Unofficial CPL fan survey

I put together a short (5 minute estimate) survey to try to establish where there are strong concentrations of CPL fans, what their preferences are, etc. It will be published on NSXI in a little over a month to give it time to get responses. If anyone is interested in answering a few questions or passing the link along elsewhere, here it is!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JF38T59

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the TFCII stream from work right now, and just looking at the wild disparity of attendance within NASL and USL, I can definitely say that the stadium experience is so much more important to attendance than the quality of play on the field.

Awesome survey!!! I am from Edmonton. I started a poll on the Edmonton Supporters Group forum and so far these are the results. 

Would you like FC Edmonton to join the CPL?

Yes - Join in the proposed half season in 2018 - 14% (3)

Yes - Join in the first full season in 2019 - 48% (10)

No - Stay in the NASL - 10% (2)

Maybe - Only if the NASL fails - 29% (6)

Several of the answers are maybe because not much is known about the budget or business plan of the CPL (as stated by the people responding to the poll).

One tidbit from the first 50 respondents...

I can break up responses by where people accessed the survey. The V-boards respondents are trending older, more interested in cable, greater expectations for league quality, more interest in european leagues and MLB than other respondents. Voyageurs representing about 1/4 of respondents so far, twitter ~1/2

40 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Awesome survey!!! I am from Edmonton. I started a poll on the Edmonton Supporters Group forum and so far these are the results. 

Would you like FC Edmonton to join the CPL?

Yes - Join in the proposed half season in 2018 - 14% (3)

Yes - Join in the first full season in 2019 - 48% (10)

No - Stay in the NASL - 10% (2)

Maybe - Only if the NASL fails - 29% (6)

Several of the answers are maybe because not much is known about the budget or business plan of the CPL (as stated by the people responding to the poll).

Mind reposting this survey there? It's obviously impossible to have an unbiased survey done this way, but trying to see opinions outside the CPL bubble as well

35 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

One tidbit from the first 50 respondents...

I can break up responses by where people accessed the survey. The V-boards respondents are trending older, more interested in cable, greater expectations for league quality, more interest in european leagues and MLB than other respondents. Voyageurs representing about 1/4 of respondents so far, twitter ~1/2

What about Vs on twitter? ?

Just now, Complete Homer said:

True, it's not a fair comparison and I don't think I'll make much of a comment on it in the eventual article, just thought it was interesting 

Lots of V's are responding via FB too 

No worries. Just bugging you. 

Plus whenever I see the words 'trending older' I get kind of sad for some reason. 

So pretty happy with the responses so far, a few hundred responses.

One thing is that I'm hoping to gauge people outside of the CPL/Voyageurs bubble if I can, but I don't have access to all communities/don't want to show up and start spamming without having a history there. I've already linked this on twitter/V-boards/RPB/USector, and it sounds like it has gone up on the Edmonton SG board, anyone feel comfortable posting it to the Southsiders/other VWC forums/IMFC forums, if you are already part of those communities?

If you are, this is the link for IMFC SGs https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WBJPX93

This is the link for VWC SGs https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WBQ8LWV

Even CFL fan forums if there's the interest https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WBQ56BS

Splitting the links up helps me add a little extra nuance to any analysis

So responses have slowed down a bit, so here are some sneak peaks

Top 5 markets by # of respondents? Toronto (14.74%), Hamilton (9.52%), Burnaby (7.86%), Winnipeg (7.14%), Ottawa (6.67%)

Most represented age group? 21-29 (30.98%)

Most popular level of support? Season ticket holder + SG member (27.14%)

Preferred platform? Cable TV (35.01%)

Most important factor in fan experience? Good relationship between front office and supporters

Most popular perspective on an adequate level of play for CPL within the first 5 years? Roughly equivalent to USL/NASL (51.33%)

Three most popular leagues among respondents? MLS, EPL, NHL

Most popular response to the effect CPL teams will have on current MLS fans? Planning to support both equally (28.43%)

3 most commonly used words to describe a good fan experience? Atmosphere, Passion, and Community

Currently sitting at 421 responses, hoping to hit ~500 by the end. Full results will be up in a few weeks. I seem to be struggling getting much Quebec representation, any suggestions at where I should link it?

49 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Most popular response to the effect CPL teams will have on current MLS fans? Planning to support both equally (28.43%)

Nice results but this one bugs me sort of after manning comments.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Nice results but this one bugs me sort of after manning comments.

The results are actually look like a standard curve, peaking at supporting both equally. 

Remember that this has gotten posted to MLS SG sites, reddit, etc, it's not all Voyageurs. In fact, only ~20% said that the Voyageurs boards were where they heard about CPL. I'd actually consider it a good result that 90% of respondents want to go to some CPL games at minimum when you remember that the people from outside the CanSoc bubble are answering. Big tent

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

So responses have slowed down a bit, so here are some sneak peaks

Top 5 markets by # of respondents? Toronto (14.74%), Hamilton (9.52%), Burnaby (7.86%), Winnipeg (7.14%), Ottawa (6.67%)

Most represented age group? 21-29 (30.98%)

Most popular level of support? Season ticket holder + SG member (27.14%)

Preferred platform? Cable TV (35.01%)

Most important factor in fan experience? Good relationship between front office and supporters

Most popular perspective on an adequate level of play for CPL within the first 5 years? Roughly equivalent to USL/NASL (51.33%)

Three most popular leagues among respondents? MLS, EPL, NHL

3 most commonly used words to describe a good fan experience? Atmosphere, Passion, and Community

Currently sitting at 421 responses, hoping to hit ~500 by the end. Full results will be up in a few weeks. I seem to be struggling getting much Quebec representation, any suggestions at where I should link it?

Impactsoccer.com and post it on twitter with the hashtage #IMFC. You can also reach https://twitter.com/KanFootClub and https://twitter.com/girlsloveIMFC on twitter. I'm sure they'd gladly help.

Archived