEDRO SULA, HONDURAS (CP)'' if he were. Near as I can tell he isn't even working tonight. The CP story is byline-less and is very similar to the CSA story. Of course it's a chicken and egg situation, no idea who wrote the thing first. I agree though that it looks like the CP story was the basis for the CSA release and not vice versa, but really i don't care. It's a good article in either case.

cheers,

matthew

You should be asking why we can watch the Women U19 play teams like Dominician Republic, winning 14-0. Yet we cannot see the U20's play, be it The Qualification or The World Championship itself.

It kills me too that the CSA seems to give a **** about fans in Canada. Beside coach Mitchell they had 6 other people in the delegation. But none is decent enough to use their cell and give a two minute report, let alone photos or updates. It is a disgrace that me have to rely on the Honduran radio for results. All the CSA seems to do is just copy and paste their reports from some Spanish website, as it still has spanish words that obviously overlook. A dead give away.

You should be asking why we can watch the Women U19 play teams like Dominician Republic, winning 14-0. Yet we cannot see the U20's play, be it The Qualification or The World Championship itself.

It kills me too that the CSA seems to give a **** about fans in Canada. Beside coach Mitchell they had 6 other people in the delegation. But none is decent enough to use their cell and give a two minute report, let alone photos or updates. It is a disgrace that me have to rely on the Honduran radio for results. All the CSA seems to do is just copy and paste their reports from some Spanish website, as it still has spanish words that obviously overlook. A dead give away.

Gyaki's on fire

Gyaki's on fire

Parents proud of Calgarian's achievements with nats

By CAMERON MAXWELL, CALGARY SUN

There are likely no prouder parents in Calgary right now than Ernst and Elizabeth Gyaki. After all, they watched their son, Ryan, almost singlehandedly get Canada's Under-20 soccer team into this summer's World Youth Championship.

Ryan, 19, tallied all four goals in Canada's 2-1 win over Mexico Friday, 1-0 triumph over Honduras Saturday and 1-0 win over Jamaica yesterday in contests played in Honduras for the CONCACAF qualifier.

The victories punched Canada's ticket and Gyaki's parents couldn't be more pleased, said Ernst.

"We are proud. He's put in a lot of effort and a lot of sacrifice and it's what he wants," said Ernst, who along with his wife watched the Mexico and Honduras matches on TV.

They talked to their son, a midfielder, yesterday before the Jamaica game and Ernst said his son was amazed at his and Canada's success.

"It was incredible. I couldn't believe it and he couldn't believe how it worked out," said Ernst, who was born in Austria, where he played Div. 2 soccer.

But, so far this season, it hasn't been all roses.

Ryan tore abdominal muscles in the first game of the campaign with the Sheffield United reserves in England. After at least two months out, he hurt his knee within two weeks of coming back. More niggling injuries followed, said Ryan.

"This was a big season for me and so far I've hardly got to play any games because of injuries," said Ryan, who was born in Toronto and moved to Calgary when he was five. "I can't really say too much about it. It's just been unlucky. I haven't had a go at things."

Nearing full health, Ryan was given his chance to shine wearing a Canadian shirt. Under-20 coach Dale Mitchell made the young Blade co-captain of his team and Gyaki more than returned the favour.

Ryan, speaking from the Canadian team hotel in San Pedro Sula, attributes the turnaround to hard work rather than good fortune. But he admits to having wondered when his unfortunate run was going to end.

"I was really thinking that things have got to change sooner or later because it hasn't been the best of seasons. So hopefully things will keep going as they are now," said Ryan, who played minor soccer in Silver Springs and then moved on to club soccer with the Calgary Blizzard.

As for his scoring exploits in Honduras, the young midfielder deflects praise to his teammates, typical of the kind of person he is, said Mitchell

"He's a hard-working kid, he's a good leader," said Mitchell. "That's why he's one of the captains within the team. He's a real team player and I think that's why everybody was so pleased for him that he got to be the hero on two occasions down here."

Ryan still has some physical issues, the legacy of the abdominal injury, which nag him, he explained

"It caused quite a big problem, and I think I'm still suffering from it,' said Ryan. "I'm still having quite a bad pain in my leg but our physio's brilliant and he (Canadian team trainer Eddie Cannon) sorts it out before every game. It hurts quite bad after the game."

He suffered the abdominal problem when he "fell funny" taking a shot and getting tackled at the same time.

The good news is he's regaining his health -- and he has another year on his contract to impress Sheffield.

A Sheffield United scout noticed him in Cuba while with a Canadian age-group team and he was invited to England some 2 1/2 years ago. He signed a week later.

He loves living in England -- "a totally different experience" -- but tries to get back to Canada twice a year.

"You get more vacations than most jobs get, so I can't complain."

Seems he rarely does.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Sports/2005/01/31/915360-sun.html

Nice to see the Honduran crowd applaud the Canadians. Very classy. Sounds as though Mitchell had his team committed to a strategy, and like our Junior Hockey team, these guys played hard and got the job done. One has to assume that the preparation was very good, that Mitchell is a great tactician and leader and motivator, and that this group of young men had a nice blend of chemistry, confidence and dedication. Hume's "Canuck style" has prevailed again, it seems, though this time it was Gyaki notching the goals.

Damn proud of our team and coaching staff! The WYC will be very tough, but I am sure we will do our damnedest to prove a difficult and organized opponent for whoever we face.

Vive le Canada!!

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Nice to see the Honduran crowd applaud the Canadians. Very classy.

And don't forget how the Honduran crowd started yelling "Ole!" during a nice stretch of Canadian passes when we were up 1-0 in the WCQ match in Honduras, and they were playing like crap. Made me laugh.

(unfortunately, the Honduran team managed to win back their fans at the end... :()

Archived