Hamilton CPL Team Name

On 5/19/2017 at 10:03 PM, Rocket Robin said:

survey results?   United   love 11.5%   hate 12%

City       love  11.5% hate 11% 

so some may not support a team in Hamilton if it has the wrong name? 

not much difference from other team forums where people love/hate FC, City, United and hate natural disasters and animal names/mascots. 

time for     'Hamilton Grundy'           which most people won't understand. 

Goes along with my other team names--other forums

Winnipeg Guess Who for the rock band from that city

Toronto Splunge  from the Monty Python sketch. 

Mrs Grundy is a figurative name for an extremely conventional or priggish person,[1] a personification of the tyranny of conventional propriety. A tendency to be overly fearful of what the respectable might think is also referred to as Grundyism.

Just because a name is disliked it doesn't mean it wouldn't be supported. I was one of the people who disliked united and city but if they were called united or city I would still support the crap out of them. Heck they could be called far worse than that and I'd still support them. It's just fun silly debate is all to keep us entertained until we hear the official name. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw this pop up on my twitter. Interview with James from Barton Street, I apologize James, I forgot your handle on here. Credit to you for being brave enough to go public with your preference on a name...especially THAT one. yuck. hahaha.

Also, credit to the hamilton soccer organization for making their first video about the supporters group. great to see all around.

http://hamiltonprosoccer.ca/video/inside-the-18-james-hutton

36 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

saw this pop up on my twitter. Interview with James from Barton Street, I apologize James, I forgot your handle on here. Credit to you for being brave enough to go public with your preference on a name...especially THAT one. yuck. hahaha.

Also, credit to the hamilton soccer organization for making their first video about the supporters group. great to see all around.

What did he go with?

10 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

What did he go with?

Hamilton City. He explained he didn't think Steelers was a good fit for the city. I was personally kind of shocked they'd produced a video where the supporter would openly denounce a popular name option. Good on them.

3 hours ago, kodiakTFC said:

Hamilton City. He explained he didn't think Steelers was a good fit for the city. I was personally kind of shocked they'd produced a video where the supporter would openly denounce a popular name option. Good on them.

not overly surprised.  he's explained to me a few times that steel makes people think of the past and that it's a dying industry.

they are leaning much more towards the "ambitious city" moniker - hence "city" does not surprise me whatsoever.

I can sorta see the case for both.  If it's steelers, you can always phase in the second meaning of the word "steel" - as in to steel oneself for difficult situations to come.

22 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I believe he is marauder01

James is doing us proud, I got no problem with City SC or Steelers to be honest.

I don't buy into the Steelers = Hamilton is still a steeltown argument. Ottawa isn't a Lumber town anymore but the Lumberjack/Buzzsaw branding of the RedBlacks is working out just fine for them, but James in classy fashion, fully says I'm not speaking for the Battalion as a whole.

I just want to avoid United at all costs. It's not a team that has merged, it's lame to try to piggyback on the Tiger-Cats history if that is the intent and despite how absurd it is, amalgamation still ticks people off around the city.

2 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

I believe he is marauder01

James is doing us proud, I got no problem with City SC or Steelers to be honest. I just want to avoid United at all costs.

its great to see. And please don't take my jokey ribbing about the name as serious anger over it. I'll support this team no matter what they're called...well, within reason. 

9 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The name was most recently used by a CSL (latter day match fixing version) team, but I think they folded a few months ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_City_Soccer_Club

Believe me when I say, no one noticed their presence, or their folding apart from a few of us on the board who groaned and said why doesn't the CSL just die already.

Archived