The Cronenbergs Supporters

matty

5 minutes ago, matty said:

created name and twitter but want to have a meeting to decide everything

Taking the initiative is one thing, but I think you've worked a little backwards here my friend.

Members/interest first, have a meeting to discuss names/initiatives, then launch twitter etc...

All of this seems a little over zealous, and as you know this is a Toronto team....a team where they're multiple supporter groups for an already existing team. We are not Halifax, Moncton, Saskatoon etc..

8 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Think you worked a little backwards there my friend.

Members/interest first, have a meeting to discuss names/initiatives, then launch twitter etc...

Could have but didn't. Would you like to come to the first meeting and help shape the more important elements of the group? Currently thinking is do it in the west end.

Just now, matty said:

Could have but didn't. Would you like to come to the first meeting and help shape the more important elements of the group?

I definitely would.....but I'm not interested in being a part of something I can't relate too or with. I'm not being facetious or cynical, but I think there has to be a little more thought to a name then having a cute reference.

Just now, Jahinho Guerro said:

I definitely would.....but I'm not interested in being a part of something I can't relate too or with. I'm not being facetious or cynical, but I think there has to be a little more thought to a name then having a cute reference.

There is thought to the name far beyond a simple cute reference.

1 minute ago, matty said:

There is thought to the name far beyond a simple cute reference.

Why "The Cronenbergs"? It comes from David Cronenberg aka Toronto/Canada's greatest cinematic talent also it's a mega deformed mutant freak in Rick and Morty and [I'm sure people will look at us and the CPL team as if we're mega deformed mutant freaks for going against the MLSE machine.]

That wreaks of being cute, unless there is thought unmentioned here. 

Again, I'm not being cynical or facetious or trying to bash your idea or initiative....just think it needs more thought outside of your own-self.  

I'm coming from the perspective of how would I or anyone else explain this to our soccer friends who aren't TFC (go hards) without telling them to google David Cronenberg and provide the cute MLSE reference.  

It's hard for me to get behind something like this because it's one mans vision. It would've been different if you had at least 3-5 people meet, discuss and agree to this...but you've skipped the most important steps.

Anyways what do I know about starting a supporters group.

1 minute ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Why "The Cronenbergs"? It comes from David Cronenberg aka Toronto/Canada's greatest cinematic talent also it's a mega deformed mutant freak in Rick and Morty and [I'm sure people will look at us and the CPL team as if we're mega deformed mutant freaks for going against the MLSE machine.]

That wreaks of being cute, unless there is thought unmentioned here. 

"He's not just some famous guy from Toronto. He's SUPER Toronto.

When Cronenberg's work is addressed, Toronto is often placed as a key trope along with bio and body horror, identity issues, mind tricks and sexual oddities. He has filmed almost all of his films here, doesn't hide it and he's built films around Toronto institutions."

The name also provides a sense of the group: It's different. It's something that accepts it's an outsider of sorts. It's supports something outside the MLSE bubble in its own home and is possibly without a team of its own to cheer for.

2 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Again, I'm not being cynical or facetious or trying to bash your idea or initiative....just think it needs more thought outside of your own-self.  

I'm coming from the perspective of how would I or anyone else explain this to our soccer friends who aren't TFC (go hards) without telling them to google David Cronenberg and provide the cute MLSE reference.  

It's hard for me to get behind something like this because it's one mans vision. It would've been different if you had at least 3-5 people meet, discuss and agree to this...but you've skipped the most important steps.

Anyways what do I know about starting a supporters group.

That's fine. I was attempting something very different from the other CPL groups with the name and you're not a fan of that. There will be a seat open to you if you want to help shape the group's actual purpose, which imo is more key than naming.

"He's not just some famous guy from Toronto. He's SUPER Toronto.

When Cronenberg's work is addressed, Toronto is often placed as a key trope along with bio and body horror, identity issues, mind tricks and sexual oddities. He has filmed almost all of his films here, doesn't hide it and he's built films around Toronto institutions."

Insightful, interesting, as this embodies what I think the Toronto CPL team should be about.

That's fine. I was attempting something very different from the other CPL groups with the name and you're not a fan of that. There will be a seat open to you if you want to help shape the group's actual purpose, which imo is more key than naming.

Cool you sold me on the name, appreciate that you didn't take offence but took time to properly explain. 

But this....

337793_1.jpg

meets this

The Cronenbergs.png

I don't know.....

I'm a marketing/branding guy....and to me branding is what brings the appropriate awareness. I'm different but I wouldn't consider myself a freek lol

I don't have the time to be in an actual supporters group, plus I like to see the games better than you typically can from a supporters section so I wasn't going to press this issue really, but I still hate the name of this group, and like Jahinho think it's a bit off that it was just plunked down one day by a guy on a forum, without any sort of meeting or vote, etc.

To me, it sounds like a supporters group for David Cronenberg. The freak aspect of it is a very weak connection, and also a reference to a relatively obscure show (I don't know, maybe it's pretty popular amongst people of a certain age, but I think the general population won't get the reference, even with the logo above).

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

...I'm a marketing/branding guy....and to me branding is what brings the appropriate awareness. I'm different but I wouldn't consider myself a freek lol

I personally view the logo as a sort of interim thing kind of a thanks to @GuillermoDelQuarto, for playing along with a light joke I made a while back, while we figure stuff out. It's definitely to be talked about.

The freak element is very tongue n cheek but it makes sense when you think about Toronto in relation to the rest of Canada and by extension the relation to sports in the city outside Bell and Rogers ownership.

26 minutes ago, Kent said:

....and also a reference to a relatively obscure show (I don't know, maybe it's pretty popular amongst people of a certain age, but I think the general population won't get the reference, even with the logo above).

I'm fine everything else but Rick and Morty has become a cultural icon that does better numbers than most network, basic and premium cable programming despite being on a fringe cable outlet. It's audience is also fairly wide as it does well in all key demos under 50.

11 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm fine everything else but Rick and Morty has become a cultural icon that does better numbers than most network, basic and premium cable programming despite being on a fringe cable outlet. It's audience is also fairly wide as it does well in all key demos under 50.

Fine, you made me look up Rick and Morty's ratings. According to the link below, only 4 episodes have had more than 2 million American viewers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rick_and_Morty_episodes#Ratings

In other words, less than 1 percent of the population. It's not exactly Star Wars level of popularity. Heck, everybody stopped watching the Simpsons 20 years ago, and the ratings have dropped almost every year since (only increased 3 times) since the 2000-2001 season, but The Simpsons still has higher ratings than Rick and Morty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_episodes

Anyways, we should probably stop talking about TV show ratings. This is supposed to be about soccer. Can't wait to hear an initial lineup of teams, and I hope there is a GTA one involved so I don't have to cheer for Hamilton!

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Fine, you made me look up Rick and Morty's ratings. According to the link below, only 4 episodes have had more than 2 million American viewers.

As I said most and it is on a fringe cable channel. It's also solid online

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Anyways, we should probably stop talking about TV show ratings. This is supposed to be about soccer. Can't wait to hear an initial lineup of teams, and I hope there is a GTA one involved so I don't have to cheer for Hamilton!

RnM does better numbers than Liga MX, Premier League and MLS ;)

And yes the wait is killing me

43 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I have no idea who or what a Cronenberg is.

Sorry.

Toronto based filmmaker best known for The Fly, Dead Ringers, Crash (1996), A History of Violence, Naked Lunch and The Brood. Highly acclaimed and beloved, he is considered a innovator of body horror, modern mafia cinema, the erotic psychological thriller and widely considered one of the greatest filmmakers of the past 50 years and Canada's greatest cinematic artist (sorry Michael Snow and Claude Jutra).

Has anyone contacted the man to ask his permission? 

Maybe he will or won't be supportive.

"I don't like soccer/I like soccer".

"Glad you mention me but my lawyers would like.....$5.00 for every time you drop my name". 

Maybe with him it will be wait and see. 

8 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Has anyone contacted the man to ask his permission? 

Maybe he will or won't be supportive.

"I don't like soccer/I like soccer".

"Glad you mention me but my lawyers would like.....$5.00 for every time you drop my name". 

Maybe with him it will be wait and see. 

Nah you can't copyright a name

Compare the name "The Cronenbergs Supporters" with the name for Winnipeg's CPL supporters group, Red River Rising. Two opposite ends of the spectrum in my mind.

Beyond the name, it seems like the group was just formed as a joke in one person's mind, with no actual thought given as to how an actual non-TFC supporters group in the GTA would want to operate. Perhaps it's time to try again. Make a genuine attempt at starting a CPL supporters group with some thought behind it, supporting a team that could use the support (e.g. a League1 Ontario club) in the meantime.

Just my two cents.

6 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Compare the name "The Cronenbergs Supporters" with the name for Winnipeg's CPL supporters group, Red River Rising. Two opposite ends of the spectrum in my mind.

Beyond the name, it seems like the group was just formed as a joke in one person's mind, with no actual thought given as to how an actual non-TFC supporters group in the GTA would want to operate. Perhaps it's time to try again. Make a genuine attempt at starting a CPL supporters group with some thought behind it, supporting a team that could use the support (e.g. a League1 Ontario club) in the meantime.

Just my two cents.

So far one person that's interested in joining has mentioned changing the name and I get it it's not a traditional name by any means. The name is up for discussion, possibly at the first or second meeting, but as I've said there is a reason behind it and as we've seen some do support the name because it goes against the grain.

It'll be settled soon I'm sure.

L1O support is a lock for first meeting talk.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Toronto based filmmaker best known for The Fly, Dead Ringers, Crash (1996), A History of Violence, Naked Lunch and The Brood. Highly acclaimed and beloved, he is considered a innovator of body horror, modern mafia cinema, the erotic psychological thriller and widely considered one of the greatest filmmakers of the past 50 years and Canada's greatest cinematic artist (sorry Michael Snow and Claude Jutra).

Eastern Promises is right up there with No Country for Old Men when it comes to the best films from the previous decade, the 2000s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived