Grandfather of all Canucks Abroad, 2003 -05

Gian-Luca

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Question to FZA

Have you seen this kid Carmelo Rago who plays for Puerto Montt play? What is your opinion about him?

I read a topic that had a huge list of Canadians playing abroad and I found out that there`s a canadian playing for Puerto Montt. This team plays way down south, where it rains a lot. You can imagine all the muddy games that have been played there, but not anymore because they brought this professional turf approved by FIFA from Canada, maybe Carmello made the connections. But I looked him up on the roster but I couldn´t find him.

Now that I know that he`s only 17, he probably just trains for Puerto Montt waiting for a chance with the first team. Or the other situation could be that he was loaned to a team in another division. I`m going to try and find out where he is. Unfortunately Puerto Montt were eliminated by Audax Italiano in a playoff a few weeks ago.

Once I find out where he is I`ll post a new topic. There`s another Canadian playing in Chile`s 1st division. His name is Jaime Lopresti, he`s a defensive back and plays for Union Española. I`m 80% sure he`s a Canadian citizen, because he was born in Chile but probably lived quite a while in Canada. I heard it on the radio and from friends. I`ll check that out too.

Cheers

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

An Italian soccer fan wrote me over on bigsoccer. He had a few corrections for our list of Canadians playing aborad.

Julian Ucello is registered with Juniores (also known as Berretti) and not Primavera.

Franco Lalli is not with Avellino. He is currently with US Lucera Calico. Here is a team picture, he is on the lower left hand side under the keeper.

About this kid Franco Lalli, is he registered with the CSA??? Does the CSA knows this kid exist??? I am really curious about all these young kids playing abroad especially Julian Ucello and the other Canadian playing in Chile by the name of Jaime Lopresti. Now this Lopresti guy has caught me by surprise I've never heard of this guy. Now what makes me wonder is how many young players out there who are Canadians and the CSA has no clue of their existence???

By the way, I just did a quick research on Jaime Lopresti through the Chilean Football Federation official Website, and I just discovered that the Chilean Football Federation has this guy listed as a Chilean native. Here's the site: (http://www.anfp.cl/clubes/union.php). Please click on the red Icon "Ver Plantel" at the bottom of the right of your screen, and it will take you directly to the player listing of Union Espanol.

Furthermore, Carmelo Rago is now officially on the 1st squad. His name is now listed as a full fledge player on the 1st team. Here's the interlink to the club's website: (http://www.deportespuertomontt.cl/equipo/equipo.html)

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Franco Lalli is not with Avellino. He is currently with US Lucera Calico. Here is a team picture, he is on the lower left hand side under the keeper.

Yes, that is correct. I discovered this last week after weeks of searching and then verifying that it was indeed him. Sigma, I converted the photo you posted to a link, because the photo is too big and makes this thread a pain to read.

There are also a couple of other corrections to be made to the list of Canadians in Italy. I was planning to summarize everything after this weekend.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

About this kid Franco Lalli, is he registered with the CSA??? Does the CSA knows this kid exist???

Yes, the CSA knows about Franco Lalli. He has played with the U17s and U20s.

Is this Lopresti guy good enough to play for Canada or has the CSA ever considered of extending an invitation to join the Nats???

He used to play for Colo-Colo, I also realized that he`s listed as a Chilean native, but I`m pretty sure I heard that he lived in Canada and that he might be a Canadian citizen. As I said before I`ll try and find out some how!.

He`s pretty good but he hasn`t played on a consistent basis for the last 2 years, probably because of injuries. When he played for Colo-Colo I remember I used to like the way he played, he had speed, ball control but at times he could be indisciplined earning himself stupid red cards.

To play for out Nats?..Umm I`d have to see him play now to give you an idea if he can or not. From what I`ve seen in the past he might be a good enough option at left back but I`ll keep an eye out on him during the pre-season.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

i have never seen him play or even heard about him. what is the level of play like in Chile? maybe someone should e-mail the CSA and tell them about him if we find out he's a great player.

The level of play in Chile is not one of the best in South America. The domestic league probably ranks 5th in South America after the Argentinian, Brasileirao, Columbian and Uruguayan leagues.

They`re really poor physically, not to mention financially, you can notice this every year in the "Copa Libertadores" when Chilean teams play against other teams from Ecuador for instance, when they just get out-runned and out-hustled so easily. It`s a slow pace game but very technical. So if you can run fast you`ll do fine in the Chilean league!!

Despite this, a lot of players seem to appear that are considered export material.

ya, i could. i would show them the link to this thread, and links about him that have been posted. We would send the e-mail to Earl Cochrane, natteams@soccercan.ca right??

Dear: Earl

The Voyageurs have found out about a Canadian soccer player that plays in Chile. His name is Jaime Lopresti and could bring some much need depth to the back for the Mens World Cup team. Myself and the rest on the Voyageurs would high recomend talking to Jaime. Here is a link to the thread that talks about Lopresti. Please come and see. Thanks

http://canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1023&whichpage=3

quote:Originally posted by Relient k Mike

I found a little bit on jaime lopresti on soccerage and it says that he is canadian, maybe someboody should inform the CSA about him

http://soccerage.rete.it/es/04/17765.html

Although Jaime is born in Canada, the Chilean Soccer Federation has him listed as a Chilean native. In other words, Jaime left Canada for good. I think. By the way, Jaime is no longer with club Colo Colo. He now plays for Union Espanol.

Although Jaime is born in Canada, the Chilean Soccer Federation has him listed as a Chilean native. In other words, Jaime left Canada for good. I think. By the way, Jaime is no longer with club Colo Colo. He now plays for Union Espanol.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

what do you guys think? should i e-mail the CSA with that letter? what should i add or take out?

The e-mail is a good idea. I think you should add my e-mail address (francisco@varas.cl) in that letter so that way I can probably help him out in any way I can.

There is another player you may want to add to the list he is playing in Italy and also from Ontario out of Woodbirdge Ontario (1985) player from a Roma team not sure though which team his name is Fabio Panetta. I understand he is arriving sometime today for his Christmas Break as well for Julian Uccello (1986) from AC Milan Berretti team for 12 days. When I find out what team Fabio is playing for I will forward that to this forum unless some one knows already.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATED LIST (as of Jan.9/04)

United States

Dwayne De Rosario - San Jose (MLS)

Pat Onstad - San Jose (MLS)

Edgar Bartolomeu - New York/New Jersey (MLS)

Mark Watson - Charleston (A-League)

Alvin Hudson - Minnesota (A-League)

Semir Mesanovic - Indiana (A-League)

Kyle Fletcher - West Mass (D3 Pro)

Jim Larkin - Milwaukee (A-League)

Theo Zagar - Rochester (A-league)

England

David Edgar - Newcastle (EPL - youth)

Tomasz Radzinski - Everton (EPL)

Jim Brennan - Norwich(1st div)

Elliot Godfrey - Watford (1st div - reserves)

Ryan Gyaki - Sheffield United (1st div - youth)

Tom Lindley - Sheffield United (1st div - youth)

Paul Peschisolido - Sheffield United (1st div)

Jason Bent - Plymouth (2nd div)

Marc Bircham - QPR (2nd div)

Jason De Vos - Wigan (1st div)

Lars Hirschfeld - Tottenham (EPL)

Iain Hume - Tranmere (2nd div)

Terry Dunfield - Bury (3rd div)

Justin Thompson - Bury (3rd div)

Mark Rogers - Wycombe (2nd div)

Asmir Bergovic - Portsmouth (EPL) - Youth

John Murphy - Bury (3rd Div) - Youth

Andrea Lombardo - Manchester City (EPL) - Youth

Germany

Maycoll Canizalez - Werder Bremen (Bund) - reserves

Julian de Guzman - Hannover 96 (Bund)

Jeremy Shepherd - Hertha Berlin (Bund) - U19 team

Paul Stalteri - Werder Bremen (Bund)

Tam Nsaliwa - Jahn Regensburg (Ger 2nd)

Victor Oppong - Saarbrucken I(3rd div)

Nik Ledgerwood - 1860 Munich (Bund.) - reserves

Dylan Hughes - FC Kaiserslauten - U19 team

Amir Haroon - Energie Cottbus (Youth)

Scotland

Paul Fenwick - Hibs (SPL)

Kevin McKenna - Hearts (SPL)

Davide Xausa - Falkirk (1st Div)

Emilio Botiglieri - Greenock Morton (2nd div)

Rhian Dodds - Kilmarnock (SPL)

Northern Ireland

Vince Stewart - Glentoran

France

Dimy Garbe - Lorient (Le Championat) youth

Norway

Marco Reda - Sogndal (Premier)

Patrice Bernier - Moss (1st div)

Rob Friend - Moss (1st div)

Milan Kojic - Haugesund (1st div)

Kevin Harmse - Tromso (Premiere)

Sweden

Atiba Hutchison - ? (Premier)

Chris Pozniak - ? (Premier)

Kenny Stamatopoulos - Enkopings (Premier)

Denmark

Nils Binstock, AB Copenhagen (Youth)

Portugal

Fernando Aguiar - Benfica (Portugal 1st)

Marco Brás - Naval (2nd div)

Kevin De Serpa - Penefiel (2nd Div)

Adam Leggett - Penefiel (2nd Div)

Nílton Terroso - Lourinhanense (3rd div)

Wales

Simon Rayner - Port Talbot (League of Wales)

Austria

Ante Jazic - Rapid Vienna (Austria 1st div)

Belgium

Mike Klukowski - La Louvière (Belgium 1st div)

Greece

Stathios Kappos - AEK (Greece 1st div)

Holland

Richard Hastings - MVV (2nd div)

Jonathan de Guzman - Feyenoord (youth)

Marcel de Jong - Eindhoven (youth)

Troy Gardezy - Gronigen (youth)

Graham Ramalho - Gronigen (youth)

Italy

Andrea Bellisomo - Inter Milan (youth)

Carlo Schiavoni - Padova (Serie C1)

Rocco Placentino - Avellino (Serie B)

Franco Lalli - Avellino (Youth - Serie B)

Niels Dekker - Massa Lombarda - (Serie D)

Gianluca Saggesse - Salernitana?

Basi Seminara - Salernitana?

David Masciantonio - Isola Liri (Serie D)

Julian Uccello - AC Milan Primavera (Youth)

Switzerland

Daniel Imhof - St Gallen (1st div)

Croatia

Justin Kozjak - Dinamo Zagreb Reserves

Ryan Thompson - Hadjuk Split (Top Division)

Waldemar Dutra - Osijek (Top Division) (Reserves)

Serbia & Montengro

Srdjan Djekanovic - Zeleznicar Bara Venecija (3rd Div)

Igor Prostran - FK Rad (1st Div)

Hungary

Sasha Boscovic - MTK (1st Division)

Nicola Servedio - MTK (1st Division)

Poland

Wyn Belotte - Wisla Krakow (1st Division)(reserves)

Turkey

Rasih Pala - Istanbul B.B.Spor (2nd Div)

Argentina

Manny Gomez - River Plate (Argentina) youth

Chile

Carmello Rago (Puerto Montt - Chile 1st)

China

Tony Menezes - Nanjin Youyou (2nd tier)

Guest Jeffery S.

Excellent list Gianluca, keep it up.

Hey two little things, since you are doing the changing. MVV is Dutch 2nd division, at least if you are calling La Louvière and Rapid Vienna 1st division in the continental (non-UK) sense. Also, could you please correct the spelling of Portsmouth, the way you have it drives me nuts (I am less irritable lately, just a few little things get me going[:I]).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Italy

Carlo Schiavoni - Padova (Serie C1)

Franco Lalli - Avellino (Youth - Serie B)

Niels Dekker - Massa Lombarda - (Serie D)

Gianluca Saggesse - Salernitana?

Basi Seminara - Salernitana?

Julian Uccello - AC Milan Primavera (Youth)

Corrections (bolded) to the Italy list, some repeated from Sigma's post above (plus a reordering, if you don't mind):

Julian Uccello - AC Milan Juniores (Youth)

Niels Dekker - Massa Lombarda (Eccellenza Emilia Romagna (6th division))

Franco Lalli - US Lucera Calcio (Promozione Puglia (7th division))

I can't find any confirmation on these players:

Gianluca Saggese - Salernitana (Serie B)?

Basi Seminara - Salernitana (Serie B)?

Carlo Schiavoni - Padova (Serie C1)?

There is a Pasubio Carlo Seminara on one of Salernitana's youth teams, but I don't think it's the same guy. Either way, in 2004 Seminara is U16 and Saggese is U17, so if you want to keep them on the list then you should at least list them as "youth".

Schiavoni was part of Canada's U20 Development Team last May, at which time the CSA said he was at Padova. But in this November 2003 document from the Fédération de soccer du Québec he is listed as having played for the Lakers Lac St-Louis amateur team in 2003.

Guest Jeffery S.

Hey G-L, good work on the changes. One more for you, the team de Serpa and Leggatt signed for in Portugal is Penafiel, just have to alter the spelling.

I am looking for reports of them playing but the site with good game reports I use is down today. Must say I never see Bras getting any playing time at all for Naval.

Archived