So, I don’t see a lot of traction on team in La Première ligue de soccer du Québec (PLSQ) on this site, and figured I’d chime in with a team that is absolutely wrecking the league this year (in a league with 7 teams).

AS Blainville is in 1st place on the table currently, with 29 points, and a +22 goal differential. CS Mont-Royal Outremont has 23 points and is +7, they’re the only team even close to ASB in the standings.

They have a national team player from Île Maurice, Kevin Chan-Yu-Tin (also eligible for Canada), who has played against Ghana in an African Cup of Nations match, as well as former Ottawa Fury and Rochester Rhinos forward Pierre Rudolph-Mayard. Impact Academy grad Nazim Belguendouz also plays for the team, and RDS étoile de la semaine Abdoulaye Sylla continues to rack up goals for the team.

If the CanPL ever does put a team in French-Canada, I’d expect almost all of the aforementioned to participate.

21 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

If he played in an African Cup of Nations match, then he is not eligible for Canada.

I don't know much about PLSQ, but I am looking forward to seeing how they fare in the Voyageurs Cup next year

He is eligible on a transfer, as he has never lived in Maurice, and it was only a qualifying match. It was still FIFA sanctioned though, I believe. But yeah, PLSQ teams usually don't do too well against their Ontario counterparts, but if there is any team with the potential to do what the Impact did in the late 2000's and down a bigger, more professional team - it is AS Blainville. They win most of their games with a clean sheet. 

6 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I've found that PLSQ is a hard league to follow if you don't speak French. Any updates from those who can give them are appreciated.

You could always learn a bit of French! :) 

I can try to post an update on Saturday/Sunday after week 14's games, if that would help stir up some interest?   

29 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

You could always learn a bit of French! :) 

I can try to post an update on Saturday/Sunday after week 14's games, if that would help stir up some interest?   

Mon francais pas bien! Not much use for French in Alberta unfortunately, if you don't use it, you lose it.

I would definitely be interested in that.

A lot of the success of Blainville has to be attributed to the coach who came in 2015 Emmanuel Macagno. The previous coach Jean-Pierre Ceriani had 3 years with the team and didn't do anything with very weak league finishes. Macagno turned it around with a 3rd place in 2015, 2nd in 2016 as well as cup championship and this year first place until now

6 minutes ago, Big_M said:

A lot of the success of Blainville has to be attributed to the coach who came in 2015 Emmanuel Macagno. The previous coach Jean-Pierre Ceriani had 3 years with the team and didn't do anything with very weak league finishes. Macagno turned it around with a 3rd place in 2015, 2nd in 2016 as well as cup championship and this year first place until now

Whatever he is doing appears to be working. B)

My wife is Mauritian and I can tell you the supporters are extremely relieved that Chan-Yu-Tin chose Mauritius, but do wish he would play at a higher level! He's basically like Steven Vitoria, except with good manners.

Just so we're clear, this is total sarcasm as anyone who knows anything about Chinese Mauritians knows that if it's not about the price of fruit or Manchester United, they don't GAF.

My father-in-law has heard about him tho. What I find crazy is that Dimitri Payet actually player pro ball in the neighborhood on Reunion. Talk about a big step up...

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Thanks for keeping us anglos in the loop chris.  Are any of these PLSQ guys looking like they could move on to bigger leagues, coff coff, CPL next year?

There have been a few grumblings. Some guy with a Youtube channel who doesn't speak french basically picked all the PLSQ players with Wikipedia pages a few months ago to make a move to the CanPL - but I don't know if there is substance to it. 

I try to keep a running Excel list of all the players in Québec that could move on, and Rudolph-Mayard, Kevin Chan-Yu-Tin, Mhamed Zakariaj Belguendouz (CS Mont-Royal), and Phillipe Davies (CS Longeuil - formerly Ottawa Fury) would all have my bets. 

Jonathan Vallée (former Ottawa Fury, current FC Gatineau) might be another, along with Cédric Carrié who was with the... U-20 or U-18 national team might make a jump if given the opportunity. 

There is a lot of talent in the PLSQ, but there is high turnover. Like 5 teams have folded in 5 years, and while the league is improving, the death of FC Montréal killed a lot of dreams. Vallée is one guy who was with the team, along with like 8 - 10 others in the PLSQ. 

10 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

My wife is Mauritian and I can tell you the supporters are extremely relieved that Chan-Yu-Tin chose Mauritius, but do wish he would play at a higher level! He's basically like Steven Vitoria, except with good manners.

Just so we're clear, this is total sarcasm as anyone who knows anything about Chinese Mauritians knows that if it's not about the price of fruit or Manchester United, they don't GAF.

My father-in-law has heard about him tho. What I find crazy is that Dimitri Payet actually player pro ball in the neighborhood on Reunion. Talk about a big step up...

Mauritius, Comoros and Réunion all turn out pretty decent players. We're lucky to have guys like Chan-Yu-Tin here. 

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Macagno also coached many former Canadian Women's National Team players as coach of the Laval Dynamites. He was an assistant with Blainville for a long time. Cériani quit early in 2015 because the club wanted him to either be manager of the PLSQ team or technical director, not both and he quit. Macagno was already there.  Cériani built his team on players who were young and had few occupations. 

On 9/8/2017 at 6:37 AM, ChrisinOrleans said:

So, I don’t see a lot of traction on team in La Première ligue de soccer du Québec (PLSQ) on this site, and figured I’d chime in with a team that is absolutely wrecking the league this year (in a league with 7 teams).

AS Blainville is in 1st place on the table currently, with 29 points, and a +22 goal differential. CS Mont-Royal Outremont has 23 points and is +7, they’re the only team even close to ASB in the standings.

CS Mont-Royal Outremont walked through the league last year and had already won the league at this point. This year, AS Blainville is basically doing the same, and they were the only team to beat CSMRO last season. Those two are top-team for PLSQ, and would compete close with the top teams in L1O (even beating the winner last year in the Interprovicial Cup). The next couple clubs are regularly mediocre, and the new teams continue to struggle (as OFFC Reserves did last year). It's a part of how they generally form the teams.

There are a number of players that dropped to PLSQ and L1O with the intention of waiting out the year for CanPL to startup, and most of the PLSQ-bound players returned to Blainville, which is part of the reason why they're stomping everyone (though they've always been near/at top). I expect we'll see quality drop a bit in both L1O & PLSQ once CanPL gets going and those biding their time make their move.

Lack of English-language coverage has been a huge problem for the league. So far, I've not been able to wrangle anyone to cover any of the clubs (or even weekly round-ups) for Northern Starting XI. I manage a few comments in my Elo-ratings articles, but it doesn't really do much, and I can't get in too much detail as I'm painfully uni-lingual myself (despite having repeatedly taken extra language courses, Rosetta Stone, workbooks, courses on tape, etc). If you happen to know anyone able to provide some English-language articles, I'd happily welcome them!

2 hours ago, xcalibre said:

Any of notablems from traditionally Anglo clubs/neighbourhood? Not that it matters, just wondering if they'd be more likely to have English news, social media etc.

CSMRO is. I've seen articles on Link Newspaper covering them for home games and the other clubs are in Francophone neighbourhoods. Still, they're alone with Lakeshore, the most notable anglo club left. Also CSMRO is the only club that is on the Montreal Island where you can see a strong anglophone community. 

• 2 weeks later...

Blainville can clinch on Saturday the title and the V's Cup spot this weekend. They are 9 points clear with 4 matches to go and CSMRO is the only team that can catch them, but if they tie Blainville in the standings, they need to make up a 19 goal differential over those matches. So a Blainville win or a CSMRO loss this weekend would pretty much guarantee them the title. Both teams are playing at the same time too.

Archived