Canada vs Costa Rica to be played in Vancouver

Jarrek

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont agree with that decision! the Vancouver stadium is not intimidating for the visiting team! Vancouver got the first game so why did the CSA choosed them again? Edmonton would of been more appropiate anyways too late. We need to play in big stadiums! Whats the capacity of Swangard ???

Did you not read the thread? The Eskimos have a home game 2 days before this match which may not leave enough time to get the stadium set up for soccer, and Edmonton's tickets for the first game aren't exactly selling well.

How would you know how intimidating Swangard stadium is? A full Swangard would be more intimidating than a 90% empty Commonwealth.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

For the WCQ approximately 6,800.

OK but dont you think that for WCQ a team needs to play with a bigger crownd. Canada is a big country so technically we should play in front of at least 30 000 maybe a bit less.

Where do you suggest we play then, and where in Canada do you think we'll get 30,000 to watch Costa Rica play?

Canada is a big country correct. It has a few big cities, and most of it's inhabitants prefer hockey, or other American sports.

St John's Newfieland is only 40% of the distance from London, England, to Vancouver and has about 12,000 seats. There would be a near sell-out (it would really be an event there), the weather is often raw there year round, and it would be harder for the Central Amerians and Carribeans, even the ones in the US, to get to. It would have really cut down on the travelling, especially for the October 13 match trip where they first have to go to San Pedro Sula, Honduras, for the match on October 9.

Honduras is the same distance from Vancouver and St John's, but the total accumuation of travel for the 2 match October trip is really magnified by choosing the west coast instead of the east coast.

Well it will be really interesting to see the reasoning behind the choice of stadium. I'm sure there's more to it than just picking Vancouver over all others. Good to see the "supporters" getting in their excuses early. Nice to hear that our own players hate playing in Vancouver.

Where do you suggest we play then, and where in Canada do you think we'll get 30,000 to watch Costa Rica play?

Canada is a big country correct. It has a few big cities, and most of it's inhabitants prefer hockey, or other American sports.

You have a point about people prefering hockey I dont know wich stadiums they could of used for that game I would of loved to see the game held in Edomonton but the stadium wont be available! there must be a reason why they choose Vancouver! anyways where ever they play I hope we win and in the end that what really counts :)

Beaches, We'd probly have trouble gettuing OUR fans out to a game in St Johns. However, i didnt previously know that u could get 12,000 ppl in that stadium, i figured it would be smaller, so if it would be posssible to fill that place it would definitly be a good venue.

6.6 degrees C is still quite a lot cooler than what it ould be in Costa rica, so i dont think we're losing much in the lines of a weather advantage. The key problem, as stated already, is going to be the jet lag factor

Why do I have to have an opinon on everything?

Even though Vancouver is 4 time zones away from me I agree with this selection. A full 7,000 seat stadium showing support is better for our team than a large 1/2 full venue . I get the feel from talking to folk that unless you're a hardcore soccer freak most Canadians who acknowledge soccer hardly know about Canada in WCQ and the upcoming games. But EPL and the upcoming season....a different story.

Let's get through this years round and see if intersest is there for the final Q round before we look to fill large venues .

(No argh, no side rants on playing friendlies at home between WCQ...FOCUS....stay on topic...)

St. John's King George V Stadium I'll refer you to this thread.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3830

So CSA must have something against temporary seating that didn't bother them before.

It just occured to me. Is there some problem with Claude Robillard , field size ? something ? After all Montreal and Vancouver are really the only two Canadian cities that have proven that numbers will show up consistently for SOCCER .

Recently , and I stress recently . Before everyone goes to the archives to prove me wrong.

Might be an interseting choice for the next round .

Marcl_19 what makes you say we would have trouble getting 'our fans' out to a match in St. John's? I believe they got in the range of 5-6k for the senior mens championship. If there was a suitable 10k seat stadium I would wager it would be full.

St. John's would be be perfect place for late autumn matches if that stadium was brought up to an acceptable level. It is just a 4 to 5 hour flight from London....depending on which direction you are travelling.

Ug.

Further proof no one else in the country, with any creditability, is willing to take on hosting this match.

Yallop played a decade in England and should know better. But what do you do? Beg the Impact to host a WCQ?

Swangard no matter how you slice it is a small venue, so similiar sized parks can't be ruled out when looking east. But if no one else wants to put this on, no one else wants to put this on.

If the CSA wanted Swangard for two opening WCQ dates they would have announced them right off the hop. They waited I'm going to guess, because they were looking for other options in other cities to develop and they didn't. So back to Vancouver.

If 10 million Canadians living in southern Ontario can't find it to build a park to rival Swangard I guess we'll be Left Coasting it from here on in.

Pity. Could've got some time off in October (maybe). Edmonton would be easier than Vancouver by a long shot.

Greater pity for our lads in red. That's a long, long, round trip from Europe on a short schedule. We will not see them at their best.

quote:The stadium in St. John's is being renovated, it may not have been possible to use it.

I understand that. My point is that after renonvation(if renovations bring it up to international standard) it should be considered due to the relative closeness to Europe and distance from most countries in our region.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

It just occured to me. Is there some problem with Claude Robillard , field size ? something ? After all Montreal and Vancouver are really the only two Canadian cities that have proven that numbers will show up consistently for SOCCER .

Recently , and I stress recently . Before everyone goes to the archives to prove me wrong.

Might be an interseting choice for the next round .

Certainly has to be one of the biggest mysteries surounding the CSA. You have two stadiums in MOntreal for soccer. One field turf capable of holding 20K plus and the other, a natural turf field capable of holding 9-10K plus. You cannot tell me that both would not be available for both days and that Ottawa is not available because there are no events scheduled in and around that day at that facility ( I have checked ) . You have direct flights from Frankfurt and London to Montreal in 5-6 hours. you have strong support for soccer in those areas. Hell you even have options in atlantic canada Kingston, Toronto( if you are really serious), sudbury with much shorter trips and or very very frequent and short connections. Dont tell me that they are all not available or taht there is any less support for soccer in these places than practically anywhere else that Canada played at home. Plus, for most of the players, it would mean playing in front of family and close freinds ( a greater likelyhood) which would help attendance, support and remove the sting of the hefty travel sacrifices.

Of course its crucial that the team play in swangard since canadian soccer and soccer history is well rooted there and well supported. But come on, twice in three months and for the match in october ( in the middle of when the players season is in full swing)to boot? That wasn't necessary and defies logic. Even if Swangard can creative the hostile environment that we want, but at what cost is yallop trying to achieve this? Its bound to build anymosity amongst the players and if you keep doing it enough players will get tired of it and wonder whats the point.

PS.; My views have absolutely nothing to do with wanting to see games placed close to home for selfish reasons of wanting to see games. Don't even think the east west thing.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Ug.

If 10 million Canadians living in southern Ontario can't find it to build a park to rival Swangard I guess we'll be Left Coasting it from here on in.

But there are several options to rival swangard in capacity in eastern ontario, Ottawa, montreal.... and if you really want, you could do it in toronto also. As Champions world has proven

quote:Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

I understand that. My point is that after renonvation(if renovations bring it up to international standard) it should be considered due to the relative closeness to Europe and distance from most countries in our region.

the problem with St John's is that I don't know that it reduces that travel distances all than much if you have to connect from TO, or Mon. But with other places in Atlantic canada, if possible, would likely be good

quote:quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Canuck in Boston

It is just a 4 to 5 hour flight from London....depending on which direction you are travelling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Beachesl

Hey, glad that someone has been taking logic lessons from Yogi Berra.

I guess I forgot to take out 'from London' when I re-wrote that sentence. Thanks Spock.

Archived