Orlando vs Whitecaps

shamrock

Boy celebrated that one even harder than last week's. I really don't think we deserved it but will take it, those are big points.

Funny how I think we are sloppy defending, mids on the wrong side of the ball and no concerted pressure on it either, and still get a clean sheet.

Then our passing game is also weak, careless, with Morales below par, but somehow we create more chances than rivals.

We miss easy goals and close ones, then end up winning anyways (this and last week).

Everything that should be costing us has not these past two games. And Rivero is pretty classy stuff.

Were just in week 3 and and Kianz-Froese is getting some minutes, Gagnon-Lapare made his season-debut and Larin really showed some flashes of brilliance when he came in. I think it's not all that bad in MLS for Canadians. Though for Adekugbe though, starting to make a name for him self and being carried off injured. Hope it doesn't set him back too much.

Donovan Ricketts at 98 Kg (215 lbs) vs Sam Adekugbe at 75 Kg (165 lbs) ... Ouch. I hope the ribs aren't broken but it sure looked like it. Damn. Both went for the ball and Sam got to it but the flick hit Donovan and stayed out then the collision. Knee to chest. Double ouch.

Get well soon. 

Rivero sure looks like the real deal. Hold up play, passing and scoring. Great forward. 

Kianz gets some minutes and looks good doing it. Great to see. 

Larin almost had one. Even with a awkward turn and striking a ball in a less than optimal position he got a lot on it. Just wide and made my heart skip a beat. He got a lot of power on a shot that most players wouldn't be able to do anything but flick on. 

The Orlando fans are defo homer newbs. Soccer mom and dads who think the ref is always wrong when their team commits a foul.

Some fans are just like that, even knowing the game. I see it with teams in Andalusia in Spain, whiny fans (Betis, who I otherwise like).

My experience in BC Place has been generally good, I think Van fans are quite knowledgable and do not overreact, so in fact when a ref does screw up a call the fans do get into it and pressure the officials, which I like. Sure you hear some dummies, but only a few. I even think the supporter groups are not altogether prep school like in some of those Yankee stadiums, they actually watch the game and are not just cheerleading. At Seattle people just copy each other, they are clones, while at Fire I saw they had a metallic pulpit built up in front of a stand with two guys trying to be white Reverend Jesse Jacksons, totally silly.

The quality of the game was great. I definately prefered that to any Prem game I watched this weekend. Both teams played the way soccer is supposed to be played, which is quick build up play through the midfield. I'm excited for the next 5 years. I expect the French Ligue 1 influence to finally take hold with the next generation of youth influx into the league. That in itself would ensure MLS top ten consideration.

Injury update: @SamAdekugbe has severely bruised ribs & will receive further evaluation over the next couple days #speedyrecovery #VWFC

If that is all it is I'll be relieved. The trouble breathing that he was showing is usually a sign of broken ribs. Please just be "severely bruised". It's a huge difference in recovery time. A month or so for bruised ribs but 3+ for broken. When you can do chinups without any pain you are better. 

Wow, thankful for that.  I was thinking losing the potential of Sam and Doneil both within the space of two weeks...really disappointing for Canada fans.

That said, I've had deeply bruised ribs before...it can still affect you for a LONG time.  

Also must say I see very little progress in the trio of Manneh, Mattocks and Hurtado from two years ago. They have more discipline but still such amateur choice-making and no real sign of polish. At some point you have to expect more than just uncorked potential and see a better all-around developing.

I was hoping Caleb Clarke would be competing for a spot off the bench. Instead, he's coming off the bench for Whitecaps 2.

This confuses me too. He's scored everywhere's he has gone and should be Rivero's back up. But Vancouver seem perfectly content to stuff him down with WC2 and leave him there in favour of a guy like Hurtado, who hasn't convinced me he's a better striker than Clarke.

Apparently Earnshaw will be signed so he becomes the backup or second forward to Rivero. The coaches of the Caps appear to share your view of the other 2. Rivero is 23 so an experienced striker like Earnshaw up top could help Clarke and the others in their development. Give them all one year and see who fits best with Rivero when Earnshaw moves on.

I think Clarke is at least on par with Mattocks & Hurtado. In USL he will get more minutes than the other 2 in MLS. If Earnshaw is signed  I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both Mattocks & Hurtado playing in USL as well. 

As long as Clarke nails it in USL he'll get his chance in MLS. Soon I hope. The USL season hasn't started yet so I'm not worried by his not starting every game. It is still preseason for them and the coaches want to look at everyone. 

Archived