St. John's CPL

Zem

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/13/2018 at 8:04 AM, Obinna said:

MUN having a shit soccer team is a poor argument for suggesting NL will never produce a pro player. Those two things having nothing to do with each other.

One reason MUN struggle in men's soccer because they are basically limited to 100% local players - meanwhile SMU and Dal and Cape Breton have half their squad comprised of players from Ontario or Alberta or from other countries even. I am not suggesting St. John's CPL will have a roster full of Newfoundlanders like the Seahawks - I am suggesting they could have one or two. 

Another reason MUN struggle is because, at least when I played, they brought players together much later than other teams, who start training in late August. MUN don't get their players together until after the final four challenge cup labour day weekend at the beginning of september. That head start of a few weeks makes a difference.

Anyways, I digress. I am not compelled by your agurment that a shit mun team means there will never be a newfoundland pro player.

That literally makes zero sense.

There are pro players from other sports, look at Carl English. Are you going to tell me the basketball scene in NL is so much better than the soccer scene? Lmao

And speaking of the Ottawa Fury, two newfoundlanders were in their youth system, aka on the path to being a pro.

All it takes is one man. That's all I am saying.

It will happen sooner or later, regardless of if CPL ever comes to newfoundland.

Mun doesn’t do well because they don’t run a proper university athletics program. How many Newfoundland males go play for other established programs? 

Ottawa fury academy was pay for play. Two Newfoundland players didn’t go anywhere with it

• 5 months later...

So I'm curious as to how serious the potential owners are about bringing a potential CPL team here. The basketball team team they currently own the St John's Edge(NBL Canada) had an average attendance of 3400 last year. This year the avg attendance is nearly 4000. It went up. 

I'd have to think this would give them more confidence to proceed not less. But who knows.

45 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

So I'm curious as to how serious the potential owners are about bringing a potential CPL team here. The basketball team team they currently own the St John's Edge(NBL Canada) had an average attendance of 3400 last year. This year the avg attendance is nearly 4000. It went up. 

I'd have to think this would giver them more confidence to proceed not less. But who knows.

They also have an ECHL team now, which has also been averaging just under 4,000 a game this season. It's unlcear exactly how deep their pockets are and there's no doubt a CPL club would be their biggest single investment so far. They also haven't said anything publicly about a soccer team since it was briefly mentioned in that article last fall, so it's hard to say if they're serious at all.

As I've said before, the main hurdle to overcome will likely be finding a suitable ownership group. The stadium is there, soccer is already very popular and St. John's has no professional sports in the summer, but there aren't many wealthy businessmen (or former professional players) looking to start a soccer club in Newfoundland. So if the Edge guys decide to back out the whole idea might be dead in the water for now.

They were prime candidates for team #8 at launch, if it wasn't going to be Ottawa, precisely because there was a known interested group and the stadium is there. There were people on here saying CanPL officials had visited last summer while the team #8 saga was unfolding. Fast forward six months and David Clanachan recently mentioned there being two frontrunners on expansion among the eighteen markets they had been in contact with. If Laval is a given on that, is St John's likely to be the other being referred to rather than Saskatoon or Ottawa? That snippet of info suggests they have probably slipped out of contention at least for now along with K/W.

20 minutes ago, Zem said:

They also have an ECHL team now, which has also been averaging just under 4,000 a game this season. It's unlcear exactly how deep their pockets are and there's no doubt a CPL club would be their biggest single investment so far. They also haven't said anything publicly about a soccer team since it was briefly mentioned in that article last fall, so it's hard to say if they're serious at all.

As I've said before, the main hurdle to overcome will likely be finding a suitable ownership group. The stadium is there, soccer is already very popular and St. John's has no professional sports in the summer, but there aren't many wealthy businessmen (or former professional players) looking to start a soccer club in Newfoundland. So if the Edge guys decide to back out the whole idea might be dead in the water for now.

According to Google... the owner (Irwin Simon) networth is around $35M. Which is rich...but maybe not piss-it-away-on-multiple-sports-teams rich....

Them not commenting publicly doesn't really necessarily mean anything though...they could still talking to the league and not talking publicly.

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see if anything happens though. My gut feeling is that the window of opportunity of St John's getting a CPL team is going to hinge on this particular ownership group getting a team in the next couple of years....otherwise it fades significantly.

12 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

According to Google... the owner (Irwin Simon) networth is around $35M. Which is rich...but maybe not piss-it-away-on-multiple-sports-teams rich....

Them not commenting publicly doesn't really necessarily mean anything though...they could still talking to the league and not talking publicly.

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see if anything happens though. My gut feeling is that the window of opportunity of St John's getting a CPL team is going to hinge on this particular ownership group getting a team in the next couple of years....otherwise it fades significantly.

What happened to all that St John's oil money

On 8/13/2018 at 8:04 AM, Obinna said:

MUN having a shit soccer team is a poor argument for suggesting NL will never produce a pro player. Those two things having nothing to do with each other.

One reason MUN struggle in men's soccer because they are basically limited to 100% local players - meanwhile SMU and Dal and Cape Breton have half their squad comprised of players from Ontario or Alberta or from other countries even. I am not suggesting St. John's CPL will have a roster full of Newfoundlanders like the Seahawks - I am suggesting they could have one or two. 

Another reason MUN struggle is because, at least when I played, they brought players together much later than other teams, who start training in late August. MUN don't get their players together until after the final four challenge cup labour day weekend at the beginning of september. That head start of a few weeks makes a difference.

Anyways, I digress. I am not compelled by your agurment that a shit mun team means there will never be a newfoundland pro player.

That literally makes zero sense.

There are pro players from other sports, look at Carl English. Are you going to tell me the basketball scene in NL is so much better than the soccer scene? Lmao

And speaking of the Ottawa Fury, two newfoundlanders were in their youth system, aka on the path to being a pro.

All it takes is one man. That's all I am saying.

It will happen sooner or later, regardless of if CPL ever comes to newfoundland.

Newfoundland won’t have a pro player unless they get out of Newfoundland early like everyone else whose made it in other sports

8 hours ago, Zem said:

The bball team is supported by the basketball community it will fade out over time will be intresting when Carl retires 

echl averages maybe 2500-3000 a night a lot of free tickets 

Newfoundland doesn’t support sports

Clanachan has been here and spoken to the Edge ownership group. They are apparently very interested, but want to give the league a couple of years to watch what happens. I've heard that similar story from 3 different sources, all with levels of knowledge that I consider to be good enough to take their word for it. Certainly this year the group is focused on their basketball / hockey. 

I think St. John's is very, very likely before 2025 unless the group decides not to proceed.

49 minutes ago, Copes said:

Clanachan has been here and spoken to the Edge ownership group. They are apparently very interested, but want to give the league a couple of years to watch what happens. I've heard that similar story from 3 different sources, all with levels of knowledge that I consider to be good enough to take their word for it. Certainly this year the group is focused on their basketball / hockey. 

I think St. John's is very, very likely before 2025 unless the group decides not to proceed.

Following the Ottawa model I see.... /s

It's going to be interesting to see how the league unfolds and how some of the smaller markets like Victoria and Halifax do and ultimately how flexible the league is in accommodating both big and small markets.

On 7/25/2018 at 4:35 PM, Poutinewithtapatio said:

Can a Canadian soccer team finally get a moose on their crest/logo? I think newfounland would be a great choice! I've seen Andrew Zimmer show where he went to Newfoundland and boy do they love moose over there

Not until we at least rebuild our moose into the world's largest again.

17 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

BTW I don't think this has been mentioned but Simon has also purchased a majority share of the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles hockey team in the 'Q'. So he has a few franchises on the go currently.

How much would a majority share in 'Q' team cost?

Archived