2023 Leagues Cup

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Eventually, CONCACAF will reinstate their group stage as the argument of "schedule congestion" won't hold. Leagues will have to play the extra games or cut back.

MLS is not breaking for the Gold Cup or the March FIFA window in order to be able to squeeze this tournament in.

We'll see what happens. Concacaf seems to change the Champions League format every 5-7 years anyways. Nothing ever seems permanent 

• 1 month later...

I like the concept of the Leagues Cup, but they make it so inefficient.  So teams that get knocked early will have 2-3 weeks of doing nothing.  Meanwhile, they will be playing through this month's international window as well as the period of the Gold Cup.

So you take this, the fact that teams will be missing their top players for more than "a couple of games", 18 teams making the playoffs...is the regular season a mere nuisance to MLS?

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

If 2 Mexican teams meet in the Knockout stages where is it played?

The organizers have designated a number of US cities as hosts should this happen and will select a city for a particular matchup on a case by case basis.

It's in here:  https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/leagues-cup-2023-schedule-bracket-for-historic-mls-liga-mx-competition

Edited by Kingston

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2023 at 2:49 PM, Watchmen said:

Will be interested to see how attendance is for the visits by the Liga MX teams.

For TFC, this ticket is part of the season ticket package...so 30K plus...but would have to pay extra for knockout rounds.

12 hours ago, Jedi Ram said:

So theorically, E3 winner and runners-up can meet again in Quarters ???  Surely, they can flip to the other part of the draw.

Trying to keep travel costs low?

Seems ludicrous that in a tournament with this many teams that you could face a team from your group earlier than the final

• 2 months later...

On the latest episode of the AFTN podcast, they mentioned that the players are really looking forward to this tournament. That guys like Gressel and Gauld were looking forward to playing Leon. So, I think at least for the Whitecaps home game we'll see a stronger line up that expected. The game down in LA might be a different matter.

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

On the latest episode of the AFTN podcast, they mentioned that the players are really looking forward to this tournament.

I think that's the wild card in this tournament.  How seriously will any of the clubs approach it?  I wouldn't be surprised if some MLS teams (hello LAFC) sent out their 'B' squads for the games.  If they win, great.  If they lose, take a couple of weeks off to get healthy and get ready for the final push in the MLS season.

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

So, I think at least for the Whitecaps home game we'll see a stronger line up that expected.

I hope so.   Leon did win the CONCACAF Champions League.  I don't know how it and the other Mexican teams are going to approach this tournament but this is almost a must-win for the Caps.  Granted, they handled the Galaxy quite well a couple of days ago but that was at home.  Playing in LA, I don't like their chances.  It would be a shame if they got knocked out in the group stage.

That's the kind of thing that could upset a person:

Lionel Messi might NOT play Inter Miami's game against Cruz Azul, says David Beckham as the new signing 'needs to be ready'

That should be cause for concern, as ticket prices for this match have skyrocketed as fans that pack the 18,000 seat DRV PNK Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale will be eagerly anticipating the arrival of Messi.

Some seats are being sold for as much as $110,000 on second-hand markets, with SeatGeek selling its cheapest ticket for $287 at the time of publishing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12312761/Lionel-Messi-NOT-play-against-Cruz-Azul-says-David-Beckham-Inter-Miami-owner-stresses-new-signing-needs-ready.html