Fledging CanPL supporters group in Halifax

garmc

22 minutes ago, garmc said:

Yeah, the Jazics have nothing to do with TFC. They're both Halifax guys. Ante, like already mentioned is a former CMNT player and MLS player (Galaxy and Chivas) who retired in 2012.

Alan, I think is his brother, and is the coach of Dalhousie University's men's team. 

I would have to assume that the Durty Nelly's Paul mentioned is the pub, and not the minor soccer team. ( He specifically mentioned "Joe" but I have no idea who that is)

To me this seems like some kind of celebration type deal. I think Halifax to CPL might be further along than we realize. 

Pretty sure Ante doing u15 camps for the CSA with Paul Stalteri. Alan does coach Dal who actually had a player in this years MLS draft if I'm not mistaken. I would also assume Paul from Durty Nelly's is the Pub owner as they are actually just a shirt sponsor for Western Halifax in the eastlink prem I believe. I'd assume Durty Nelly's may be a potential sponsor for the Halifax CPL team or more likely a minority owner as SEA mentioned looking for partners. I too think they're farther along then we think. I assumed we'd be an expansion team but when they mentioned a pop up stadium I started thinking they could be ready for launch.

This would be good fit for Halifax. The only other major sports team in the Area would be to the Halifax Mooseheads hockey team which operates in the Fall/Winter months. We have nothing at all in the Spring/Summer. The commons would be a 100% perfect place for a soccer pitch. 

The problem I fins in Halifax has always been a lack of ability to get things done. Its just really sad how little we have for a city nearing a population of 500,000. With that being said there are lots of soccer fans and layers in the area. Should be easy if the ticket prices are reasonable to draw 4000 - 5000 a game.

I know I would consider season tickets. Lets hope someone grabs the bull by the horns and gets this done - it seems like a no brainer to me!

16 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

This would be good fit for Halifax. The only other major sports team in the Area would be to the Halifax Mooseheads hockey team which operates in the Fall/Winter months. We have nothing at all in the Spring/Summer. The commons would be a 100% perfect place for a soccer pitch. 

The problem I fins in Halifax has always been a lack of ability to get things done. Its just really sad how little we have for a city nearing a population of 500,000. With that being said there are lots of soccer fans and layers in the area. Should be easy if the ticket prices are reasonable to draw 4000 - 5000 a game.

I know I would consider season tickets. Lets hope someone grabs the bull by the horns and gets this done - it seems like a no brainer to me!

Halifax does have the Hurricanes who play in the NBL Canada from Boxing Day through May. Not major league in any sense, but they do draw a few thousand a game. Any professional soccer team with right marketing should be able to outdraw the Hurricanes easily.

Ok, glad to confirm I am not crazy. Last I remembered of Ante was youth national team coaching.

Anyways, I have to admit if a pub ends up being a shirt sponsor for a CPL team, that seems kind of bush league. Especially one with a name like "Durty Nellys". Is it at least a chain or something or is it a one off?

Anyways, I am still excited about this. I hope the team comes to fruition and is successful.

35 minutes ago, Kent said:

Ok, glad to confirm I am not crazy. Last I remembered of Ante was youth national team coaching.

Anyways, I have to admit if a pub ends up being a shirt sponsor for a CPL team, that seems kind of bush league. Especially one with a name like "Durty Nellys". Is it at least a chain or something or is it a one off?

Anyways, I am still excited about this. I hope the team comes to fruition and is successful.

I'm pretty sure its more likely a minority partner, because they were together at the TFC game. It would be very early to have a shirt sponsor locked in already and I'd think they'd have larger companies interested in sponsoring them, such as Sobey's or Keith's Brewery. It would be awesome if Nelly's was involved in ownership because you'd for sure have some nice away game nights and pregames. 

8 hours ago, BradMack said:

Alan does coach Dal who actually had a player in this years MLS draft if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah they did, Bezick Evraire. I'm surprised that didn't make more noise. The first time ever that a CIS player was in the MLS Draft, and it was pretty quiet about it. You'd have to think Bezick might be a player for this team if it ever comes to fruition.

8 hours ago, BradMack said:

I'm pretty sure its more likely a minority partner, because they were together at the TFC game. It would be very early to have a shirt sponsor locked in already and I'd think they'd have larger companies interested in sponsoring them, such as Sobey's or Keith's Brewery. It would be awesome if Nelly's was involved in ownership because you'd for sure have some nice away game nights and pregames. 

Keith's would be an awesome sponsor for a Hali team.  A craft brew like Garrison's would be great too, but I don't really know the level of financing that would be involved.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

Oddly there is a pub in Regina that recently changed its name from McNally's to Durty Nelly's which surprised me. 

Wait a minute!! It all makes sense!!

BREAKING: DURTY NELLY'S REGINA CANPL TEAM TO HAVE AFFILIATE IN HALIFAX!!!

18 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Just a little update. Over the weekend our Halifax supporters group picked our name and came up with a logo.

Introducing the Halifax Wanderers support group. Drop by and say hello!

Follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/Wanderers_SG 

Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/341036926255031/

Cheers!

wanderers.jpg

Out of curiosity, how large was the group? 

We are only small as of yet as news about a possible franchise just broke a couple weeks ago. We have about 35 in our facebook group and 200 followers on twitter. We had a little meeting on the weekend to set a name and direction for the group and we had 8 people there to kind of 'kick things off'. These are really early days but we are encouraged so far with the interest that has been shown in the group. 

4 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

We are only small as of yet as news about a possible franchise just broke a couple weeks ago. We have about 35 in our facebook group and 200 followers on twitter. We had a little meeting on the weekend to set a name and direction for the group and we had 8 people there to kind of 'kick things off'. These are really early days but we are encouraged so far with the interest that has been shown in the group. 

The hamilton one started very small too.  This is standard.  Getting social media up will be a start, and scarves will be a bigger boost than you think.

And @garmc and I have a few other ideas up our sleeve ;)

New to the forums here but I was part of that first Skype call with the Wanderers. Very exciting to see what's happening with the growing numbers of online followers and the new logo. Our identity is beginning to take shape! 

The passion displayed in that first conversation and the interest being shown online is very encouraging. There's been a few minor interactions between the SG and S|E|A, the ownership group, which points to each sides' willingness to work together. Something very positive and I believe is vital if this team is to come to fruition and flourish. 

Also something that stuck out to me is how all the supporters group from across the country appear to be working together for the greater good and towards the common goal of making the CPL a reality and viable. This is a great community to part of in an exciting time. Looking forward to working with you guys and joining in on the discussions.

Worth mentioning, we're planning on having a few drinks and our first impromptu meeting at a still undecided Halifax pub on a still undecided date sometimes in the New Year which I believe will really get this ball rolling. We'll make sure the word is out on the place and time when those details are hashed out. Exciting times ahead!

2 hours ago, AcadianWanderer said:

New to the forums here but I was part of that first Skype call with the Wanderers. Very exciting to see what's happening with the growing numbers of online followers and the new logo. Our identity is beginning to take shape! 

The passion displayed in that first conversation and the interest being shown online is very encouraging. There's been a few minor interactions between the SG and S|E|A, the ownership group, which points to each sides' willingness to work together. Something very positive and I believe is vital if this team is to come to fruition and flourish. 

Also something that stuck out to me is how all the supporters group from across the country appear to be working together for the greater good and towards the common goal of making the CPL a reality and viable. This is a great community to part of in an exciting time. Looking forward to working with you guys and joining in on the discussions.

Worth mentioning, we're planning on having a few drinks and our first impromptu meeting at a still undecided Halifax pub on a still undecided date sometimes in the New Year which I believe will really get this ball rolling. We'll make sure the word is out on the place and time when those details are hashed out. Exciting times ahead!

Welcome to the forum. 

Just wanted to echo and reinforce a couple of the things you've said. There is a ton of support for each other and our various fledgling supporter groups across the country, and purposefully so. Although many of the maritimes folks are a little more isolated and therefore haven't experienced this as much, the foundation of this support has been building for years through the 'Voyageurs network' of people across the country who have gotten to know each other travelling and attending national team games. It's a great group of passionate soccer people, and it sets us up well to mutually support each other and the league. Exciting times ahead indeed.

19 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

The hamilton one started very small too.  This is standard.  Getting social media up will be a start, and scarves will be a bigger boost than you think.

And @garmc and I have a few other ideas up our sleeve ;)

To add to this, the Calgary group started small, and still is quite small to be honest. We had 6 at our opening meeting in March 2015 and get about 15-20 to games, although our social media following is steadily building. Even a small group can have a big impact at games.

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

To add to this, the Calgary group started small, and still is quite small to be honest. We had 6 at our opening meeting in March 2015 and get about 15-20 to games, although our social media following is steadily building. Even a small group can have a big impact at games.

in fairness to you guys though, you didn't have the prospect of CPL to help build momentum.  

It's impressive really, considering most people don't really know what PDL is outside of this forum.

Archived