Who is your favourite soccer player?

Soccer_player

I like all the Canadian soccer players but there is one that I like the best and that is Christine Sinclair,because I think she is the best soccer player, and she tries the hardest.

So who is you favourite soccer player and Why?

I am new here so I hope my first threat is good, because soccer is my favourite, and I hope I'll play for Canada and only Canada some day:D

I realised who Christine Sinclair reminded me of when I saw an interview with her last night--she sounds like Stan's sister from South Park. Something about her voice. Unfortunately I won't be able to dissociate them now.

Back to the topic. I predict great things for Christine and I think she'll be the world's next Mia Hamm. But I've gotta go with Kara Lang on the women's. Her conduct in the PKs against Brazil in the U19 is still a great moment for me. Second is Erin McLeod--I know she's no Swiatek or LeBlanc yet, but she's so outgoing about being Canadian.

On the men's side, Julian DeGuzman is my favourite player to watch by a long shot. And Iain Hume is the kind of player who gives his all on the pitch, which is what I want to see from a representative of Canada--Jeff Clarke deserves a mention on that score too, although he may never break through to elite status. Of the older crowd JDV is still probably my favourite, for obvious reasons.

Wow, good topic. Didn't expect to have this much to say on it, to be honest...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

my fave player is isabelle morneau! has been since at least 1997 ... since her nebraska days!! such a nice person and a veteran who doesn't get much recognition/noterity, but does an amazing job with the team and her role on the team.

i think a mod should change the subject from 'fave female soccer player' to 'fave soccer player' ...

elaine

Good topic. My favourite of the current squad is probably Jim Brennan. Craig Forrest would be my favourite all-time Canadian international. Of the women, I'd probably say either Lang or Kiss.

Of non-Canadians, I'd list Patrick Vieira, Dennis Bergkamp, Francesco Totti and Tony Adams (retired, I know). I have to admit to also liking David Beckham, although I can't stand either ManU or Real Madrid.

Cool thread. My favorite Canadian player is Iain Hume. Teddy Sheringham is my favorite player outside Canada. I followed Roy Keane closely for years, but his selfish, uncompromising attitude toward last year's World Cup lost me for good.

My all-time favorites are Matt LeTissier and Eric Cantona. LeTissier singlehandedly got me up every Saturday morning at 7 am for years to watch English highlights, while my interest in Manchester United peaked the day Cantona retired. My favorite professional athlete, period, is Larry Walker.

Favourites:

Current:

Male Canadian: Jason de Vos

Female Canadian: Christine Sinclair (althought the left back of TWU is now a close second: She has a Keri Russell-Nicole Kidman thing happening [}:)])

Favourite Non-Canadian: Patrick Viera

All time Favourite Non-Canadian: Liam Brady

All time Favourite Canadian: Dale Mitchell

Glad to see some-one else picked Matt LeTissier! 10 years ago, I was your normal hockey loving footie hating canuck. But then I saw the great MLT and I was shown how beautiful this game can be. Have you ever seen that goal he scored against Newcastle? Greatest goal ever!!

Fave canuck is JDV. Not flash but SOLID.

Used to like Mark Watson; not for skill but just for comment about how he was going to slow down his opposition by knocking them on their butts!! (can't remember what team he was talking about - some-one at confed cup maybe?)

Men - Paul Stalteri: highest dedication to the program despite playing in a top league, non-stop motor - gives his all most games (honorable mention to DeVos for similar reasons).

Women - Christine Sinclair: much more calm and rational than Lang (I think emotions get the best of her), unfortunate that lack of playing time due to mono (I think) is ruining her impact in the World Cup (honorable mention to Hooper).

Favourite Canadian Male player: now that Kusch has retired (I always dreamed of the day he'd be the first player, male or female, to take a penalty shot by using his head - imagine a 50 yard run up on a wet surface then diving head first into the ball to send it screaming into the corner of the net) I am now going to go with the man himself, Dwayne De Rosario. He is a class player, a class act, and perhaps the most appreciative of the fans that make trips to come and see him play for Canada.

Favourite female player: A tie between Lang and Kiss.

Favourite non-Canadian player: Growing up it was the Blizzard's Ivan Lucacevic, solely because of his name (& the fact he played for the Blizzard when I was a young lad). By 1982 it became Paolo Rossi. By the 1986 World Cup it was Gian-Luca Vialli (guess why?). Since then, I don't really have one, but tend to be partial to players like Zambrotta. :)

Favourite Canadians:

Men - Pesch. Remember watching him when he played in the CSL. He was the most exciting striker in the league at the time. Runner-up, DeGuzman.

Women - Changes every game. Right now I'd have to say Latham, with Hooper a close second, followed by Chapman, Sinclair and then Thorlakson.

Non-Canadians: Homare Sawa and Thierry Henry

Favorite Canadian: Lars

Favorite Non-Canadian: David Beckham. Say what you will, the man shows up. I will never forget his injury-time goal against Greece. Want to relive that moment? Download Hey Baby by DJ Otzi, the England world cup version from Kazaa. Gives me chills every time: "Book your flights, Book your seats, book your tickets, WE'RE GOING TO THE WORLD CUP!!!!!"

Besides, how can you not like a guy whose nickname is "Golden Balls". Wish more people called ME "Golden Balls". [8D]

Great idea for a thread--or threat, whatever:

Canadian Males: DeRo, JDV, Larry

All time Canadian Males: Mitchell and Forrest

Emergin Canadian Males: Hume, Hutch and DeGuzman, along with Andrea Lombardo (only 16 but this kid is gonna be our first Klinsmann)

Canadian Females: Sinclair, Chapman, Timko

All time Canadian Females: the one and only: Hooper. (Or maybe Stoumbos. [Okay, that was a cruel joke.])

Emerging Canadian Females: Grace and Lang

Non-Canadian Males: Lizarazu, Zi-Zi

Non-Canadian Females: Bresonick and Minniert (Germany--okay, I'm sure the spelling is all wrong)

All time non-Canadian: Klinsmann, Hessler, Gaza (believe it or not)

International

Favourite Canadian team: Current U-20s

Favourite Canadian Female team: Former U-19s

Favourite non-Canadian male team: France '98

I'm not sure I have a current favourite. It's a toss-up between DeRosario, Brennan, Bircham and Hume.

Lyndon Hooper was always my favourite nat. as a kid. Amy Walsh was my favourite women's teammer though now I'd go with Melanie Booth or Kristina Kiss. Before Walsh, I liked Angela Kelly.

Craig Burley or Matt Holland is my favourite non-Canuck.

cheers,

matthew

PS welcome Soccer_player

Archived