I'm so ashame of Canada

Luis_Rancagua

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

I teach Spanish. I was previously working at CIBC. I left the corporate world because of the turbulence of the markets. And yes!!!! I was a former grave digger during my university years. This is how I got the name Luis Rancagua. By the way, I've already met Gianluca once before. He didn't realise it. That's because I introduced myself under my real name.

Out of curiosity, when was this, Luis?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what? It would be soooo cool being a grave digger. Next to night watchman at the Centenial Library, being grave digger at Elmwood Cemetary would be the next best thing on earth as far as I'm concearned.

Peace. Quiet. Outdoors in the sun most days. All those funky 100 year old headstones, and St. Mary's and what-nots keeping you company. No shirt and the headphones just a blasting all day long while you get the riding mower up into 2nd gear. Man, that would rock.

All your friends would call you "Digger".

Sure, you'd have to lay the boots to some trespassing, after dark, punk vandals now and again but hey, what the Hell, think of it as just another benefit.

Yeah. Grave digger. That's where it's at.

Did I ever tell you guys about "The Undertaker" who ran into me and a buddy this one time at The Central? Or was that The 'Villa? Ah, the rocks in my head.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

Truenorth, I absolutely could not disagree more with you. I don't know how much Canadian soccer you've watched over the past decade but the first game aside against Guatemala, I think the team played aggresive (very rare for a Canadian team) and pretty well for Frank once they began to gel as a team. Notice how I said, "once they began to gel" , meaning in my opinion, the blame goes on the CSA for not arranging any quality friendlies (Belize and San Jose don't count) before qualifying began to get the team used to playing together under a brand new coach. And when are people gonna stop crying about Lars not playing goal during the qualifying tourney??,,, yes he did get a clean sheet in a meaningless game where it sounds the whole team played great, but the facts are he was riding the pine as a backup goalie in Scotland all season and when he did get his chance to shine he gave up something like 7 or 8 goals in his 2 starts, this is Scotland remember, not England or Germany. Lars was not on top of his game at all and was not playing any first team football either when qualifying began, there is no way you could start him. The only other options were an unknown A-league goalie to Frank in Sutton, and a goalie from MLS that had won him a championship in Onstad. Of course with limited time and no real friendlies Frank would choose the goalie he's been through the wars with that won him a championship. I'm not an Onstad fan, nor am I a Lars fan until he proves he can play first team football in a quality league (I'm sure theres a good reason why he's not sticking on with all these clubs he's had trials and loans with) I think we got spoiled with a world calibre goalie in Forrest, and have had no one that can fill his shoes since he retired, the goalie position is a huge weakspot on our roster now and hopefully Sutton or one of these youngsters can step up.

KG-Yes i have watched the national team even prior to their one and only World Cup appearence. But i disagree that Canada played well in that first game against Guatemala. They outplayed us,out worked us, and out hussled us in ever aspect of the game, we're were never in it.

I agree we miss Craig Forrest thats for sure. But Onstad gave up some pretty careless goals that Lars or sutton could have handled. Our top

goalkeeping prospect in the young keeper from the last World youth cup

championships ,he is said to have a lot of promise, so get him in now,or when ever we play again,which might be awhile according to the CSA and their budget plans.

Truenorth, I think you misread my post, I said "aside from the first Guatemala game" meaning besides that game, Canada got better and better each time out,, but yes, we looked horrible that first game. That first game goes to show how much a difference in preparation can make or break world cup qualifying. Leading up to that game , our only real prep was 2 games against minnow Belize (we would have been better off playing an A-league team or Canadian college team) and an exhibition against San Jose, that just doesn't cut it. Meanwhile Guatemala played a whole bunch of friendlies against Concacaf and other quality soccer countries and were very well prepared, it's like we ran straight into a buzzsaw that game. Even more unbelievable, we have a brand new coach who is still trying to evaluate the players and implement his system, and were not playing any quality friendlies?? I don't blame Frank at all for that as many players have stated , his hands were tied, and I'm pretty sure he would have killed to have 4 quality friendlies as Guatemala did leading up to it. However I do blame the "higher-ups" in the CSA for not recognizing this and budgeting well for it,, this is a world cup qualifying year,,, Where we needed our biggest budget!!! I'm willing to give Yallop another chance, based on the fact that he still has not even been on the job for a year, and I liked what I saw from the team after that first game, they seem to play with a more aggressive style rather then the old just "boot it and chase it down method" as we did a lot in the past. He's got a good young core to build around, lets see how they perform at the Gold Cup,,, but most important, lets have one of these good young goalie prospects we have step up to the forefront....as it is definitely our weakspot right now.

Truenorth, I agree , if we do have a poor showing in Yallop's second year on the job at the Gold Cup, then there should be serious consideration about bouncing him, and we still have 3 years to line up a coach before the next qualifying begins. However if we play like we did the last 5 games of this world cup qualifying, and get a little better goaltending and officiating, I will be shocked if we perform poorly. I think we will see a change of the guard in players now with Onstad , Watson, Radz , Pesch gone from the national team and Devos, Stalteri, Deguz and Dero mixing in nice with our good young core (Hume, Atiba, Simpson, Occean , hopefully Tam) At least the Gold Cup next year gives us something to look forward to.

Archived