Hamilton NASL Supporters Meet-up

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys,,, my apologies..as usual my job got in the way tonight... got sent to Port Perry for an emergency call.. just arrived home now...( 11:00pm)...very frustrating,.,,,, anyway..I hope the meeting went well... and im on board whatever name you went with... for those of us who couldn't make it..  can someone maybe just post an update or PM with details... thanks guys,,,

No massive updates but here are the meeting notes:

-Officially going with the name of Barton Street Battalion

-Logos will be mocked up possibly featuring some but not limited to: Gage park fountain, HSR Bus, Hammer, Steel Mills, Skyway Bridge

-Currently working through songs about: Bob Young (Forever Young), Barton Street Bus

-Looking for suggestions on songs for: Victory songs, Canadian songs, other general songs

-Just for fun: Joked about team being named East Ham FC, Gore Park Rangers

Next meeting (likely next TFC away game in Oct):

-Sort out our "commandments" of the BSB

-Review logo mockups

-Other?

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Fountain one in the middle. If you're really bored how about more of a square or shield design to include multiple icons possibly including: fountain, hammer, Argyll and Sutherland crest, City of Hamilton Crest, soccer ball etc.

Again, only if you're really bored.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I should have time today and tomorrow so I'll be back with a bunch of options.  Any other ideas for concepts/elements?

Edit: also, perhaps you could link me to the argyll and sutherland crest you're referring to, there seem to be quite a few different images, and not being from hamilton, I'm not exactly sure which makes sense.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I should have time today and tomorrow so I'll be back with a bunch of options.  Any other ideas for concepts/elements?

Edit: also, perhaps you could link me to the argyll and sutherland crest you're referring to, there seem to be quite a few different images, and not being from hamilton, I'm not exactly sure which makes sense.

Argyll Crest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_%26_SH_of_C_cap_badge.png

Anyways, very impressed with the crest, we just need to get a number 2 on that Bus.

You guys, as Hamilton's only known soccer supporters group, should draft a letter to Bob Young and Scott Mitchell to try and get some clarification on what the plan is for a full-time Hamilton pro soccer club. The latest rumor is that Detroit, Oklahoma City, and San Francisco each made pitches to the NASL board earlier this week... but no Hamilton.

I understand that Bob and Scott can't make EVERY little thing public, but a complete cone of silence on the future of soccer in Hamilton doesn't show their future fans much respect. See if they'll enlighten us. 

You guys, as Hamilton's only known soccer supporters group, should draft a letter to Bob Young and Scott Mitchell to try and get some clarification on what the plan is for a full-time Hamilton pro soccer club. The latest rumor is that Detroit, Oklahoma City, and San Francisco each made pitches to the NASL board earlier this week... but no Hamilton.

I understand that Bob and Scott can't make EVERY little thing public, but a complete cone of silence on the future of soccer in Hamilton doesn't show their future fans much respect. See if they'll enlighten us. 

There was interest in NASL but no longer. NASL comish says there is no interest anywhere in Canada. Fully expect this team to play in the new Canadian League.

There was interest in NASL but no longer. NASL comish says there is no interest anywhere in Canada. Fully expect this team to play in the new Canadian League.

I know, and it's a huge blunder, if you ask me. The only way I can explain it is if Bob wants to avoid paying the NASL expansion fee, which is extremely short-sighted of him.

Still, even that news came to us via other sources. How come Bob and Scott haven't told you guys ANYTHING about the soccer plans? Write them a letter to let them know you think you deserve some kind of update, and that it should come from them and not some secondary source.

I think you're being pretty ridiculous.

Why would he owe us anything if there hasn't been any official announcement about anything?

Why would he pay an expansion fee and an exit fee to just change over to the Canadian league? Just because he's wealthy doesn't mean he wants to throw his money around.

We don't "deserve" let alone need any kind of update, they're excellent owners for the Ticats and I expect the same excellent management when the soccer team rolls out.

I fully expect all teams in the C-League to be silent until a top down announcement is made from the CSA themselves. Until then we're content to sit tight and plan things as they come. There will be plenty of time between the announcement and the start of the league to build a supporters/owners relationship

I know, and it's a huge blunder, if you ask me. The only way I can explain it is if Bob wants to avoid paying the NASL expansion fee, which is extremely short-sighted of him.

Still, even that news came to us via other sources. How come Bob and Scott haven't told you guys ANYTHING about the soccer plans? Write them a letter to let them know you think you deserve some kind of update, and that it should come from them and not some secondary source.

I'm going to echo Marauder's sentiment. While I agree time in NASL and then a jump to a new Canadian league is the way I think would be best for a new club and this new league, the fact of the matter is, I'm not privy to the finances or backers of this new league, nor am I privy to just how hard the USSF is coming down on NASL with the corruption indictment, how they are going to take being threatened with an anti-trust suit or how far along NASL's west coast ambitions are and even if they will maintain their division 2 certification at this rate. There's a lot of cards in the air waiting to fall on the NASL and given the idea is to eventually start a Canadian league anyways, better to build that foundation quietly.

I'm going to echo Marauder's sentiment. While I agree time in NASL and then a jump to a new Canadian league is the way I think would be best for a new club and this new league, the fact of the matter is, I'm not privy to the finances or backers of this new league, nor am I privy to just how hard the USSF is coming down on NASL with the corruption indictment, how they are going to take being threatened with an anti-trust suit or how far along NASL's west coast ambitions are and even if they will maintain their division 2 certification at this rate. There's a lot of cards in the air waiting to fall on the NASL and given the idea is to eventually start a Canadian league anyways, better to build that foundation quietly.

Just to clarify, the NASL is not implicated at all in the corruption indictment of Traffic so there's nothing for the USSF to come down on them for.

NASL suspended all business dealings with Traffic when the news came out and the one club they own (Carolina) is run by a caretaker group and will be sold.

With the success NASL's Ottawa Fury FC has had in only their second year in the league we can see what the potential is for Hamilton in NASL with a similar setup. However, Hamilton seems to be a leader in the push for the D1A "C-League" and should let things play out to see if the league can get launched. If it doesn't in the next 6 months or so then they can always join the NASL in 2017 instead. They won't be on the sidelines indefinitely.

Just to clarify, the NASL is not implicated at all in the corruption indictment of Traffic so there's nothing for the USSF to come down on them for.

NASL suspended all business dealings with Traffic when the news came out and the one club they own (Carolina) is run by a caretaker group and will be sold.

With the success NASL's Ottawa Fury FC has had in only their second year in the league we can see what the potential is for Hamilton in NASL with a similar setup. However, Hamilton seems to be a leader in the push for the D1A "C-League" and should let things play out to see if the league can get launched. If it doesn't in the next 6 months or so then they can always join the NASL in 2017 instead. They won't be on the sidelines indefinitely.

In a perfect world, yes, NASL hasn't been implicated, Traffic was suspended and that one CEO acted alone and the USSF treats all soccer league interests equally.

That said, Traffic has had it's hands in the NASL for a long time and there may be other shady stuff as a result that may come to light, and the USSF in my view, is far more linked to the hip and willing to server potential interests in MLS who wouldn't mind seeing the USL replace the upstart NASL. Also, no organization likes being threatened with potential lawsuits that the NASL has warned of.

However, as stated it's not the only card in the air with NASL right now, and the USSF if pushed too far may be far more inclined towards giving the NASL a lot less rope on another other potential issues the league faces, like the west coast requirement.

I completely agree with you on the last paragraph though, if the C-League doesn't work out or make desired progress, NASL may be an option. Likely by then the storm clouds around NASL will have past, and hopefully without any damage.

Couple of updates, feedback welcome.  Fairly rough still, especially the Gage park fountain one.  Wasn't really sure how to do the us, but let me know what you think. nXEzJGY.png

I think this is the closest one to what I would like.  I think long term you need a bit of minimalism for an enduring logo.  I like the hammer, shield and colours, especially with some grey and black. Maybe this would be perfect if the hexagons were removed and the grey was used as a 2nd interior or exterior thin border.  Like I said this is very close to perfect

Archived