RIP Pele

spitfire

On 1/3/2023 at 9:42 AM, Canuckistan68 said:

Thinking back to my early childhood (over 50 years ago), I think Pele was the first athelete of any sport that I recall knowing.  I knew of Pele before even any hockey star, and I live in Canada!

Bobby Orr.  Flying tnrough the air.  I remember that.  He was the first big time athlete I remember as a little kid.

8 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Another cool thing about him was he was the only New York Athelete that was able to get into Studio 54 back in the day

Joe Namath????  Reggie Jackson???  Heck, ex-New York Ranger Ron Greschner with his then wife, supermodel Carol Ault, must have been able to get in.

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Joe Namath????  Reggie Jackson???  Heck, ex-New York Ranger Ron Greschner with his then wife, supermodel Carol Ault, must have been able to get in.

What I meant was he was the first way back in 1977 he would go along with both Rod Stewart and Mick Jagger

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It opened in April 77 and then had to close for their tax problems in 1980.

There are a few documentaries, one great one is Studio 54: The Documentary, it is fascinating on a lot of levels. 

The whole control of the door was a crucial part of the entire project, they'd let a singer of a band in but not the other members, they might not let the guy with his girlfriend or only let one of a group of friends. it was random, dictatorial, unfair. They were curating the public.

I did not know about Pele but I think that was cool. The only other athlete I recall was O.J.. I think Namath went once retired. The vast majority were socialites, people in the fashion world, musicians, actors, celebrities. I think many active athletes shied from the place because of the strongly gay identity.