Hamilton CPL Team Name

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Xavier said:

I had Hamilton Club in mind when I created this design.

thoughts?

RuENMRz.png

My only criticism is you went absent on the team branding/identity when you made both kits the same. Soccer/Football kits should have an everlasting identity in the home kits. However I feel you took the easy way out in going early MLS 2.0  when home kits were away away kits just different colours. 

I think some how, some way the team needs to have a slight reference to the Ticats....and black and gold hoops speak loudly to me.

7 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

My only criticism is you went absent on the team branding/identity when you made both kits the same. Soccer/Football kits should have an everlasting identity in the home kits. However I feel you took the easy way out in going early MLS 2.0  when home kits were away away kits just different colours. 

I think some how, some way the team needs to have a slight reference to the Ticats....and black and gold hoops speak loudly to me.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. Like at all.

I think I get it...  a lot of euro teams seem to have iconic home jerseys, but ever changing and random away ones, that may or may not stick to their colours. That's how it seems in rugby anyway. However I like having a cohesive overall brand, and that means sticking with your colours. 

That being said, black and gold hoops would rock.

@Xavier...here you go

11 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

My only criticism is you went absent on the team branding/identity when you made both kits the same. Soccer/Football kits should have an everlasting identity in the home kits.

I could make the easy European reference, but I'll stay in our backyard for reference.

0f29540409d08d0ab46a1184c2d2e368.thumb.jpg.921fe93f380d9fffbe00a6f764e41fff.jpg5919e3241ce85_ChicagoFireJersey.png.d1f05b405469b8210a9ad9243e71036f.pngchicagofirejersey2016.thumb.jpg.e59e897ce69f17ca82099af88d7a6cf3.jpgimages.jpg.01d3e7155d3cf374c5915f5f960158a1.jpgdownload.jpg.d9d4ad339d05017dbc504d7140cbccd5.jpgthumb.jpg.3995cacf60814525243584155925dc03.jpg5919e32939d70_ColoradoRapids2014HomeJersey.thumb.jpg.389a0c30765fa336af4b00e53e5e121e.jpgcoloradojerseyfrontback.thumb.jpg.e28397391ef2ff41b4c34bc82a706282.jpg

Brand identity for soccer speaks to what the club is easily recognized or known for. In these instances Chicago has the one hoop, LA has the sash, and Colorado is the burgundy with white sleeves.

Yuh understand?

However I feel you took the easy way out in going early MLS 2.0  when home kits were away kits just different colours. 

Easy way out being, you wanted to get this out and didnt really think of an identity for a city like Hamilton and went with what Adidas was doing to some MLS teams during a period of time.

Seattle-Sounders_-2009-10-Set.png.bc881fb949f50db4fc19215cb7f862a7.png2012_Montreal_Impact_Jersey.jpg.0d682c8a1ba1d206ab485869d4d73597.jpg

image.

(Hey I guess since you used Adidas you'really going with the how they do things?)

Yea you implemented them in the socks....but people buy jerseys, never the socks.

Home kit

I think you should put hoops on the body of the jersey, and leave the sleeves black. Put the shorts gold and the socks a simple black.

Away kit

Make the secondary/away kit white. Shorts black or white, and you can use the hoop socks.

CFL_HAM_Jersey_2014.png.c0a8faf2b2d4059df22ba7c15a057a9f.pngticatJerseys.jpg.dfdbbf3cf58ce1a99e09d605ef0fab3e.jpg

I would do it myself, but feel like you have a gem that needs a few tweets. 

However I hope you understand now. 

53 minutes ago, Tigers said:

I think I get it...  a lot of euro teams seem to have iconic home jerseys, but ever changing and random away ones, that may or may not stick to their colours. That's how it seems in rugby anyway. However I like having a cohesive overall brand, and that means sticking with your colours. 

That being said, black and gold hoops would rock.

I agree with keeping the colours of the team. There's  so many to choose from Gold, Black, Grey, and White. 

European teams usually have a third jersey that is competely new to the clubs brand...but even the away kits have history to the designs.

All in all what I'm saying is ....dont use the same style/template with "reverse" colours for the away kit. It's just completely lazy to me IMO.

Idk, the majority of North American teams use a reverse. It's not lazy, it's just how it's done here. I could see wanting more to the design on both kits, but even then I think both look sharp.

Hoops on the home or  away WOULD look sweet, and it might look busy to have two hoop kits, but I don't think it's necessary at all. 

Hey, Xavier,  looks like there are subtle hoops on the design you did? Maybe make them thicker and more visible at a distance?

Honestly I feel I could make a dozen different kits for this club. 

I'll play around and come up with something different tonight.

One thing with the hoops is that I absolutely love hoops on jerseys. But I am designing a brand new club in my mind, not the Ti-Cats. I wanted something unique. I added hoops to the socks as an homage to the Ti-Cats but wanted HC to have their own look.

3 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I agree with keeping the colours of the team. There's  so many to choose from Gold, Black, Grey, and White. 

European teams usually have a third jersey that is competely new to the clubs brand...but even the away kits have history to the designs.

All in all what I'm saying is ....dont use the same style/template with "reverse" colours for the away kit. It's just completely lazy to me IMO.

I've been thinking about this all afternoon and it is actually making me angry.

I didn't do it "reverse" colours because I am lazy. I did it because it is aesthetically pleasing. If you saw only one of the two on its own you wouldn't call it lazy design. Plus it's not as if it was just one solid colour. There is a pattern in there which I made myself and put an effect to make it look sublimated. A lot of work go into these concepts. That crest isn't just a font of an "H" and a "C" overlayed on top of each other. Each letter was hand made. 

It's impossible for someone to be "completely lazy" and create something like this. 

I'm having diffiulties making the hoops look good. 

The more research I do the least and least hoops have anything to do with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Besides that jersey from 1935 they really haven't had much to do with hoops. In fact the black kit I made is similar to what they wear. 

Anyways. I tried to work something out with your criticism but it's not working out and I will stand by my original work as the more aesthetically pleasing as well as effective design. 

2 hours ago, Xavier said:

I've been thinking about this all afternoon and it is actually making me angry.

I didn't do it "reverse" colours because I am lazy. I did it because it is aesthetically pleasing. If you saw only one of the two on its own you wouldn't call it lazy design. Plus it's not as if it was just one solid colour. There is a pattern in there which I made myself and put an effect to make it look sublimated. A lot of work go into these concepts. That crest isn't just a font of an "H" and a "C" overlayed on top of each other. Each letter was hand made. 

It's impossible for someone to be "completely lazy" and create something like this. 

So youre offended by a critique...as a GD you shouldnt. You're literally not the only designer here, or the first to post design concepts. Go check the pages of@GuillermoDelQuarto stuff, he and i have both received harsh criticism all the time. Nevertheless he asks, I ask, you ask, we ask for feedback. Feedback is not only going to stroke your ego.

Your work is great and truly orginal, I was only referring to the kits following a common trend of being lazy. It's a common for Adidas to do what you did to MLS clubs (as I've showed), and all I was saying I know you have the ability to create something  better, go a little further then duplicating the layer and changing colours. You didn't even change the shorts, what happens if shorts clash?

As for the hoops, there's hoops in all the Ti-Cat jerseys sleeves, and I was saying to reverse it. (Hoops in the body, leave the sleeves).

Again if you ask for feedback/criticism/input don't ask to only expect "You're the best man"....cause it will and won't happen.

@Jahinho Guerro 

not to mention it's literally impossible to please everyone all the time.  I try my best to get a general consensus and then if a few people don't like something I just kinda shrug and move on.

There was a great video someone showed me about how the main factor that makes a good logo great is actually just time.  As time passes, whatever the image is becomes more ingrained in the collective imagination (of the fans, in this case).

57 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

So youre offended by a critique...as a GD you shouldnt. You're literally not the only designer here, or the first to post design concepts. Go check the pages of@GuillermoDelQuarto stuff, he and i have both received harsh criticism all the time. Nevertheless he asks, I ask, you ask, we ask for feedback. Feedback is not only going to stroke your ego.

Your work is great and truly orginal, I was only referring to the kits following a common trend of being lazy. It's a common for Adidas to do what you did to MLS clubs (as I've showed), and all I was saying I know you have the ability to create something  better, go a little further then duplicating the layer and changing colours. You didn't even change the shorts, what happens if shorts clash?

As for the hoops, there's hoops in all the Ti-Cat jerseys sleeves, and I was saying to reverse it. (Hoops in the body, leave the sleeves).

Again if you ask for feedback/criticism/input don't ask to only expect "You're the best man"....cause it will and won't happen.

Apparently I came off much more bitter than I actually am, I apologize for that.

5 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Apparently I came off much more bitter than I actually am, I apologize for that.

I for one (and many other's here) don't ever intend to come across as trolls...we all are just trying to shape our nation's future with the ideas in our heads. Whether they come to fruition or not.

57 minutes ago, Xavier said:

lol don't worry, we've all had our share of meltdowns/bitterness

some more than others :P

I literally had to delete a few pages worth of comments cause shit got too real.

People here are pretty chill and forgiving if you own up to it.

survey results?   United   love 11.5%   hate 12%

City       love  11.5% hate 11% 

so some may not support a team in Hamilton if it has the wrong name? 

not much difference from other team forums where people love/hate FC, City, United and hate natural disasters and animal names/mascots. 

time for     'Hamilton Grundy'           which most people won't understand. 

Goes along with my other team names--other forums

Winnipeg Guess Who for the rock band from that city

Toronto Splunge  from the Monty Python sketch. 

Mrs Grundy is a figurative name for an extremely conventional or priggish person,[1] a personification of the tyranny of conventional propriety. A tendency to be overly fearful of what the respectable might think is also referred to as Grundyism.

16 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

survey results?   United   love 11.5%   hate 12%

City       love  11.5% hate 11% 

so some may not support a team in Hamilton if it has the wrong name? 

not much difference from other team forums where people love/hate FC, City, United and hate natural disasters and animal names/mascots. 

time for     'Hamilton Grundy'           which most people won't understand. 

Goes along with my other team names--other forums

Winnipeg Guess Who for the rock band from that city

Toronto Splunge  from the Monty Python sketch. 

Mrs Grundy is a figurative name for an extremely conventional or priggish person,[1] a personification of the tyranny of conventional propriety. A tendency to be overly fearful of what the respectable might think is also referred to as Grundyism.

hahahaha wtf

is that what Crash Test Dummy's song was referring to?

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

hahahaha wtf

is that what Crash Test Dummy's song was referring to?

That would be "Superman never made any money saving the world from Solomon Grundy"

He was a villain in Batman and Superman comics.  I was never deep enough into those comics to even hear of him.  

Now the teacher Miss Grundy from the Archie comics....I can still read when waiting to check out of the grocery store. 

....and Crash Test Dummies are from Winnipeg. 

Ok so enough of comics.... picture time! 

Yep Tim Horton's,  yellow and black,   these really did exist! 

Toronto Lynx of PDL in 2007.    goalie wore orange.  I picked these up at their season end auction. 

With CAW union sponsorship on the sleeve.  

2017-05-20 095.JPG

Archived