I'm so ashame of Canada

Luis_Rancagua

Guys, I'm going to come-out very open about my feelings on how I see the national men's program. Just the other day, I was in a school. I saw all these kids wearing national jerseys of every team in the world. From England, Scotland, Italy, Portugal, Germany, Greece, etc...

What really caught my eyes were the few kids that were wearing the USA jersey and the one from Mexico. I went up to these kids and I said to them: "hey!!!! What about Canada!!! Why are you not wearing the jersey of Canada???" The kids responded by saying: "What!!!! Are you out of your mind!!!! Are you insane!!! You must be crazy!!!! Canada is a loser team, fill with losers going nowhere!!!!"

The minute these kids said this to me, I started to cry. I do point fingers towards the CSA. In fact, the one I blame for why our soccer program has gone down the tube is Kevan Pipe. These kids are absolutely right. We have a team fill with losers. I will hope that Kevan Pipe will listen to these kids. I am willing to bet that Mr. Pipe does not have the balls to even talk to these kids or let alone listen. Mr. Pipe, never in my life have I felt so embarassed and ashame to be Canadian. These kids don't think to highly of your program.

Matters are going to get even worse where we are going to see young players such as the baby brother of DeGusman defecting to teams such as Holland. In fact, it has been announced yesterday that DeGusman's baby brother has now opted to play for Holland. Let's face it, these young kids see that the CSA does not offer any hope for the future. They prefer to play for their native country rather than Canada.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luis buddy, these are kids. The facts are they would rather be David Beckham or Ronaldo than

anyone else. As for wearing the national kits of other countries, blame the parents' fashion sense.

I admire your passion for Canadian soccer. But unlike perhaps you or Soccerbeast, I do NOT ever

believe that we're a nation of losers. We're just a nation that has its passion elsewhere.

We're a nation that aligns itself with a sport that's basically on hold, a nation that identifies

itself with Gretzky, Sakic, and Sourays, rather than De Vos, Stalteri or De Guzman. Ask the

same kids if they could name 5 Canadian players and they CANNOT. They

wouldn't even know who Dominic Mobilio was.

To get people onside, Canada needs to win more, and to do so it has to play more. I'd further

suggest that you CONTINUE to press the CSA, not to always lay blame, but to offer constructive

and concrete suggestions.

As for Jonathan de Guzman's "defection", I'm not aware of it, but I would rather wait and see.

This is NOT the first time a Canadian decides to play for another team , and I hate to say it,

as it was done before, it also won't be the last.

But I just won't give up on those who already chose Canada.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

We're just a nation that has its passion elsewhere.

We're a nation that aligns itself with a sport that's basically on hold, a nation that identifies

itself with Gretzky, Sakic, and Sourays, rather than De Vos, Stalteri or De Guzman.

Sheldon Souray thanks you for mentioning him in the same sentence as Gretzky and Sakic. Next to marrying the girl from Baywatch, this is probably the greatest thing that has ever happened to him. :)

Luis,

As someone who came to this country at a young age, I can say without a moment's hesitation that Canada is the greatest country in the WORLD! Bar none. We have not performed well in soccer but that hardly means we are losers. We have a lot to be proud of-peacekeepers, health care system, multicultural society, free elections, no war, open society, etc.

Just because our soccer program is lacking that does not mean we should be discouraged. Hockey is Canada's sport and is an integral part of our culture. Have you seen how many kids wear Canada Hockey jerseys? They are everywhere. Soccer has made great strides over the years and it will just get better.

My son was born here and he is proud of his Canadian heritage. He does not wear a Canada soccer jersey because the soccer he sees on TV is from other countries(His favourite team is Tottenham Hotspur). Once we have more pro teams playing and our national team starts winning more often, he and other youth will wear the maple leaf. In Montreal, the Impact are champions and playing to record crowds. This is only helping the cause. Young people are excited with what they see.

I remember how exciting it was in 1986 when we qualified for the World Cup. This excitement will come back once our MNT once again qualifies for the big show. Until then, support your local teams and never lose hope.:D

If you want a melting pot, go to the States.

Instead of crying about what some 7 year old said, how about correcting him and telling him what makes Canada the greatest country on earth. Have the lads check out CBC Mondays and Wednesday's at 8pm to get just a taste of some great Canadian heroes.

Btw, those same kids probably have a Canadian hockey jersey so I wouldn't hold their comments too close to my heart if I were you.

Alex

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Matters are going to get even worse where we are going to see young players such as the baby brother of DeGusman defecting to teams such as Holland. In fact, it has been announced yesterday that DeGusman's baby brother has now opted to play for Holland. Let's face it, these young kids see that the CSA does not offer any hope for the future. They prefer to play for their native country rather than Canada.

Is this true? When did he come out and say this? If this is true than thats ****ing bull****. Sure he learnt his trade in Holland, but for ****sakes... his older brother plays for Canada, we need a petition or something to contact J DeGuz Jr. Maybe even his parents?

My goodness, Luis, do you ever post anything constructive and balanced? I know you wear your emotions for all to see, but have a dose of realism every once in a while, would you? Since you are talking about kids etc, perhaps you should check out a kids story about Henny Penny, a crazy chicken who thinks the sky is falling ALL THE FREAKIN TIME!!

And to those dissing my man Sheldon Souray--back off!! The dude's a monster and a great leader. [8D]

As far as I'm concern, the whole program is probably in worse shape than ever. With the possible defection of baby DeGusman, this gives the whole program a serious black eye. I do expect other young players to do the same, unless the CSA reforms itself.

About DeGusman, there's a press release by some Dutch online newspaper that the Dutch Olympic team has extended an invitation to baby DeGusman to join their next camp. If this is true, we are expecting another Hargreave saga. For this reason we should ask ourselves the following question: why are players such as baby DeGusman defecting???

re: "we should ask ourselves the following question: why are players such as baby DeGusman defecting???"

In addition to CSF's answer, here are some other hypothetical possibilities:

2. Players go overseas at such a young age and most of their development is abroad, that they no longer associate with being Canadian.

3. Playing for England or the Netherlands is considered a bigger accomplishment.

4. Playing for England or the Netherlands increases their chances to play in serious competitions (World Cup, Euro Cup).

5. The thought of taking 12 flights, in coach class, to Panama's 38 degree humid weather doesn't sound enticing.

6. Soccer (sports in general) is more of a business now than a patriotic service.

Add as you see fit...

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I'm more ashamed of the fact that Luis hasn't been able to attend a proper ESL course.

Massive Attack, you are one big idiot, and what's so sad here is that you have not been able to comprehend the essence of my post. What comes-out shaply here is that the Canadian program is in pretty awful shape. The real question here is not whether I have been to an ESL course, but rather how we see the CSA and the men's program within the next 5 years. If you can't understand this simple reality, than I don't know what to say about you.

Luis, Luis. The CSA's program is in poor shape. That's not news.

But let me help you. Firstly, those exclamation marks!!!!! I know it's just grammar,

but it distracts everyone from TAKING YOUR MESSAGE SERIOUSLY. And as for the CSA, this is

not the first time you've made your remarks known, right? It's just that "Fire Pipe/Sharpe/Yallop"

is not a suggestion; it's a complaint. And when people complain too much they get neglected.

However, a call for "a review of our Men's programs for 2007 and beyond" is a SUGGESTION and

is worthwhile. This is how bureaucrats communicate.

As for crying in front of 13 and 14 years olds, two things come to mind:

1) they DON'T respect adults who are cry-babies, and

2) without assuming a Michael Jackson-type issue, why the hell are you bothering with

13-14 year old boys? They're kids for Christ's sake. They know sh*t!!! They think money

is not earned -- it comes from the ATM.

Instead of crying, I'd search for a bully like Nelson (from the Simpsons) to teach them

a lesson about patriotism. :-)

Or read my initial post above, right after yours. Passion misdirected is effort wasted.

Hey... Hey... Hey...

Slagging off Luis (mythical or not) for showing some honesty about the pain that can be suffered in a surprise moment is disrespectful.

When Luis said he was disappointend in 'Canada' he meant the MNT. He has said nothing aginst Canada the nation.

I came to tears following a couple results (tonnes of alcohol helped and blows to the head) and I have sunk back into a world where no one has heard of soccer. I'll support the MNT to the ends of the earth, but I also voted Green Party in an Alberta Election.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Sheldon Souray thanks you for mentioning him in the same sentence as Gretzky and Sakic. Next to marrying the girl from Baywatch, this is probably the greatest thing that has ever happened to him. :)

Actually, it was Cale Hulse that married the girl from Baywatch.

Just a little experience I had this summer with the EURO on and all, I couldn't believe the number of footie shirts that were out there being worn by the kids. Now how many of those kids could name half the French squad, or Italian squad I don't know. But they were wearing them.

And just to give a little hope to that mythical and mischevious sprite we call Luis Rancaqua, yet another useless Cheeta story. It involves a new Adidas Canada shirt, this years MLS Cup final, and a kid.

Very busy this summer. Too busy. No weekends at Vince Leah never mind WCQ tour for yours truly this year. But I managed to steal some time to catch a few local ameture matchs this year and took the Little One out to the MLS Cup final at RRC. Plenty of kids (which is always nice to see) and the sort of kids who want to be at the match to watch it (which is even nicer to see). So at the half as everybody's milling about what should walk by the bleachers where I'm standing but a brand new Canada Adidas shirt. And what should be inside this shirt but a 12-13 year old lad. It gets better still. There's a number 5 on the back of this shirt. Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's the kid's number. But then again, maybe it's Big Kev's! (wears #5 at Hearts, just about every other number with Canada).

So I up and yells "Oy! McKenna!" Not too loud, but loud enough to be heard given the half time racket. Don't know if Big Kev had family out this way, but the kid's head starts twisting about in scan mode. Little One gave my arm a squeeze and a curse so that was pretty much the end of that. Guess she thought the lad was cute and didn't want any attention.

But there you have it. Another young Canada support with no hope for anything but a lonely job keeping up the cause. God Bless the poor bugger.

Archived