WYC Roster Announced

Massive Attack

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Thursday, November 13, 2003

Mitchell Announces Youth Roster

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Men’s Youth (U-20) Head Coach Dale Mitchell has named his 22-player roster for Canada’s pre-tournament training camp in Antalya, Turkey from November 15-19. Mitchell will name his final roster for Canada’s second consecutive FIFA World Youth Championship on November 20th following a match against Turkey on November 19th in Ataturk-Antalya Stadium in Antalya. The 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship will be held in the United Arab Emirates from November 27th to December 19, 2003.

Following the final roster selection, Canada will travel to Dubai, UAE on November 21st for their final preparations.

Atiba Hutchinson, Alim Karim, Winston Marshall, and Sita-Taty Matondo will join the touth team following the Olympic qualifying series against El Salvador on November 15 and 19.

In the first stage, Canada will face Australia, Brazil, and the Czech Republic in Group C. Canada will begin the competition against Brazil on November 28th, continue on December 1st against Australia, and play their final game of the first stage against the Czech Republic on December 4th.

Second stage play will begin on December 12th with a group of 16 teams; the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship final will take place on December 19th in Abu Dhabi, UAE.

"Our boys are very excited about finally getting the opportunity to play in the World Youth Championships,” said Mitchell. “It has been over a year since qualification and we need to come together as a team like we did then. Given the group we have been drawn into and the quality of players we will be facing, getting results will take three very good games on our part and that bit of luck you sometimes need."

Canada secured their spot after a 3-2 victory over the United States in Charleston, S.C. in November 2002 with two goals by Iain Hume and a single by Chris Lemire.

The tournament was originally scheduled to begin last March but was postponed due to the threat of war in the Persian Gulf region.

Games

November 19, 2003 13h00 Turkey Ataturk-Antalya Stadium

First Stage – Group C

Match Date Time Location Teams

5 28.11.03 17:45 Dubai BRA - CAN

6 28.11.03 20:30 Dubai CZE - AUS

17 01.12.03 17:45 Dubai AUS - CAN

18 01.12.03 20:30 Dubai CZE - BRA

29 04.12.03 17:45 Dubai BRA - AUS

30 04.12.03 20:30 Dubai CAN - CZE

Second stage

Round of 16

If 3rd place 8.12.03 Abu Dhabi 21h00 A1 vs. 3rd C, D, E = Winner 1

If 2nd place 9.12.03 Al-Sharjah 18h00 C2 vs. A2 = Winner 6

If 1st place 9.12.03 Al-Sharjah 21h00 C1 vs. 3rd A, B, F = Winner 4

Quarterfinals

12.12.03 Abu Dhabi 18h00 Winner 1 vs. Winner 2 = Winner A

12.12.03 Dubai 21h00 Winner 6 vs. Winner 5 = Winner C

12.12.03 Dubai 18h00 Winner 4 vs. Winner 3 = Winner B

Semi-finals

15.12.03 Abu Dhabi 18h00 Winner C vs. Winner D

15.12.03 Dubai 21h00 Winner A vs. Winner B

3rd Place Match

19.12.03 Abu Dhabi 18h00

Final

19.12.03 Abu Dhabi 20h45

Training Camp Roster

Pos # Name Club or Training Centre DOB Hometown Prov

GK 1 KARIM, Alim Syracuse University 20-Apr-83 Scarborough ON

D 2 MARSHALL, Winston Wright State University 26-Feb-83 Scarborough ON

D 3 LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas 1860 Munich (Germany) 16-Jan-85 Lethbridge AB

D 4 HARMSE, Kevin Tromso (Norway) 04-Jul-84 Coquitlam BC

M 5 DUTRA, Waldemar NK Osijek (Croatia) 20-Feb-83 Sherwood Park AB

D 6 ARANGO, Andres Montreal Impact 23-Apr-83 Etobicoke ON

M 7 DI TULLIO, Jason Montreal Impact 06-Jan-84 Montreal QC

M 8 CHIN, Gordon Vancouver Whitecaps 26-Mar-83 Burnaby BC

F 9 HUME, Iain Tranmere Rovers FC (Eng) 30-Oct-83 Brampton ON

F 10 BELOTTE, Wyn Wisla Krakow (Poland) 06-May-84 Montreal QC

F 11 LEMIRE, Chris Montreal Impact 03-Nov-83 Edmonton AB

M 12 BRUNO, Francesco Syracuse University 31-Jul-84 Toronto ON

M 13 HUTCHINSON, Atiba Östers IF (Sweden) 08-Feb-83 Brampton ON

F 14 HUGHES, Dylan Kaiserslautern FC (Germany) 23-Jan-85 North Vancouver BC

M 15 SIMPSON, Josh University of Portland 15-May-83 Victoria BC

F 16 GODFREY, Elliott Watford FC (England) 22-Feb-83 Hempstead UK

M 17 MATONDO, Sita-Taty Montreal Impact 28-Dec-84 St-Laurent QC

D 18 ASANTE, Richard Syracuse University 24-Jul-85 Toronto ON

GK 19 LINDLEY, Thomas Sheffield United FC (England) 24-Jan-85 Tatallon NS

GK 20 WAGENAAR, Joshua Hartwick College 26-Feb-85 Grimsby ON

D 21 HAINAULT, Andrew Quebec 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

D 22 EDGAR, David Newcastle Utd. FC (England) 19-May-87 Kitchener ON

STAFF

Name Function

BARRETT, Angus Head of Delegation

MITCHELL, Dale Head Coach - U20 Men

DASOVIC, Nick Assistant Coach

HART, Stephen CSA Technical Staff

MULDOON, Kevin Equipment Manager/GK Coach

CANNON, Eddie Athletic Therapist

JOHNSON, Ed Doctor

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Administrator

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1525

quote:Originally posted by ray

That's surprising with regard to the 'keepers. Rayner, Fernandes and Djekanovic seem to be out of the picture. Instead Mitchell is going with some young '85s and Alim Karim.

Throw in Hainault, Edgar and Assante as surprises as well. Wow on the keepers is the only thing that springs to mind. 3 GKs just falling off the map like that. Does anyone know, offhand, about Assante? Or Bruno? Those are names I do not recognize.

Yes interesting choice of keepers. Says alot without saying anything. Also, I thought Simon Kassaye was higher rated than Assante and Bruno, but obviously not. Looks like they are grooming the next U20 team with their selection. Great idea IMHO.

Good luck boys.

wow, the keepers situation is very surprising. I'm pretty sure Lindley is a good choice, I don't know Wagenaar but he's the starting keeper for top 25 Hartwick College. I'm pretty sure Karim will start in the UAE. What happened with Fernandes and Djekanovic?

Good for us to have a friendly against a good Turkey side.

Question about Karim:

I have a memory of reading an Inside Soccer Magazine article about the Ontario Provincial Program, a few years ago. It was mentioned that one of the players to really watch out for was a young goalkeeper with an Arabic-sounding name (if I remember correctly).

Could this have been Karim?

Guest Can. in UK

Lindley has had quite a few starts with Sheff. U. reserves (not to mention being their no.1 youth GK)... which is pretty impressive.

Whoever writes the game reviews for the team seems to be really high on him. Has anyone seen him play?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Champs

I actually watched assante and bruno play for the Syracuse Unniversity team and boy do they stand out.

Dale must have seen the same game as you. Syracuse did very poorly this year, only they pulled off a couple good results against top 20 ranked teams. Maybe you saw one of those.

My suspicion is that they all had a good day and Dale made up his mind, since it is just a day trip to Syracuse. Not going to travel to much more than that. I am saying this as we have more successful players in NCAA than any of the three from Syracuse called.

Re keepers: I think Dani knew he blew it by leaving Celta Vigo which was a very immature move. Srdjan is another case altogether, I am in touch with him and he is disappointed, but accuses noone and supports the other keepers in the pool. I will say this: he in fact was offered a contract for the 1st division squad he played with last year, turned it down as he wanted to play, so I doubt he'll be in 3rd tier Serbia forever. These kind of questions make me wonder if we do (and in what way) rigorous technical reports on players at the CSA.

I wonder if Rayner decided he preferred to stick with his new starting spot at Port Talbot, as they have many games coming up and he was basically not playing for almost a year. Last week they beat the no. 2 team in Wales in their FA Cup and lost a close one in the League Cup, but he is holding up well.

Apart from keeper (I fear for Karim against Brazil, who have incredible shooters from 25 metres out, apart from all the dazzle in the box), I think this is a damn good team. We have really gained in experience and maturity, and if the bunch works as a block and especially the right decisions are made up front we could surprise someone. I refer to Wynzer, if he is not on form I hope Dale sees it and risks on Godfrey and Hume in his place (though Wyn on form is sure a lot of fun). But the group is so tough that I wouldn't want to predict anything beyond a respectable showing.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Dale must have seen the same game as you. Syracuse did very poorly this year, only they pulled off a couple good results against top 20 ranked teams. Maybe you saw one of those.

My suspicion is that they all had a good day and Dale made up his mind, since it is just a day trip to Syracuse. Not going to travel to much more than that. I am saying this as we have more successful players in NCAA than any of the three from Syracuse called.

Re keepers: I think Dani knew he blew it by leaving Celta Vigo which was a very immature move. Srdjan is another case altogether, I am in touch with him and he is disappointed, but accuses noone and supports the other keepers in the pool. I will say this: he in fact was offered a contract for the 1st division squad he played with last year, turned it down as he wanted to play, so I doubt he'll be in 3rd tier Serbia forever. These kind of questions make me wonder if we do (and in what way) rigorous technical reports on players at the CSA.

I wonder if Rayner decided he preferred to stick with his new starting spot at Port Talbot, as they have many games coming up and he was basically not playing for almost a year. Last week they beat the no. 2 team in Wales in their FA Cup and lost a close one in the League Cup, but he is holding up well.

Apart from keeper (I fear for Karim against Brazil, who have incredible shooters from 25 metres out, apart from all the dazzle in the box), I think this is a damn good team. We have really gained in experience and maturity, and if the bunch works as a block and especially the right decisions are made up front we could surprise someone. I refer to Wynzer, if he is not on form I hope Dale sees it and risks on Godfrey and Hume in his place (though Wyn on form is sure a lot of fun). But the group is so tough that I wouldn't want to predict anything beyond a respectable showing.

It does look like a damn good team. The concern about the keepers might stem from the fact that they are predominantly trained in the US college system as opposed to Europe where there is less destraction and more time available for training and development. Players in European youth systems also play more games than their US college conterparts.

All in all, at first glance, it looks similar to the squad that went to Charleston and beat the US while showing some real scoring prowess. That should give us confidence. But your right, its tough to predict with these kind of events when we know so little about our opposition. Then again, that is what makes it fun.

Guest Jeffery S.

Reading FIFA regulations for the tournament, 10 days before we have to present the 20 players called up, with shirt numbers and all.

Any serious injury ocurring up to 24 hours before the first game, if recognized by on the spot FIFA mandarins as debilitating enough to not allow the player to participate, give the team the right to replace the player. Replacements must be made from an initial list sent to the FIFA I don't know when, with I don't know who on it, as the regs only refer to an internal circular we have never seen and has not been published.

Our squad for Turkey has only 22, with the two down below very young. A kind of prize-incentive to them, as they understand they are not likely to go. Mind you let's hope neither of them decide to take someone out in practice just to get a spot. Seriously, it seems the CSA is intent on having three keepers there. Of course all you need is one to get a red card or injured and you need the other two, so it is a wise provision, only that it eats up a spot beyond the box. I think on the call-ups we've seen for other squads only two keepers have been called. So that sure seems risky. This way if Karim sees a long breakaway late in a tied game or one we need to win he can rush out of the box, take the guy down, and not worry about what the red card might mean for the team.

I kind of like the fact that the Brazilians, Czechs and Aussies will see all those European clubs and maybe give us a bit of respect.

Guest Jeffery S.

From this the starting team would look like:

Karim

Marshall, Arango, Harmse and maybe Ledgerwood at the back.

Midfield of Matondo, Chin, Hutchinson, and anyone's pick, even Hume on the right.

Wyn and Godfrey up front.

I think Lemire is more an attacking mid, like Hume.

I expect to see all 5 strikers called to the squad of 22 to be there for the final roster of 20 - after all, we had 5 strikers for the qualifers out of a squad of 18. Dylan Hughes of Kaiserslauten has replaced Alex Chursky. I don't know how tall Dylan is, but of the other four, only Belotte has any significant height, with Lemire, Hume & Godfrey being fairly short, and Wyn could represent are only target man/threat in the air up front (though I think Wyn has said he actually feels that is the weakest part of his game).

We may see a 3-4-3 again (or hear about it, if we can't get tv coverage). Harmse, Arango, Marshall at the back, Ledgerwood, Hutchinson, Chin & Simpson in midfield with Belotte flanked by two of Godfrey, Lemire, Hughes & Hume.

Looking at the club names listed with the players, this should be a strong squad - seems stronger on paper than the Aussies (who have a couple with big clubs in Italy but mainly seem to be Aussie-based players (including their own Newcastle, unlike ours at the real one :) ) ). I say that with all of the authority of someone who has never seen a single member of the Aussie team play soccer - in other words, not much of an authority at all. :)

I think DeTullio will start ahead of Arango, either in midfield or at the back. After all, he was a regular starter for the Impact, while Arango played very little. I also believe that Matondo will start ahead of either Chin or Simpson.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I think DeTullio will start ahead of Arango, either in midfield or at the back. After all, he was a regular starter for the Impact, while Arango played very little. I also believe that Matondo will start ahead of either Chin or Simpson.

That would make sence. We also know that DiTullio and Matondo both played far more than Chin this past summer with thier A-league clubs. So logically both should be higher on the depth charts as Chin seldom played.

I just realized that Blicharski was not included in this squad. He was one of the more impressive players that we got to see at Centennial Park this summer. I think he could have helped this team given his strenght and confidence on teh ball. But it still is, none-the-less, a strong squad.

While I am sure there are other things, here are some of my observations on the domestic Brazilian game from my recent trip to Brazil... While it isn't the U-20 squad, many of that squad are playing domestically and all grew up with it.

One. The Canadian back line needs to be able to be comfortable on ball. The Brazilian domestic game really forces teams to start its offence from the back line.

Two, physical strength is also necessary against Brazil. In the one game I saw live, I had never seen so much play where the attacker held off the defender to create space in receiving a pass. It was almost like watching a basketball game with all the physical jostling.

Three, there is also a lot of running across the field in the Brazilian domestic game (more than diagonal running)to receive passes like a wide receiver finding seams. Brazilian defenders tend to allow those passes in a zone defence but then mark tight when the pass is made. In other words, Canada better be careful with man to man marking. It is off these passes that a lot of those 20-25 metre shots happen.

Bottomline is whatever squad is chosen, the starting lineup will need to match the strengths of the opponent. I hope we have enough flexibility and enough scouting of these opponents to give us a fighting chance to win. In the case of Brazil, they may not have the dazzling Robinho nor Diego but there are still many others to choose from. I don't know the tendencies of the other first round opponents. Maybe others do.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

From this the starting team would look like:

Karim

Marshall, Arango, Harmse and maybe Ledgerwood at the back.

Midfield of Matondo, Chin, Hutchinson, and anyone's pick, even Hume on the right.

Wyn and Godfrey up front.

I think Lemire is more an attacking mid, like Hume.

Archived