2020 Copa America

xabuep2

FIFA General Assembly in Rwanda have approved plans for Copa América to move to even years in order to line with the European Championships. No more details about this tournament, but it opens the possibility to Concacaf nations to be invited and bring the best of their rosters since it is a FIFA official tournament.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2018/m=10/news=fifa-council-makes-key-decisions-for-the-future-of-football-development.html

27 minutes ago, The Ref said:

FIFA overstepped Conmebol?  I always thought that the Copa América was exclusivity a Conmebol tournament.  Infantino is playing musical chairs with all the tournaments.  Tsk tsk!

FIFA must approve in the sense that if they don't, clubs are not obliged to release players! Matches also wouldn't count as competitive ones for rankings etc... (as far as I understand). Slightly more than a formality.

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

I would not mind a 16 team Copa America, but a 24 team tournament would just water down the quality all together.

I hear you.... But watering down is when a nation like Antigua or St Kitts can make it out the group by being a third place team.... That we know for sure won't happen, and if it does, then they deserved to advance. 

So I think itll work. 24 teams, top 2 each group, and the 2 best third placed teams.... This tournament will be sick and to counter Europe. 

Oh yeaa and Canada will be there this time. (I'm half jamaican but hated how they were there, and we weren't) 

Anything alteration to the current format that gets us some meaningful games is going to be welcomed with open arms by Canadian fans.  We need the serious games and the CSA couldn’t refuse to play if we earned a spot could they?! ?. If I was from a powerhouse nation I probably wouldn’t be happy but until we are consistent top 3 in Concacaf let’s enjoy it!

On 10/27/2018 at 4:26 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

I hear you.... But watering down is when a nation like Antigua or St Kitts can make it out the group by being a third place team.... That we know for sure won't happen, and if it does, then they deserved to advance. 

So I think itll work. 24 teams, top 2 each group, and the 2 best third placed teams.... This tournament will be sick and to counter Europe. 

Oh yeaa and Canada will be there this time. (I'm half jamaican but hated how they were there, and we weren't) 

Imo, watering down means lowering the quality of teams and gameplay. Adding lower quality teams just makes it more likely that the lesser teams will play for draws and park the bus, leading to lower scoring games Similar to what happened in the Euros with teams trying to aquire the 4 best third place spots.

The average goal per game in that Euros was 2.12 compared to the other 3 tournaments that had about 2.45 goals per game

Archived