U-20 Canada Australia Report

An Observer

I just came back from watching the match live on Eurosport here in the UK.

It my honest opinion, we were a bit unlucky to not get out of this match with a least a tie. Hume hit the cross bar near the end of the first half after a brillant run from the half way line. This guy is the real deal. He scored on another excellent run from Hutchinson to the top of the 18 yard box where he layed it off for Hume who in matter of a split second put it onto his right foot and wacked into the bottom right hand corner. The dude can finish.

Although there were some positives, there were also some negatives. We still give the ball away way too much at this level both with our back three (especially Harmse) hoofing the ball up the field and with our midfielders just plain making poor decisions with the ball. We also fell asleep on the Aussies goal. The first one we allowed one of their midfielders to walk to the top of our 18 yard box and then put a through ball into the box with neither Arrango or Marshal picking up their striker. On the second one, we lost the ball after a throw in I believe (again a poor decision) and had a couple of missed tackles on the left hand side about half way in our half, and then the midfielders were slow tracking back and one of their players simply laid it off to their winger coming up the field to score.

As for overall ratings of each player, here they are:

Karim - Fair, did nothing really wrong but looks shakey on crosses and balls into the near post. His kicking isn't great either. Needs to improve both of these aspects if he is to move up.

Harmse - Fair, very strong (especially in the air) and can certainly cross the ball well. But he's a bit slow on the turn which I think will be exploited at the pro level. He also is the worse of the back 3 at hoofing the ball up the field for no reason.

Arango - Above Average, capable, and read the game well in the middle. Cleaned up well but also guilty of giving the ball away as well. He is also a bit slow.

Marshal - Strong, the best of the back 3 in my opinion. He's reasonably fast for a big man. Reads the game well, strong in the air, rarely gets beat, and competent on the ball. I mean he's not going to go the length of the field on the dribble but then again, he's a center back. I would like to see him get out of the US college system and get to Europe. Here's hoping some European scouts share my view.

Simpson - Fair, he does things well but in my opinion just seems to be missing something. Never quite seems to be that confident on the ball even though he does create chances for others. He is fast enough and solid enough defensively but not sure he will ever make it to the national team.

Chin - Above Average, he's all over the pitch like a little dynamo and never stops running. He is competent on the ball and can hold it well. Can also create space for himself. But he never seems to put in the telling through ball or beat his man. He's also small and as he lack's pace and vision I am not sure he's got much of a future beyond this level.

Hutchison - Strong, never gives the ball away (which is a big thing on this team). He can also run with it and pass it as he did to set up Hume for his goal. We could use a few more of him. He doesn't sometimes seem to overrun the play a bit on defense but I would rather that than not being there.

DiTullio (Sub for Belotte) - Fair, was strong throughout the match. Tackled well and held onto the ball better than most. But nothing spectacular here. Again, as with some of the others, I think he is missing something to go to the next level.

Bruno - Fair, interesting player as he definitely looks like a football player the way he receives and passes the ball probably more than any other player on the side including Hume. He even seems to dribble with the ball well but never took anyone on and was guilty of time and time again of giving the ball away under pressure. This being said, I think maybe he has more of an upside than say Simpson or DiTullio if he could get to Europe and play at a higher level to develop some more confidence.

Lemire (Sub for Simpson) - Fair, can certainly dribble with the ball when given some space but not great at holding the ball up or passing. Really didn't see enough of him to make a great assessment but doesn't seem to have improved significantly since I saw him year ago agains the US in qualifying.

Hume - Strong, good with the ball and dangerous when running with it or moving into space. Great goal and excellent effort that went off the cross bar. My one criticism is that he needs to learn how to bring his team into the game more. Plays a bit to direct for me in that he is always trying to turn and run at people. Would prefer him to hold the ball up better and create space for himself to bring his teammates into the match more.

Matondo - Above Average, the only reason I give him above average is that he has pace to burn and somehow gets himself into good positions. But he needs to hold onto the ball better as he loses it too often. In this sense, he's a bit erratic in that one moment he doesn't something well and the next he simply gives the ball back to the opposition. Still has a lot to learn but because of the pace he has may have an upside for the national side.

Belotte - Poor, In the 17 minutes he was on the field, did nothing and looks slow. Maybe I shouldn't rate him but it seems his star is on the down side. Was removed as part of a tactical decision I believe as DiTullio was put on to shore up the midfield which definitely worked.

Thanks for the report, your comments are certainly interesting.

I never like to see coaches make tactical subs that early in the game - it does suggest we didn't know our opposition as well as we should have done. On the other hand, if it was done because Belotte was really out of shape & off his game, you have to question why he would have started the match again (as usually those sorts of things can be detected prior to the match getting underway).

Having said that, overall it sounds like Mitchell has the team playing more competitively than James did in 2001.

Wow! Thanks for the very detailed game report - next best thing to seeing the game - great work!

Too bad that you only view a few players to have real future potential, since this team came with a lot of promise. Your honesty in calling it as you saw is appreciated though.

You've highlighted Matondo's problem. However, he's only had some sub time in his first ever pro season (he was playing senior provincial amateur before) and I think that a full season as starter would really do him a tremendous amount of good. Last season, some games he'd lose the ball more often than not and some games he'd pull off some crazy moves to get past 2 players and be dangerous.

December 1, 2003

Aussies score close 2-1 win over Canada at world youth soccer championship

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- Alex Brosque and substitute Matt McKaay scored to give Australia a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Canada in their Group C World Youth Championship soccer game Monday.

Canada, which lost 2-0 to tournament favourite Brazil in the opening Group C game Friday, will wrap up its first-round schedule against the Czech Republic on Thursday. Australia, which drew 1-1 with the Czech Republic in its opener, finishes off against Brazil.

Australia dominated possession for most of the contest but tireless performances from Canadian strikers Iain Hume and Sita-Taty Matondo and midfielder Atiba Hutchinson kept the pressure on the Young Socceroos.

The under-20 game, played in front of about 4,000 fans at 18,000-seat Rashid Stadium, saw South Korean referee Jong Chul Kwon hand out five yellow cards: three to Australian players and two to Canada.

In other matches, Spain defeated Mali 2-0 and Burkina Faso edged Slovakia 1-0.

Australia's first goal, scored in the 12th minute, unfolded in textbook fashion, coming after a series of crisp passes spread out the Canadian midfield defence. When Brosque got the ball inside the box, the striker from Australian club Marconi easily rounded goalkeeper Alim Karim to score.

Hume, who plays for Tranmere Rovers in the English Second Division, equalized against the tide of play with a hard, low strike from the edge of the box in the 33rd minute.

The goal gave the Canadians a confidence boost and seemed to swing the momentum in their favour for the rest of the second half. Late in the first half Hume, whose balance and pace constantly threatened Australia, sprinted clear with the ball near the centre of the pitch, beat three defenders and powered a long drive at the opponents' goal, hitting the crossbar.

Australia scored the winner eight minutes into the second half, with midfielder Vince Lia finding Brosque loose inside the box, who tapped it left to second-half substitute McKay to score from close range.

Australia's defence, led by goalkeeper Nathan Coe, who plays in the Inter Milan system, withstood Canada's constant pressure throughout the second half.

Lineups

Australia: Nathan Coe, Alex Wilkinson, David Tarka, Carl Valeri, Spase Dilevski, Mile Jedinak (Dustin Wells, 72), Scott McDonald (Michael Baird, 60th), Alex Brosque, Massimo Murdocca (Matt McKay, 46th), Vince Lia, Michael Thwaite.

Canada: Alim Karim, Winston Marshall, Kevin Harmse, Adres Arango, Gordon Chin, Iain Hume, Wyn Belotte (Jason Di Tullio, 17th), Francesco Bruno (Nikolas Ledgerwood, 81st), Atiba Hutchinson, Josh Simpson (Chris Lemire, 68th), Sita-Tay Matondo.

Sounds like progress but our midfield still has not reached the level where we can play our opponents expecting 50% possession. I think this goal will have to be achieved before we can realistically expect to advance from the first round of the WYC. We also need to start qualifying for the U17 championships to some of the players more experience.

I'm glad that there is some progress, though.

Belotte - Poor, In the 17 minutes he was on the field, did nothing and looks slow. Maybe I shouldn't rate him but it seems his star is on the down side. Was removed as part of a tactical decision I believe as DiTullio was put on to shore up the midfield which definitely worked.

Not really suprising.

Indeed.

Can we put the Belotte hype to rest?

I looked at this competition as his make it or break it opportunity. His career is on a downward slide and with the international soccer community watching, this was his chance to up his stock.

He's failed miserably. Enough excuses.

I'd like to see Godfrey get his shot in the next match.

http://www.fifa.com/en/display/article,73098.html

Australia down valiant Canucks (2-1)

(FIFA.com) 29 Nov 2003

1_12_03_can_aus_1.jpg

Canadian Forward Wyn Belotte (L) vies with Australian Spase Dilevski ® during their FIFA World Youth Championship Group c match in Dubai 01 December 2003.

AFP PHOTO/Osama ABU GHANEM AFP PHOTO/Osama ABU GHANEM AFP PHOTO/Osama ABU GHANEM

Australia virtually made sure of their passage into the second round of UAE 2003 with a hard-earned victory against a plucky Canadian side at the Rashid stadium in Dubai on Monday. An early goal in each half from Alex Brosque and Matt McKay took the Young Socceroos to four points in Group C, while Canada, who scored their first goal in more than 500 minutes of youth competition through Iain Hume, are left without points but still a slim chance of going through when they take on the Czech Republic in their final match on Thursday.

It was a physical opening with no inch given as both sides tore into each other. Canadian captain Gordon Chin had a 20-yarder sting the hands of Nathan Coe, but after more weighty challenges it was the Young Socceroos who grabbed the early lead.

Advancing to the edge of the penalty area, Internazionale midfielder Carl Valeri slipped the ball to Alex Brosque for the striker to finish neatly with his left foot (1-0, 12).

Canada responded as Chin delivered a tantalising cross that Hume was inches away from converting. Surprisingly, Canucks’ coach Dale Mitchell brought off striker Wyn Belotte and brought on midfielder Jason Di Tullio, pushing Hume as the main frontman.

“It was a tactical swap,” Mitchell said later. “We went with an attacking formation with three strikers and it wasn’t working out.”

Inches away

But it was Australia who came close again. Brosque pulled back a deep cross and captain Scott McDonald, spinning 10 yards out, was just inches away with his shot.

Gradually though Canada were coming more into the match and they snatched a fine equaliser. Atiba Hutchinson strode forward from the back and fed his old friend Hume. The Tranmere Rovers player, clearly enjoying his more central position, controlled instantly and fired a right-foot shot low into the corner (1-1, 33).

The North Americans were now on top and Chin struck another attempt over before Hume almost produced the goal of the tournament.

The number 9 picked the ball up just inside his own half, sprinted directly at the defence and, this time with his left foot from fully 25 yards, crashed his shot against the top of the bar.

1_12_03_can_aus_3.jpg

Australian Carl Valeri (L) duels with Canadian Josh Simpson ®, during their FIFA World Youth Championship Group C match in Dubai 01 December 2003.

Rabih MOGHRABI

Another Ange Postecoglou half-time teamtalk and another goal the Young Socceroos minutes immediately after the restart. Vince Lia produced a defence splitting ball to Brosque who unselfishly teed up substitute Matt McKay to side-foot home to the glee of the Australian supporters (2-1, 51).

“McKay’s an intelligent player. He gave us more balance, gets into smart places in big games and is always likely to come up with the goods,” said Australian coach Postecoglou.

Like lightning

Try as they might Canada were unable to pierce the well-organised Australian backline. Absent in the first half, Sita-Taty Matondo announced his presence in the second with a superb flick over a defender’s head on the touchline that brought warm applause from the crowd. Using his astonishing speed he next got to the byline and drilled in a dangerous low cross that was well gathered by Nathan Coe.

The game was really opening up and another goal looking likely. But although Matondo continued to pose a threat, Hume was being tightly watched following his heroics in the opening period. There were some late scares but Australia hung on to grab the points and a near-certain berth in the next round.

“We started poorly in both halves,” bemoaned Mitchell. “At the end we could have got the equaliser but it wasn’t to be.

“At the moment we can do certain things well for some of the time but not all things well for all of the time. It helps if you’re playing in a professional league and you have plenty of time to prepare.”

“We still have to see if we’re through but we’ll go all out for a win in our last match anyway. Brazil have a great track record at youth level but you want to finish top of the group and we’ll give it 100%,” added Postecoglou.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Indeed.

I looked at this competition as his make it or break it opportunity. His career is on a downward slide and with the international soccer community watching, this was his chance to up his stock.

I'd like to see Godfrey get his shot in the next match.

Well, I'd have to disagree. I wouldn't call this his make or break opportunity...I mean...has he reached the age of 20 yet?

He's not good enough to be among the U-20 elite, we know that. But who knows, he could still become a good player with a few more years of development under his belt. There have been plenty of great players around the world who were absolute nobodies at the U-20 level.

Disappointing loss, but I was happy that Mitchell started three forwards. Maybe it was misguiaded since it led to an early swap, but I admire the sentiment.

You've got to see the photo of Hume's goal celebration. It put a big smile on my face. Think Brazil 94 with a little London 77 thrown in. I love that kid.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Disappointing loss, but I was happy that Mitchell started three forwards. Maybe it was misguiaded since it led to an early swap, but I admire the sentiment.

You've got to see the photo of Hume's goal celebration. It put a big smile on my face. Think Brazil 94 with a little London 77 thrown in. I love that kid.

cheers,

matthew

Where can we find the photo?

I can't find it on-line. I saw it on the Canadian press web site and I can't upload stuff from there on-line. Hopefully it surfaces somewhere soon. I figured since they had all the Brazil shots from AP on the yahoo site, the Hume shot would be easy to find. Maybe not.

Sorry guys.

matthew

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Indeed.

I thought the Belotte hype ended about 18 months ago when he didn't set the Swedish 2nd division a light. Even the Canadian & International press have been hyping Hume & Atiba since then, rather than Wyn.

Having said that, the FIFA report indicates that the move to take Belotte off after 17 minutes was surprising, and indeed, any time you take off a striker & replace him with a midfielder almost immediately AFTER you have given up the lead early suggests not that there was anything particularly wrong with the striker, but that another midfielder was needed to shore up the midfield. Its a case of Mitchell realising that he made a tactical error by starting 3 up front & not enough in the midfield against this Aussie team. With Di Tullio being a defensive midfielder, a role that neither Hume nor Matondo is really suited to playing, taking off one of the 3 strikers for a defensive midfielder would seem to be the only option once the initial tactical error with the starting line-up had been made.

Wyn's play would have had to have been so poor as to resemble the play of the German philosophers in that famous Monty Python sketch to have warranted substituting off so early in the match in of itself. It does suggest that Hume & Matondo were more effective on the field early on since it was Wyn who was "sacrificed", but its still more of a tactical move rather than Wyn being a "miserable failure" to live up to the hype that we had set for him 2 to 3 years ago.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Slim to none.

Is it just me or is anyone one else feeled troubled about how things are unfolding in the results of the other games in canada's pool? I hope that I am not reading too much into it, but knowing that the Aussies managed a tie against the czechs and that the czechs managed a tie against Brazil troubles me. I find this rather convenient knowing full well that four points will put you through and that every game not involving canada has ended in draw. Consider also that games this tournament ( past and present) have been generally high scoring. I am pretty sure that teams going into a tournament like this must do some research on their opposition and what they must do to advance.

If what I fear is really happening, then a win versus the czech would be so sweet even if we don't advance. It might go a very long way towards earning some respect.

PS.; This is what is wrong with that sill "wild card" rule and further evidence of how a 32 or 16 team WC is so much more fair.

Another match report, from the Canadian Press, with some new quotes from Mitchell.

Aussies score close win over Canada

Brazil's Eduardo Alcides, right, and Canada's Wyn Belotte chase the ball during the World U-20 soccer championship in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. (AP/Kamran Jebreili)

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CP) - Mistakes and a sluggish start cost Canada at the World Youth Championships on Monday as the Canadian under-20 soccer side was beaten 2-1 by Australia.

"A couple of defensive errors led to easy goals for them," Canadian coach Dale Mitchell lamented. But Mitchell conceded probably his side's biggest liability is the lack of high-level competition in Canada to prepare his youngsters. "The experience factor, when you're dealing with 20-years-olds is a big part of it," he said.

"And as much as we have some good individual talent within the group, the lack of experience in day-to-day environment that some of them are in means that they make errors here. And errors here are punished.

"That's been the difference really in the two games that we've played."

Now Mitchell's side, 2-0 losers to Brazil in the opening Group C match, must beat a tough Czech Republic team and hope that other groups co-operate for any chance of surviving the first round.

Brazil and Australia both have four points in Group C with 1-0-1 records. The Czechs are third at 0-0-2 with two points while Canada trails at 0-2-0.

Still a win over the Czechs and Canada can finish third in its group behind Brazil and Australia. The top two teams in each of the six groups, plus the four best third-place finishers move on to the knockout round of 16.

The bad news for Canada is "the Czechs will be tougher than Australia," according to Mitchell.

The Czechs tied Brazil 1-1 in a later match Monday.

In other action, it was Burkina Faso 1 Slovakia 0 and Panama 1 United Arab Emirates 2 in Group A, and Spain 2 Mali 0 and Argentina 2 Uzbekistan 1 in Group B.

Iain Hume of Brampton, Ont., who plays for Tranmere Rovers in the English Second Division, scored Canada's lone goal with a hard, low strike from the edge of the box in the 33rd minute.

According to FIFA, it was Canada's first goal at the world under-20 championships in more than 500 minutes of competition.

Alex Brosque and substitute Matt McKaay scored for Australia.

"If people could see the competition that you're facing, the boys have done quite well to be honest," said Mitchell. "Tonight, the result's a little bit disappointing because the performance for the most part was pretty good. Possession-wise and opportunity-wise we probably had the upper hand, but those little mistakes, when you get it wrong, ended up in the back of our net.

"That was the disappointing thing, because I felt like tonight the performance was good enough to get something out of this game."

Despite the scoreline, tireless performances from Hume and Sita-Taty Matondo and midfielder Atiba Hutchinson kept the pressure on the Young Socceroos for much of the game.

The game, played in front of about 4,000 fans at 18,000-seat Rashid Stadium, saw South Korean referee Jong Chul Kwon hand out five yellow cards: three to Australian players and two to Canada.

Australia's first goal, scored in the 12th minute, unfolded in textbook fashion, coming after a series of crisp passes spread out the Canadian midfield defence. When Brosque got the ball inside the box, the striker from Australian club Marconi easily rounded goalkeeper Alim Karim to score.

Hume's goal in the 33rd minute goal gave the Canadians a confidence boost. He almost made it 2-0 late in the first half when he sprinted clear with the ball near the centre of the pitch, beat three defenders and powered a long drive at the opponents' goal, hitting the crossbar.

Australia scored the winner eight minutes into the second half, with midfielder Vince Lia finding Brosque loose inside the box, who tapped it left to second-half substitute McKay to score from close range.

Mitchell came out with an attacking lineup, playing Hume, Matondo and Wyn Belotte up front. But he replaced Belotte with midfielder Jason Di Tullio after just 17 minutes.

"It wasn't working very well," he conceded.

Despite the losses, there have been good performances. Mitchell reckons Hume and Hutchinson, both of whom have been capped by the Canadian senior side, have been among the best players on the pitch.

"Even at this level, which is extremely high, they're performing well and have been two of the better players in both matches that they've played - on both sides," Mitchell said.

Lineups

Australia: Nathan Coe, Alex Wilkinson, David Tarka, Carl Valeri, Spase Dilevski, Mile Jedinak (Dustin Wells, 72), Scott McDonald (Michael Baird, 60th), Alex Brosque, Massimo Murdocca (Matt McKay, 46th), Vince Lia, Michael Thwaite.

Canada: Alim Karim, Winston Marshall, Kevin Harmse, Andres Arango, Gordon Chin, Iain Hume, Wyn Belotte (Jason Di Tullio, 17th), Francesco Bruno (Nikolas Ledgerwood, 81st), Atiba Hutchinson, Josh Simpson (Chris Lemire, 68th), Sita-Tay Matondo.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Another match report, from the Canadian Press, with some new quotes from Mitchell.

Aussies score close win over Canada

Brazil's Eduardo Alcides, right, and Canada's Wyn Belotte chase the ball during the World U-20 soccer championship in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. (AP/Kamran Jebreili)

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CP) - Mistakes and a sluggish start cost Canada at the World Youth Championships on Monday as the Canadian under-20 soccer side was beaten 2-1 by Australia.

"A couple of defensive errors led to easy goals for them," Canadian coach Dale Mitchell lamented. But Mitchell conceded probably his side's biggest liability is the lack of high-level competition in Canada to prepare his youngsters. "The experience factor, when you're dealing with 20-years-olds is a big part of it," he said.

"And as much as we have some good individual talent within the group, the lack of experience in day-to-day environment that some of them are in means that they make errors here. And errors here are punished.

"That's been the difference really in the two games that we've played."

Now Mitchell's side, 2-0 losers to Brazil in the opening Group C match, must beat a tough Czech Republic team and hope that other groups co-operate for any chance of surviving the first round.

Brazil and Australia both have four points in Group C with 1-0-1 records. The Czechs are third at 0-0-2 with two points while Canada trails at 0-2-0.

Still a win over the Czechs and Canada can finish third in its group behind Brazil and Australia. The top two teams in each of the six groups, plus the four best third-place finishers move on to the knockout round of 16.

The bad news for Canada is "the Czechs will be tougher than Australia," according to Mitchell.

The Czechs tied Brazil 1-1 in a later match Monday.

In other action, it was Burkina Faso 1 Slovakia 0 and Panama 1 United Arab Emirates 2 in Group A, and Spain 2 Mali 0 and Argentina 2 Uzbekistan 1 in Group B.

Iain Hume of Brampton, Ont., who plays for Tranmere Rovers in the English Second Division, scored Canada's lone goal with a hard, low strike from the edge of the box in the 33rd minute.

According to FIFA, it was Canada's first goal at the world under-20 championships in more than 500 minutes of competition.

Alex Brosque and substitute Matt McKaay scored for Australia.

"If people could see the competition that you're facing, the boys have done quite well to be honest," said Mitchell. "Tonight, the result's a little bit disappointing because the performance for the most part was pretty good. Possession-wise and opportunity-wise we probably had the upper hand, but those little mistakes, when you get it wrong, ended up in the back of our net.

"That was the disappointing thing, because I felt like tonight the performance was good enough to get something out of this game."

Despite the scoreline, tireless performances from Hume and Sita-Taty Matondo and midfielder Atiba Hutchinson kept the pressure on the Young Socceroos for much of the game.

The game, played in front of about 4,000 fans at 18,000-seat Rashid Stadium, saw South Korean referee Jong Chul Kwon hand out five yellow cards: three to Australian players and two to Canada.

Hume's goal in the 33rd minute goal gave the Canadians a confidence boost. He almost made it 2-0 late in the first half when he sprinted clear with the ball near the centre of the pitch, beat three defenders and powered a long drive at the opponents' goal, hitting the crossbar.

Mitchell came out with an attacking lineup, playing Hume, Matondo and Wyn Belotte up front. But he replaced Belotte with midfielder Jason Di Tullio after just 17 minutes.

"It wasn't working very well," he conceded.

Despite the losses, there have been good performances. Mitchell reckons Hume and Hutchinson, both of whom have been capped by the Canadian senior side, have been among the best players on the pitch.

"Even at this level, which is extremely high, they're performing well and have been two of the better players in both matches that they've played - on both sides," Mitchell said.

Lineups

Canada: Alim Karim, Winston Marshall, Kevin Harmse, Andres Arango, Gordon Chin, Iain Hume, Wyn Belotte (Jason Di Tullio, 17th), Francesco Bruno (Nikolas Ledgerwood, 81st), Atiba Hutchinson, Josh Simpson (Chris Lemire, 68th), Sita-Tay Matondo.

Mitchell said that lack of high level competition for our lads was the main factor. yet many still think that the A-league or some similar all-canadian league is a better solution than even one team in the MLS. Sorry, but i couldn't resist......

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Mitchell said that lack of high level competition for our lads was the main factor. yet many still think that the A-league or some similar all-canadian league is a better solution than even one team in the MLS. Sorry, but i couldn't resist......

Uh, I know you're all pro-MLS and stuff, but most these players play amateur or NCAA soccer. The pros (including the A-Leaguers) are usually the standouts.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Uh, I know you're all pro-MLS and stuff, but most these players play amateur or NCAA soccer. The pros (including the A-Leaguers) are usually the standouts.

Uh... I think that he would look pretty foolish wouldn't he if he was alluding only to the NCAA. Afterall there is another team enterred in this tournament with several NCAA developed players and they don't necessarily look like their in trouble right know. Plus those NCAA developed players that that team has, are currently on pro rosters of another league which shall remain nameless. One clue, its a league many people don't want to see in canada.

Also, Its safe to say that the standouts that you are alluding to are probably the Euro based and trained players. Yes, it looks like there has been some major improvement with the a-league players and gulf is no where near as wide as in was in 2001 where it looked like players like deGuzman and Klukowski looked like they were on a different stratosphere from their a-league counter parts.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Uh... I think that he would look pretty foolish wouldn't he if he was alluding only to the NCAA. Afterall there is another team enterred in this tournament with several NCAA developed players and they don't necessarily look like their in trouble right know. Plus those NCAA developed players that that team has, are currently on pro rosters of another league which shall remain nameless. One clue, its a league many people don't want to see in canada.

Deleted my comments as your paragraph about the A-League addressed the issue.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

THERE`S STILL HOPE!!..I FORGOT THAT THE 4 BEST THIRD-PLACE TEAMS ALSO GO ON TO THE NEXT ROUND!!!

The MLS players that started for the USA (Mapp, Johnson, Quaranto, Convey, Clark and Magee) are not NCAA products. They are products of the U17 residency program; a difft kettle of fish entirely, as they typically play more internationals per year than all of our men's teams combined.

Ricardo Clark has played 42 internationals in the last 2 yrs.

Bobby Convey played in 45 internationals for the U17s IN ONE YEAR.

The list goes on.

Archived