Match Thread: May 6, 2023 - Valour v HFX Wanderers

Well, this match more than any other the Valour depth problem due to their injury tsunami really seemed to catch up with them. Dante Campbell, who was the man of the first half, was constantly sprinting between breaking up plays in midfield and supporting the back four, who were a catastrophe today, at least the right side. He and the other midfielders simply didn't half the legs to do the same double-duty in the second half. That extra defensive work meant there was little to offer in attack. The whole team, but especially the wingbacks and midfield, were running on fumes in the second half.

I'd like to see Ponce get a start. His movement asw good and while he lacks the strength of Novak he has better speed and better ideas with the ball. 

Mzoughi needs some seasoning, and hopefully he acquires it on the training ground and not in a match anytime soon. Not ready for prime time.

A disappointing match because aside from the injury problems this arguably was the easiest fixture on the schedule so far.

Edited by jonovision

11 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Well, this match more than any other the Valour depth problem due to their injury tsunami really seemed to catch up with them. Dante Campbell, who was the man of the first half, was constantly sprinting between breaking up plays in midfield and supporting the back four, who were a catastrophe today, at least the right side. He and the other midfielders simply didn't half the legs to do the same double-duty in the second half. That extra defensive work meant there was little to offer in attack. The whole team, but especially the wingbacks and midfield, were running on fumes in the second half.

I'd like to see Ponce get a start. His movement asw good and while he lacks the strength of Novak he has better speed and better ideas with the ball. 

Mzoughi needs some seasoning, and hopefully he acquires it on the training ground and not in a match anytime soon. Not ready for prime time.

A disappointing match because aside from the injury problems this arguably was the easiest fixture on the schedule so far.

I agree with all of this.

I’d add that once again Pacifique looked dangerous dribbling on the wing but once he gets near the byline his decision making is consistently  poor.

Edited by Soccerpro2

^ You'll be hard tested finding someone willing to argue against that point.  Gets into that attacking position clueless.  That is to say he's advancing into an opportunity too often without knowing what going to happen next.  

And fair enough most of the time.  The opportunity will unfold as it does but it just seems like he almost doesn't know what to expect and/or doesn't have it in his head how he will respond when it does. If you follow my meaning.  That's not good enough at this level.

Real early days yet so maybe we'll see better of him on that account.  Or maybe we'll see PDS utilize him differently in the future when a healthier team is available.  Man has talent.

8 minutes ago, Wippersuna said:

Thought certain areas looked decent, but I moved to the middle and my goodness it was empty over there. They really need to figure something out and soon. Would be so sad to see the team fold or move.

The middle sections are super empty. It seems like lots of people are starting to move over for free to the nicer seats.

Regarding the middle sections (Pinnacle seats or whatever) the team should really just lower the price to whatever the prices in the adjacent sections are and refund the difference for anyone who has season's tickets in that section. You're not selling $60 seats to minor league sports in Winnipeg. 

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Regarding the middle sections (Pinnacle seats or whatever) the team should really just lower the price to whatever the prices in the adjacent sections are and refund the difference for anyone who has season's tickets in that section. You're not selling $60 seats to minor league sports in Winnipeg. 

That would require the organization to admit they were wrong, which they never will. Instead, everyone will just start sitting there for free (I did last game).

Edited by Soccerpro2

19 hours ago, jonovision said:

Agree that they are overpriced, but they include access to the Pinnacle Club which has value and free popcorn.  They would have to charge at least a little more than neighboring sections.

Edited by johnyb