Tam Nsaliwa and Ali Gerba News!

Ian Kennett

According to Frank Yallop, to whom I spoke recently:

1) Tam Nsaliwa has turned down the mens' national team twice now. First, he turned down an invitation for the Guatemala game. Second, he just turned down an invitation to the upcoming camp in Florida. Her cited club committments both times. Yallop will try to include him in the European camp in March, but Tam is, perhaps, wearing out his welcome.

2) Lynx striker Ali Gerba has been invited to the Florida camp this month, and has accepted. Good news.

Cheers!

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

he turned down an invitation for the Guatemala game.

Are you referring to the Guatemala game in August at Swangard? Or the away game in November.

I would have a hard time understanding Tam decision if it were the August game.

But if it were November game, then I would hope that anyone with a club commitment would have been excused. Imagine for a moment if you get overlooked for all the important matches and then when your out or qualifying, the coach decides to call you and give a break to other players who were part of a qualifying effort that ultimately wasn't successfull. How would you feel? especially if it meant ruffling the feathers of your employer

If Yallop doesn't improve relations with some of the players he alienated in WCQ he will be wearing out his welcome pretty quickly. Up to WCQ Tam was one of the most committed to showing up for both the Olympic team and MNT. I don't blame him for being pissed off and concentrating on his club career instead of meaningless MNT games. Yallop needs to get him, Brennan and Klukowski back on board soon. Funny how in the time since WCQ Brennan has become a regular Premiership sub and occasional starter, Klukowski has transferred to a major European club and Nsaliwa's stock is steadily rising in Germany. Yallop is now paying the price for his poor selections in WCQ and since he created the problem he needs to fix it quickly if it is not already too late.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

[

But if it were November game, then I would hope that anyone with a club commitment would have been excused. Imagine for a moment if you get overlooked for all the important matches and then when your out or qualifying, the coach decides to call you and give a break to other players who were part of a qualifying effort that ultimately wasn't successfull. How would you feel? especially if it meant ruffling the feathers of your employer

It is the November game that Nsaliwa was invited to, not the August one.

If he has club conflicts for both then I think its totally understandable, just as you suggest. If he's invited for the March camp that appears to be on an international calender & it's in Europe so I hope that he agrees to attend there, as there is less of a reason not to do so.

I certainly hope we see him, Brennan & Klukowski again for the Portugal friendly.

As for Ali, great to hear, long overdue, but I just hope he's in proper game shape!

I know from family that Tam was extremely disappointed about being ignored for the WCQ last summer, but I haven't spoken to them since. If I was in his shoes, why would I now want to come back and further risk my club career?

I wouldn't presume to speak for Tam, but he has little to prove in terms of his committment and sacrifice for Canada. He played injured at the Olympic qualifiers in February because he thought there was an importance there, because he felt it important that Canada make it to Athens. He already has appeared for the senior team under Holger and the Olympic team, and the if he succeeds in his club career, he will be invited back once the WCQ starts seriously gearing up in 3 years time. When you are darned if you don't and darned if you do in a Kafkaesque dilemma beyond your control, you make the best logical course and stick to it within certain flexibility, especially when you have the lessons of experience of yourself and others to back you up. If he doesn't concentrate on his club career and succeed there, Frank will have another excuse not to call him anyway. He loves Canada and wants to play for them, but only the next World Cup qualifying is now important enough to risk his career for. I see where he is apparently coming from and I totally respect him for that. It's up to Yallop to take some real responsibility and start building the bridges, since he took the bad decision to call some cronies over Tam and some others more qualified [iMHO]...the ability to build bridges and communicate with the players is the major reason why Holger was fired and Yallop hired, after all...

Time to read a little Camus to learn about moral responsibility, Frank.:(

Beaches, I am a huge fan of Camus' and I agree with you in part, but I sort of wonder at the fragility of our soccer players' egos. I mean, it'd hurt if you were a hockey player cut from our Junior team, but you sure as hell would leap at the chance to play for Canada a few years down the road if asked. Yeah, I know comparing these two sports in Canada is like apples and orangutans, but I still wonder why Tam is so hurt. At the same time, I sort of hope Yallop can find a way to mend fences here. Tam is too useful, too quick and playing in too good of a league for us NOT to use him.

Hey, maybe we should send an email or card to Tam saying that we love him and we want to see him suit up for us again. No need to mention Frank. all we need to do is give him our love. What do you think?

I hope Tam Nsaliwa features for the national side in the future. But whether it's Nsaliwa or Brennan or anyone else, the "he didn't pick me for Game A so I'm not going if he calls me for Game B" is just a bunch of blah, blah, blah.

Some players are "alienated"? Tough. Every national side, especially one as spectacularly unsuccessful as ours, has player selection questions. And every new coach brings his own style and opinions. There's no reason ours will ever be any different, whether it's Yallop in charge or someone else. I don't know Nsaliwa's situation, and I hope he's back in the side soon, but I ain't losing sleep.

Why assume that Nsaliwa has a problem? I don't see evidence of this. Disappointment, sure, who wouldn't be disappointed, but his reason for turning down the last two invitations is understandable enough without needing to assume there is something more going on.

It is not about alienation or being hurt. I'm sorry if I left that impression, I should have made myself clearer. It is about the responsibility of making personal choices giving conflicting priorities. There is no evidence that Tam has not turned up (if that is in fact the case, I am seriously starting to doubt Frank's credibility about many things) for reasons that he is "hurt" emotionally (for which there is some evidence this may have been the motivation of Aguiar, for instance), in fact what i know about him would make me strongly think the opposite. He has a responsiblility to Canada, which he has met and proven. He also has a responsibility to himself as well. Surely no one is suggesting that there was an obligation on Tam to go to Guatemala in November, such as there clearly was on Padzinski to show up in Vancouver in August.

I would travel around the world to attend my daughter's wedding, no matter what difficulites it would entail. I would travel around the world within a year to visit a grandchild for the first time. But I would not travel around the world just to be present at my daughter's birthday party, though I would if it was a trip of only a few hours. It is a question of priority. In the circumstances, there was no priority for Tam (or Canada) for him to go to Guatemala in November, and there is none for the coming camp in Florida. There may or may not be priority for him to go to the Portugal camp and friendly in March. It will be a choice that first Frank, and then Tam, will have to make in the circumstances of the situation and the time.

We just don't know enough of Tam's reasons for not going to

Guatemala, nor do we know enough that it's Yallop's fault or

whatever.

All I know is that Tam declined the Guatemala away game

and that Yallop had invited him. That's fair. You can decline

for club or personal reasons, and that's for Tam's reasons only.

Yallop can do likewise, whatever alternatives are left for him to

pursue as a result.

As for moral obligations, it works for both parties.

Beaches, I may have misunderstood your post. I got the impression that you were saying Tam was upset because he'd not been called up by Frank. I understand what you are saying about priorities and context, and fully agree. Something has gotten lost in translation, I suspect. I don't speak Albertan so good, it appears. (Damn, half my family is from Alberta--just north of Edmonton. Good people, if not politically wonky.)

Bottom line: All we are saying, is give Tam a chance!!

Yee-ha.

I don't know. Seems a pretty easy call for me. Would have been quite surprised if Nsaliwa would have attended the last Guat match. Very surprised.

And as to the Florida camp, what for? Gold Cup is 6 months away and he's got club commitments. Save your energy for your employer. I don't think Tam owes Yallop anything.

Call Watson.

I don't know. Seems a pretty easy call for me. Would have been quite surprised if Nsaliwa would have attended the last Guat match. Very surprised.

And as to the Florida camp, what for? Gold Cup is 6 months away and he's got club commitments. Save your energy for your employer. I don't think Tam owes Yallop anything.

Call Watson.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Tam plays in what 3rd div germany? if hes afraid of losing his job there... maybe he isnt national team quality anyways.

I think you've been following soccer in England for too long. The 2nd Bundesliga in Germany, where Tam plays, is actually their 2nd tier league. (As opposed to League Two being the 4th tier in England, what's up with that)

Also, considering how many players we take from the English 2nd tier and how much our defence has sucked (Tam has been playing central d), and with Jason De Vos most liking retiring from international soccer, we need him. Plus, he can play on the wing as well.

Personally, Tam better not play central defence!

From talking to players and coaches who have been with Tam, he definatly isnt smart enough to lead a defence, heck i might even question him on putting his shoes on by himself. Dont get me wrong, i would love to see him play on the wing but i just dont see central defence in his future.

BTW... ALI FOR CANADA :P

Tam was probably wise to stay with his club because Saarbruecken just signed a new young left footed defender from HSV (where he was not getting playing time). The team is not looking replace Nsaliwa with the new signing as he had a very strong first half but was not going to pass up an opportunity to sign a highly regarded young player. There may be plans to switch Nsaliwa to the outside or maybe the new player is intended for the outside but regardless it would probably not be a good time to leave the team and give someone else a free shot at his spot.

Archived