CPL Best League- Hypothetical?

So we would basically have DP type of players like Davies, David, Buchanan, Eustaquio, Larin, etc. Basically 1 starter-ish type of player on each team (if it's spread equal), another squad player on each team, maybe 1 or 2 guys that we consider to be in the pool on each team but are unlikely to get calls to the national team on each CPL team, then the rest of the roster is a lot like the rosters currently are. I think that probably puts us firmly in 3rd place, where right now I feel like we are in the mix with Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, and maybe a hair ahead of El Salvador and Guatemala.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Kent said:

So we would basically have DP type of players like Davies, David, Buchanan, Eustaquio, Larin, etc. Basically 1 starter-ish type of player on each team (if it's spread equal), another squad player on each team, maybe 1 or 2 guys that we consider to be in the pool on each team but are unlikely to get calls to the national team on each CPL team, then the rest of the roster is a lot like the rosters currently are. I think that probably puts us firmly in 3rd place, where right now I feel like we are in the mix with Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, and maybe a hair ahead of El Salvador and Guatemala.

Sure but football doesn't work like that. LigaMX and Costa Rica definitely doesn't work like that. They don't just spread the players out evenly so why would we? So as an example Vancouver fc would probably have Davies, Eustaquio, Larin, Miller, Borjan, Adekugbe. When I compare leagues I say how would the best teams do against each other? How would the middle table teams do against each other? And how would the worst teams do against each other? Plus said eligible to play for Canada. The best team in Central America playing in the best league just scrambled to get Manjekar James but under my criteria he probably wouldn't be a top 10 CB. How many Canadians are in the MLS? Once you actually think it thru you realize even in an extreme criteria of 100% domestic player CPL could be the best

And by the way.. I actually think CPL already is a solid 3rd best league in Concacaf 

Edited by SpursFlu

48 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

And by the way.. I actually think CPL already is a solid 3rd best league in Concacaf 

I think we are striving for this but I am not sure we are there yet, kind of like the national team actually.

Looking forward to the CONCACAF CUP to see how we measure up. We pull upsets there and it helps our cause. 

What I would say is that we seem to have the most upside outside of Liga MX and MLS. We are a growing league that's getting better every year. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Does every country have their top eligible players in their domestic league, or just Canada?

No just us but Mexico is known to not send many players abroad as an example but after looking in to it they import a lot more players then you would think nowadays. A lot of Americans leave MLS but they import more than they export so I think there would be a bit of trade off but net the league would probably decrease if they only had Americans and all Americans available. Plus they have too many rosters to fill

Edited by SpursFlu

Posted (edited)

If you wanted to do the exercise across the globe it kinda fun. Obviously Brazil would be the best. They already have a strong league and I think they're only allowed 3 or 4 imports per roster yet every top league is flooded with Brazilians. I think it would be a toss up for 2nd between England, France, Spain & Argentinian. Maybe France would get the nod then Argentina, Spain and then England

Edited by SpursFlu

53 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If you wanted to do the exercise across the globe it kinda fun. Obviously Brazil would be the best. They already have a strong league and I think they're only allowed 3 or 4 imports per roster yet every top league is flooded with Brazilians. I think it would be a toss up for 2nd between England, France, Spain & Argentinian. Maybe France would get the nod then Argentina, Spain and then England

France has no depth, they might have one or two really good teams, but the rest of the league would be well down the list. I think they're probably more like 7th, after all those plus Germany and Italy.

43 minutes ago, Cicero said:

France has no depth, they might have one or two really good teams, but the rest of the league would be well down the list. I think they're probably more like 7th, after all those plus Germany and Italy.

France would probably be 1, definitely top 2. The amount of eligible dual nats they have is massive and every top league is also flooded with French players.

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

Isn't France like 1 or 2 in terms of exports with Brazil?

I think France has a lot more players out there then people realize because they're dual nationals. But sorry their league wouldn't beat Brazils.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The CPL never had a team in the final of the CONCACAF League, let alone win it. The last iteration Pacific lost to a team (Herediano from Costa Rica) who lost to a team (Real Espana from Honduras) who lost to a team (Alajualense from Costa Rica) who lost in the final to Olimpia from Honduras. That doesn't exactly scream that the CPL is solidly ahead of Costa Rica and Honduras. And I presume you have MLS and Liga MX ahead of CPL as well. I think 3rd is the goal, but any thoughts that we are there already is very rose-tinted glasses influenced.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

The CPL never had a team in the final of the CONCACAF League, let alone win it. The last iteration Pacific lost to a team (Herediano from Costa Rica) who lost to a team (Real Espana from Honduras) who lost to a team (Alajualense from Costa Rica) who lost in the final to Olimpia from Honduras. That doesn't exactly scream that the CPL is solidly ahead of Costa Rica and Honduras. And I presume you have MLS and Liga MX ahead of CPL as well. I think 3rd is the goal, but any thoughts that we are there already is very rose-tinted glasses influenced.

"Solidly" ok ill give you that one. But we're talking in real time here and I think top to bottom CPL is better 😀 

Unfortunately we won't have any direct match ups outside of a miracle in this year's Champions Cup. But hopefully we get some indicators 

42 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Isn't France like 1 or 2 in terms of exports with Brazil?

I think there's a bit of an illusion with France because most of their top players play outside of France, aside from those on PSG. Simply because Ligue 1 doesn't pay as well as the top four leagues. That's not the case for players from those top four European nations. I haven't done any sort of analysis, but I'd still put them well down the list.

19 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

"Solidly" ok ill give you that one. But we're talking in real time here and I think top to bottom CPL is better 😀 

Unfortunately we won't have any direct match ups outside of a miracle in this year's Champions Cup. But hopefully we get some indicators 

Sure would be nice to still be in Concacaf League. Champions league is just going to be one-and-done basically every year for the near future. Question is, was the Forge team that did well the outlier, or was Pacific just not prepared? Based on watching Forge play those games, I'd say Costa Rica and Honduras are likely still ahead. It felt like Forge played up to match their level. I also think that Forge group was the best team in the CPL's (brief) history, and not very representative of the overall level of the league. 

On 1/3/2024 at 1:43 PM, Kent said:

I wonder how the worst team in CPL (my team!) would do against the bottom feeders in the Costa Rican or Hoduran top flight. 

9 hours ago, jonovision said:

I wonder how the worst team in CPL (my team!) would do against the bottom feeders in the Costa Rican or Hoduran top flight. 

We need a competition called the "Other Leagues Cup" where those leagues take a month off the season to play a tournament together.

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think Valour would smoke the worst team in Costa Rica