Canadian USL Expansion Discussion 2016-

Dub Narcotic

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Nik Martineau of TVA, Edmonton will also join the USL. If this turns out to be true (IF being the important word here), then I have to think NASL is in a lot of trouble. Fath has been the only owner around since 2011, and owns most of the B shares in NASL.

Also, if this turns out to be true, I think it is a damn good move for the club (CPL is my preference, but given that there is no actual CPL as of today this is the best place the club can currently go). Fath is on record as stating they need about 8k in attendance to break even, and they are getting around 25% of that in the stands right now.

Huge news if true, but a bit strange we hear about it first in French? Ties in with a tweet from Indianapolis earlier that two more NASL teams are in negotiations with USL. That would mean 5 Canadian USL teams. Add Hamilton to the mix and there is a 6 team Canadian division waiting to happen with the 6 strongest markets all in place. Calgary and Winnipeg would be the most obvious gaps at that point with Foothills FC and Winnipeg WSA said to be or have been interested in stepping up. Think that's how "CPL" will actually happen.

So that would mean Fath is willing to abandon his stake in NASL.  Certainly looks like the end for NASL.  Interesting to know the story behind the split.

Update: Steve Sandor's update makes more sense.  Edmonton seemed like stalwart for NASL.  We'll see if they are proved right.  NASL still shaky, though if other clubs are USL-bound.  Will we see more bad expansion decisions (like Rayo OKC) as that league tries to stay viable?  Still hoping some journalist will unearth what happened to NASL in 2016.

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Huge news if true, but a bit strange we hear about it first in French? Ties in with a tweet from Indianapolis earlier that two more NASL teams are in negotiations with USL. That would mean 5 Canadian USL teams. Add Hamilton to the mix and there is a 6 team Canadian division waiting to happen with the 6 strongest markets all in place. Calgary and Winnipeg would be the most obvious gaps at that point with Foothills FC and Winnipeg WSA said to be or have been interested in stepping up. Think that's how "CPL" will actually happen.

I believe it will happen with the CSA wanting it to happen lol.  Definitely an interesting few days though.  Can't wait to see the fall out from when all is said and done.

18 minutes ago, grande said:

Didn't Hamilton try for aUSL team in 2009 (give it take) and get rejected by CSA? It'd kinda be a bummer it Ottawa gets approved.

And there in lies my disgust with the whole refusal of the CSA to allow it originally. They have done nothing but waste time. If I were Hamilton or Victoria I'd be really pissed off and screaming into the phone right about now.

3 minutes ago, TRM said:

And there in lies my disgust with the whole refusal of the CSA to allow it originally. They have done nothing but waste time. If I were Hamilton or Victoria I'd be really pissed off and screaming into the phone right about now.

Maybe they don't have permission and it's heading to a lawsuit?

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

Maybe they don't have permission and it's heading to a lawsuit?

Doubt it. The CSA is the sanctioning body for the sport in our country. They get to make up the rules as they go and change them when they want. Not much anyone can do about it. You could play unsanctioned but that would amount to being boycotted by everyone under FIFA's umbrella which is 99.999% of soccer teams.

2 minutes ago, TRM said:

Doubt it. The CSA is the sanctioning body for the sport in our country. They get to make up the rules as they go and change them when they want. Not much anyone can do about it. You could play unsanctioned but that would amount to being boycotted by everyone under FIFA's umbrella which is 99.999% of soccer teams.

Not saying it makes sense but this is North America.  Just reminds me of the Raiders moving to LA in the 80's, NFL said no and they sued their way there.  It's early in the whole situation.  I'm sure the story will be out soon.

8 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

For anyone who thinks Rollins has any sort of credibility:

I put "CPL" in quotes above for a reason. That's no doubt true where John McGrane's league is concerned, but there's no reason why that has to be what eventually emerges if most of the stakeholders in pro soccer want to move in a different direction.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I put "CPL" in quotes above for a reason. That's no doubt true where John McGrane's league is concerned, but there's no reason why that has to be what eventually emerges if most of the stakeholders in pro soccer want to move in a different direction.

I'm pretty sure John McGrane kicked your dog or something, you seem personally pitted against him, despite the fact that the Hamilton City Council meetings were shown to be backed by Bob Young and Montagliani via the letters to city council from those two. I'm borderline convinced that your whole shtick is a personal issue with the guy

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm pretty sure John McGrane kicked your dog or something, you seem personally pitted against him, despite the fact that the Hamilton City Council meetings were shown to be backed by Bob Young and Montagliani via the letters to city council from those two.

He'll never miss an opportunity to shit on the CPL.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There was rumoured to be a group interested in starting a team in Hamilton when the USL was launched at D3 level. Victoria Highlanders fans are also likely to be asking what is going on:

I'd like to get an explanation on this. 

Archived