Grandfather of all Canucks Abroad, 2003 -05

Gian-Luca

There are so many Canadians playing abroad nowadays that I thought in addition to the Canucks Abroad section on the main site, it would be a good idea to have a running thread on this board that people could continually add to & could be looked back upon over the years when people want to see what club somebody used to be with (either under contract or trial). The CSA & Voyageurs Canuck Abroad listing is great, but doesn't (by its nature) show where people used to be & due to the fact that only two people are able to update the Voyageurs one, can be out of date. All of this info has been posted at one time or another on the old board, but one of the disadvantages of that board is the retrieval of old information is very difficult - here it can be put on this one thread.

This isn't a thread meant to post results or how much players played in a match (which can be the subject of other threads, as they have been in the past) but instead a continual thread on where players are playing or are on trial. Sigma, in his Bigsoccer.com alias, has done a thread like this on the Canadian forum & I thought it would be a good idea here, and took the liberty of stealing his list from that forum to start us off. I've added a few names to his original list, but credit given where it is due! And please let me know of any errors & ommissions:

United States

Dwayne De Rosario - San Jose (MLS)

Frank Yallop (coach) - San Jose (MLS)

Pat Onstad - San Jose (MLS)

Mark Watson - Charleston (A-League)

Alvin Hudson - Minnesota (A-League)

Semir Mesanovic - Indiana (A-League)

Kyle Fletcher - West Mass (D3 Pro)

Jim Larkin - Milwaukee (A-League)

Carl Fletcher - Atlanta (A-League)

England

David Edgar - Newcastle (EPL - youth)

Tomasz Radzinski - Everton (EPL)

Jim Brennan - Norwich(1st div)

Elliot Godfrey - Watford (1st div - reserves)

Ryan Gyaki - Sheffield United (1st div - youth)

Tom Lindley - Sheffield United (1st div - youth)

Paul Peschisolido - Sheffield United (1st div)

Jason Bent - Plymouth (2nd div)

Marc Bircham - QPR (2nd div)

Jason De Vos - Wigan (1st div)

Lars Hirschfeld - Tottenham (EPL)

Iain Hume - Tranmere (2nd div)

Terry Dunfield - Bury (3rd div)

Mark Rogers - Wycombe (2nd div)

Asmir Bergovic - Porstmought (EPL) - Youth

John Murphy - Bury (3rd Div) - Youth

Andrea Lombardo - Manchester City (EPL) - Youth

Germany

Maycoll Canizalez - Werder Bremen (Bund) - reserves

Julian de Guzman - Hannover 96 (Bund)

Jeremy Shepherd - Hertha Berlin (Bund) - U19 team

Paul Stalteri - Werder Bremen (Bund)

Tam Nsaliwa - Jahn Regensburg (Ger 2nd)

Victor Oppong - Saarbrucken II(4th div)

Nik Ledgerwood - 1860 Munich (Bund.) - reserves

Dylan Hughes - FC Kaiserslauten - U19 team

Amir Haroon - Energie Cottbus (Youth)

Scotland

Paul Fenwick - Hibs (SPL)

Kevin McKenna - Hearts (SPL)

Davide Xausa - Falkirk (1st Div)

Emilio Botiglieri - Greenock Morton (3rd div)

Rhian Dodds - Kilmarnock (SPL)

Northern Ireland

Vince Stewart - Glentoran

France

Dimy Garbe - Lorient (Le Championat) youth

Norway

Marco Reda - Sogndal (Premier)

Patrice Bernier - Moss (1st div)

Rob Friend - Moss (1st div)

Milan Kojic - Haugesund (1st div)

Kevin Harmse - Tromso (Premiere)

Rob De Faveri - Kvik Halden (2nd Div)

Sweden

Atiba Hutchison - Osters IF (Premier)

Chris Pozniak - Orebro SK (Premier)

Adam Braz - Vasteras (1st div)

Kenny Stamatopoulos - Enkopings (Premier)

Nikki Budalic - Orebro SK (Premier) - Reserves

Denmark

Nils Binstock, AB Copenhagen (Youth)

Portugal

Fernando Aguiar - Benfica (Portugal 1st)

Marco Brás - Naval (2nd div)

Nílton Terroso - Lourinhanense (3rd div)

Spain

Daniel Fernandes - Celta Vigo II - out on trial?

Austria

Ante Jazic - Rapid Vienna (Austria 1st div)

Belgium

Mike Klukowski - La Louvière (Belgium 1st div)

Greece

Stathios Kappos - AEK (Greece 1st div)

Holland

Richard Hastings - MVV 1st Division

Jonathan de Guzman - Feyenoord (youth)

Marcel de Jong - Eindhoven (youth)

Troy Gardezy - Gronigen (youth)

Graham Ramalho - Gronigen (youth)

Italy

Andrea Bellisomo - Inter Milan (youth)

Carlo Schiavoni - Padova (Serie C1)

Rocco Placentino - Avellino (Serie B)

Franco Lalli - Avellino (Youth - Serie B)

Niels Dekker - Massa Lombarda - (Serie D)

Gianluca Saggesse - Salernitana?

Basi Seminara - Salernitana?

David Masciantonio - Sora (Serie C)

Julian Uccello - AC Milan Primavera (Youth)

Switzerland

Daniel Imhof - St Gallen (1st div)

Croatia

Justin Kozjak - Dinamo Zagreb Reserves

Ryan Thompson - Hadjuk Split (Top Division)

Waldemar Dutra - Osijek (Top Division)

Serbia & Montengro

Srdjan Djekanovic - Zeleznicar Bara Venecija (3rd Div)

Igor Prostran - FK Rad (1st Div)

Hungary

Sasha Boscovic - MTK (1st Division)

Nicola Servedio - MTK (1st Division)

Poland

Wyn Belotte - Wisla Krakow (1st Division)

Turkey

Rasih Pala - Istanbul B.B.Spor (2nd Div)

Argentina

Manny Gomez - River Plate (Argentina) youth

Chile

Carmello Rago (Puerto Montt - Chile 1st)

China

Tony Menezes - Gansu

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Gianluca, I hate to tell you, but David Masciantonio is no longer with Frosinone. According to an E-mail I've received last week from the Frosinone's Media Director, he mentions that David never got his contract renew by Frosinone for the following 2003/04 season. Nevertheless, the club's Media Director has mentioned to me that he had a major trial with another Serie-C club of which he doesn't recall. Therefore, the CSA has made a misprint in David Masciantonio's club status.

Guest Jeffery S.

I have corresponded with some who handle Canada Abroad on this site on the issue of Celta B, and think we should respect as accurately as possible the divisions of the teams, ie not convert into the English system of Reserve teams. This may be confusing (the fact that there is Premier in Norway, then first), but it is clearer.

Since you started the thread maybe you can keep revising it G-L, hope you don't find this too picky.

Really we should not call Sweden top flight premier as they don't, it is Allsvenskan, 2nd tier is Superettan. Sounds okay just to say 1st and 2nd for Sweden, Gianluca.

Also, for the 2nd teams of top clubs in Germany, they are called Amateur, even though they are not amateur at all. But still, Reserves suggests a reserve league and they in fact play in full-fledged pro third division. It is better to say Werder Bremen Amateur, in Regionalliga South. Or if you wish Third Division. Same for Ledgerwood (watch spelling there, G-L).

Greenock Morton promoted to Scottish 2nd last year, Bottiglieri scored for them last week.

For Hastings it would be clearer just to say Maastricht.

For Menezes, I didn't know he was back in China, but the team was Gansu Nongken, important as there is more than one Gansu. GAscoigne's team for a short while there, think perhaps the team altered the name though, so worth checking. They are still in Jia-B (2nd division).

Spelling on Portsmouth too.

Quibbling, I know, but I love these kinds of threads and think they are very useful.

No word on where Thunder has finally ended up yet, he was on trial at Maastricht and could be there, back in Regensburg, or who knows...

Just a couple of corrections. Despite all the hype, I don't think Roman Tulis Jr. had more than a cup of coffee in Munich as he has never been mentioned as part of any of their youth teams (and they have about the best web coverage of their academy of any German club).

It's Jeremy Shepherd at Hertha and Nik Ledgerwood at 1860.

Made some changes on the spelling (I think those were actually from the original bigsoccer.com post & I didn't notice). As for Menezes, his cousin has come on the old board indicating he is back in China & eager to hear who the new Canadian coach will be. I'm assuming that he's at the same club.

I deleted Roman Tulis Jr. for the time being. I'm leaving Masciantonio for the time being as since he lives & plays in Italy he must be a Canuck Abroad of some sort. Perhaps we will here more when Olympic qualifying begins for Canada tomorrow.

When I have a bit more time I'll try to make some of the other corrections re: league & club names.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Just a couple of corrections. Despite all the hype, I don't think Roman Tulis Jr. had more than a cup of coffee in Munich as he has never been mentioned as part of any of their youth teams (and they have about the best web coverage of their academy of any German club).

I am certain that World Football Pages listed him a couple of issues ago as accepting a scholarship with the University of Illinois-Chicago.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I am certain that World Football Pages listed him a couple of issues ago as accepting a scholarship with the University of Illinois-Chicago.

You are right R. Tulis is a freshman at the University of Illinois-Chicago- http://uicflames.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/tulis_roman00.html

It seems that he is the back up keeper there and that he won't see action that much since the starting keeper is a sophomore. Honestly I'm a bit surprise that a guy who was good enough to earn a tryout with Bundesliga team can't start with an NCAA team.

quote:Originally posted by wlatz

Very impressive list I must say... How come you never qualifiy for the World Cup?

Well I wouldn't say "never", we did qualify in 1986.

The list is larger today than it ever has been, and most players are fairly young (most 26 & under). This list was probably half its present size during the last World Cup qualification attempt, & about one-15th this size during the attempt before that.

However, the fact that we don't have a full league of our own also hurts - we have more young players getting jobs in Europe, but we will still have difficulty in getting them all together on a regular basis or for a lengthy period of time, especially since they are spread out all over the world.

Great and impressive list of players abroad. Wouldn't you think that with sooo many players in countries with good leagues, we could put together a half decent team. I hope the candidates for the coaching job do some research and familiarize themselves with the difficulties they will face before taking the job.

I always think of those several tiny countries around the world that manage to qualify for the W.C. once in a while. While us with the second largest country in the world, 27m people, enviable standard of living and a fair supply of money, we could only managed one qualification in 86. And that was made easier because Mexico was banned from participating.

I know it is a bit out of topic, but it may be an idea to add to your list a list of Canadians playing at home right here in Canada, those who through the observation of various knowledgeable fans have strong potential for a tryout at National camps. Specially young teenager kids.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Great and impressive list of players abroad. Wouldn't you think that with sooo many players in countries with good leagues, we could put together a half decent team. I hope the candidates for the coaching job do some research and familiarize themselves with the difficulties they will face before taking the job.

I always think of those several tiny countries around the world that manage to qualify for the W.C. once in a while. While us with the second largest country in the world, 27m people, enviable standard of living and a fair supply of money, we could only managed one qualification in 86. And that was made easier because Mexico was banned from participating.

Actually, Mexico was hosting in 1986. It was 1990 when they were banned.

Archived