Canada vs Costa Rica to be played in Vancouver

Jarrek

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Well, I am not sure how you would sell tickets in Commonwealth if nobody has heard a thing about it on radio, tv or newspaper. This must be the worst advertised game thus far in Edmonton coming on the heals of the fall of Aviators. It's very strange, but the crowd at Commonwealth is going to be terrible if things go the way they are going.

For Trinidad, we had a law firm that was taking control of the game's advertising. For this game, nothing! I wonder what has happened behind the doors in terms of advertising because this is terrible.

Reza, the CSA must have some money for promotion and advertising. If the mainstream media is too expensive or unresponsive, perhaps there is an opportunity here for the Voyageurs to win an advertising contract, however nominal. I KNOW we have the collective expertise we need to have an impact. The Voyageurs have a wide array of professional and technical skills, and we have contacts in every corner of this country. Just a thought. I'd like to discuss these ideas and many more in person with a bunch of you soon.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

My biggest worry--making sure that we pack the house full of Canadian fans, and shutting the Tico fans out. Tickets go on sale really soon, which is a disadvantage for us--the Tico fans will be first at the gates in ferocious fashion while the non-Voyageur public for the most part will not even know about tickets until late September.

Beaver, you are bang-on ! I was at the last CR match at Commonwealth (a 1-0 victory for the good guys!) and there must have been 4000 - 5000 Tico fans all organized and sitting in one large, noisy mass. It would be nice if they could delay ticket sales till after the Guatemala match, but obviously that isn't happening.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Beaver, you are bang-on ! I was at the last CR match at Commonwealth (a 1-0 victory for the good guys!) and there must have been 4000 - 5000 Tico fans all organized and sitting in one large, noisy mass. It would be nice if they could delay ticket sales till after the Guatemala match, but obviously that isn't happening.

What the CSA should do to avoid this problem is that they should sell a few tickets to the Costa Rican soccer fed. or any other visiting country and give them a small section.....like this the only way the TICOS could purchase tickets is buying them from their soccer fed.

quote:Originally posted by Dante79
What the CSA should do to avoid this problem is that they should sell a few tickets to the Costa Rican soccer fed. or any other visiting country and give them a small section.....like this the only way the TICOS could purchase tickets is buying them from their soccer fed.

sstackho: That is to say if air canada is still around in the time of the hex...Living in belgium i dont know the whole story on the air canada situation, but i do know that the local trvael agent here wohn't book anyone on air canada if their trip is in or later than september...however if air canada IS operatingh.....i know they fly daily from halifax to londn, so im assuming they do the same route back...it'd be an easy 9im assuming) connection from halifax to st johns that way. I think u can get flights from frankfurt directly to halifax as well, although this is not confirmed, it's just what i heard form a friend of mine talking about it.

quote:Originally posted by Dante79

That won't help.. the problem is not Ticos fans visiting from Cost rica. Its ticos fans comming up in droves from the US. they will not nor do they need to go through their federation

True! so what should the CSA do??

This begs the questions of should we have a dedicated home and away section with passport checks to ensure a pro Canadian crowd.

Alternatively, the CSA could think of other strategies such as only selling tickets in Ticketmaster outlets in Canada. By doing this it would stop the ticos getting their hands on the tickets so easily over the phone/net.

I remember a couple years ago reading about washington Capitals owner (the computer guy) made a program that checked the zip code of the people purchasing tickets over the internet so that when teams from near buy played in washington, they opposing fans would not be able to buy tickets online....maybe the csa should give him a ring haha

No passport checks because that excludes many people living in Canada.

Just advertise a distinct travelling section (for Ticos in Canada and the CRFA) and don't sell tickets to addresses outside of Canada (mail or credit card).

All well and good, but someone should write the CSA now and make that suggestion. All fine and good for President Andy Sharpe whining publicly about not filling our stands with foreigners, but he has no executive powers, or won't try to exercise some, and nothing is done. The problem with the CSA is that the right hand doesn't know what the left is ever doing.

If they thought about the fact that Swangard (unlike Commonwealth) will certainly sell out, they would not worry about the simple and unobjectionable policy of limiting Ticketmaster sales to Canadian sources. The FIFA rules only deal with procedures necessary when foreign associations make special requests for visiting supporters seats.

I agree that Commonwealth is probably the best venue, but as has been mentioned earlier there may be a football conflict. I was there for the Australia series and it was awesome with 30k plus in the house on a beautiful day. But that was really an elimination series against a single team for all the marbles. I'd be willing to bet you won't get 30k for the qualifier. Swangard is small. But they're going to put bleachers around the north side for this game so capacity will be higher than 6000. With the proper bleachers in place you can get 10k plus there (they did it for an England match a while back). Plus the pitch is generally good. Whether it will be cold enough to be a disadvantage for the visitors is a legit question, but at least it is pretty guaranteed to be playable (ie no snow). I really can't see the need to play this series in 50k+ stadia, and the CSA will keep the costs down greatly while getting a decent atmosphere.

So I guess Swangard is as good as any, but I'm sure there are other options as well. BTW Is Claude Robillard a grass surface?

quote:Originally posted by whitecapsfan

BTW Is Claude Robillard a grass surface?

Yes sir.

It would be a great venue, except for the fact that it is full of local Central American, Mexicans and Carribeans, and close to NYC.

It would be a good site for a hex match, say against Trinidad, where we can not expect huge crowds.

So I guess Swangard is as good as any, but I'm sure there are other options as well. BTW Is Claude Robillard a grass surface?

CCR is a terrible, terrible grass surface, with grass always too long and the field is bumpy (but you can't see it on TV); I'm not sure if the field is FIFA-size. I'd still rather have a game there than 2 in Van City, though :S.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

I agree Daniel... more games in the East!! BOO YOU WESTERN Crap Heads.. Ya im talking about you Krammerhead and possibly Current Champ!!! ;)

Eastern Alienation.

Now you how we out west have been feeling about for years.:D

I agree that Commonwealth is probably the best venue, but as has been mentioned earlier there may be a football conflict. I was there for the Australia series and it was awesome with 30k plus in the house on a beautiful day. But that was really an elimination series against a single team for all the marbles. I'd be willing to bet you won't get 30k for the qualifier. Swangard is small. But they're going to put bleachers around the north side for this game so capacity will be higher than 6000.

There's going to be bleachers in the north end for the August 18th game as well. Those bleachers are always there. Whats so damn special about those bleachers?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

They did cut the grass for the WC game tonight, but you could still see the ball bumping along on ground passes.

But has there ever been a game played in canada ( aside from the championsworld games) where we haven't seen the ball bouncing up and down as it rolls?

as far as regulation size. I seem to recall that this was a question mark in just about every other stadium in canada. Furthermore, the track at CCR has been used several times in the past for the canadian track and field championships and if (everywhere else in the world) they fit a regulation size pitch within the confines of a world-sized track and filed facility, then why would CCR's soccer pitch be smaller? are they purposely schrinking the soccer pitch? If they are, then I would imagine that it is expandable, or No?

I'm just disappointed the CSA and Yallop did not use a little more inventiveness to wring out home advantage like all the Central American teams we faced did. Hope we come out flying to cover this up!

I'm not criticizing Yallop, I think it's right that he have the ultimate decision (and make no mistake, the choice of Burnaby was ulitmately his, this was probably a condition of his being made coach). It is better than the CSA bureaucrats making the decision, but it would have been nice if a few more calculating choices were made.

I guess the bottom line is that the coach, and the players who have the coach's ear now, have spoken. They want to play as much in Vancouver as possible. They do not want cold weather, but they do like playing in the evening. They want to play on natural grass, not FieldTurf, to avoid injury and so they can play like they play for their clubs without figuring in turf transition (like they will have to do at Saprissa). They are happy with the relative roughness of Swangard's grass (as with Kingston), they see it as a small advantage for thier longer, more aerial game. With all the difficulties they face in Central America and and all the travel they face everywhere, they don't feel adding to the mix is all in their favour. They want to be at least comfortable when they come to Canada. They are the ones that should make the choices. I just hope and trust that they are the right ones.

Finally someone talking positive! The thing that I see here is that the venues that Yallop chooses for WCQ will the ones that the players want. I remember it being mentioned some time ago (during the training camp for Belize) that the boys wanted to play in a comfortable atmosphere. So what I conclude is that if Commonwealth cant be used because of the Eskimos, Swangard is the next best thing because its not field turf and because Vancouver is a soccer city with passion and history. Now with the talk about Caude Robillard...I think Yallop will look into it when (thats definitely a when and not an if) we qualify for the hex. I believe that we will probably not see Frank Clair or Molson stadium because they won't play on fieldturf. But we will know this for sure after the Saprissa game.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But has there ever been a game played in canada ( aside from the championsworld games) where we haven't seen the ball bouncing up and down as it rolls?

as far as regulation size. I seem to recall that this was a question mark in just about every other stadium in canada. Furthermore, the track at CCR has been used several times in the past for the canadian track and field championships and if (everywhere else in the world) they fit a regulation size pitch within the confines of a world-sized track and filed facility, then why would CCR's soccer pitch be smaller? are they purposely schrinking the soccer pitch? If they are, then I would imagine that it is expandable, or No?

Swangard has an international size pitch and CCR's pitch looks to be the same size.

Regarding having games at the CCR wasn't their a recent post on these baords stating fans in Montreal don't really care about the national team?

Archived