11:00 Tasos Marko / Paralimni  11 / 12 position

11:30 GSZ / Larnaca                  9 / 10 position

14:00 Tasos Marko / Paralimni   7 / 8 position

14:00 CSP / Nicosia                    5 / 6 position

14:30 GSZ / Larnaca                  3 / 4 position

18:00 GSP / Nicosia                    Final

Cyprus is 7 hours ahead of Toronto, ON, Canada

New Zealand has dropped out of the Cyprus Cup: http://www.cypruswomenscup.net/ 

@JeffKassouf: New Zealand FA tells me they pulled out of Cyprus Cup b/c "series against Spain fit our preparation for the WC better than the Cyprus Cup."

They weren't in Canada's group but could have had to play us in the placement game. I wonder if being drawn into Canada's WWC group could have anything to do with them dropping out...

New Zealand has dropped out of the Cyprus Cup: http://www.cypruswomenscup.net/

@JeffKassouf: New Zealand FA tells me they pulled out of Cyprus Cup b/c "series against Spain fit our preparation for the WC better than the Cyprus Cup."

They weren't in Canada's group but could have had to play us in the placement game. I wonder if being drawn into Canada's WWC group could have anything to do with them dropping out...

It is possible.  I don't really get that strategy (I think it was hugely beneficial that we played China last month) but obviously England and or France buy into that idea.

[1] Russia has pulled out of the 2015 Istria Cup and will likey take New Zealand's spot in the 2015 Cyprus Cup.

[2] It's likely that New Zealand wanted to avoid being scouted by Canada.  John Herdman already knows their team inside out  and any subtle differences/secrets  he could probably spot in a second. The most recent starting 11 for the Football Ferns ( a loss to the Matildas a few days ago)  are ALL  players who played for John Herdman in the 2011 WWC in Germany:

Forwards:                 Gregorious,  Hearn,  Wilkinson

Midfielders:                    Longo,  Hoyle,   Hassett

Defenders:                  Riley, Erceg, Stott, Percival

Keeper:                                       Nayler

Probably part of it but questionable how much.  Playing four games in seven days means unless you have a lot of legs your performance degrades each game.  The Ferns rely on their starters and it's not a great scenario for them.  They would be better suited to a couple of well-prepared friendlies with full batteries.

CanWNT roster for Cyprus...

CANADA

GK- Stephanie Labbé | SWE / KIF Örebro

GK- Karina LeBlanc | USA / Chicago Red Stars

GK- Erin McLeod | USA / Houston Dash

D- Kadeisha Buchanan | USA / West Virginia University

D- Allysha Chapman | USA / Houston Dash

D- Robyn Gayle | unattached / sans club

D- Carmelina Moscato | unattached / sans club

D- Marie-Eve Nault | SWE / KIF Örebro

D- Rebecca Quinn | USA / Duke University

D- Rhian Wilkinson | USA / Portland Thorns FC

D- Emily Zurrer | SWE / Jitex BK

M- Kaylyn Kyle | USA / Portland Thorns FC

M- Jonelle Filigno | USA / Sky Blue FC

M- Jessie Fleming | CAN / London NorWest SC

M- Desiree Scott | ENG / Notts County Ladies FC

M- Sophie Schmidt | unattached / sans club

M- Selenia Iachelli | unattached / sans club

M- Ashley Lawrence | USA / West Virginia University

F- Josée Bélanger | CAN / Comètes de Laval

F- Janine Beckie | USA / Texas Tech University

F- Christina Julien | GER / FF USV Jena

F- Adriana Leon | USA / Chicago Stars

F- Christine Sinclair | USA / Portland Thorns FC

F- Melissa Tancredi | USA / Chicago Red Stars

No surprises really. Two changes from the 4 nations tournament roster in January- IN: Robyn Gayle & Selenia Iachelli, OUT: Sura Yekka & Nkem Ezurike

Christina Julien is back with Canada after a two year absence. She last played for Canada in the 2013 Cyprus Cup. Given that  Frauen Bundesliga 1 is one of the best women soccer leagues in the world, Christina Julien's strong season at USV Jena deserved a call up. But I don't expect Christina Julien to be some miracle cure for Canada's scoring woes. In the past, under John Herdman, Christina Julien has the same scoring rate for CANWNT  as Filigno and Leon : all three players only average 1 goal and 1 assist for every 10 games they play for Canada.

Yes, I missed Julien. She was last in camp in June 2014, last cap in 2013 like you mentioned. She's been in camp on and off for the last few years, hasn't scored much in her opportunities, last goal for Canada was in Olympic qualifiers in '12 I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^^ Totally agree with the last two posts. In the forum for the Men's team we get three pages of posts for each of these individuals who used to be something, might some day be something or never have and never will be something for the CMNT. And over here not so much even for major tournaments. Strange indeed.  

Two points about Canada's victory over South Korea:

[1] South Korea omitted their star player Ji So-Yun ( Chelsea Ladies mid-fielder and FAWSL 1 Player of the Year) from their line up claiming that she had a "cold fever" AND THEN, by design, attempted to get a result through diving and increased physical play.

[2] According to tweets by Ann Odong of TheWomensGame website and tweets by the GirlsontheBall website, both of whom were there, the game was poorly officiated/over officiated. (11 cards in total) by the refs.  In particular, Fleming's second yellow was undeserved for something  that looked "innocuous". And Leon got a yellow for stepping off the field of play.

Two points about Canada's victory over South Korea:

[1] South Korea omitted their star player Ji So-Yun ( Chelsea Ladies mid-fielder and FAWSL 1 Player of the Year) from their line up claiming that she had a "cold fever" AND THEN, by design, attempted to get a result through diving and increased physical play.

[2] According to tweets by Ann Odong of TheWomensGame website and tweets by the GirlsontheBall website, both of whom were there, the game was poorly officiated/over officiated. (11 cards in total) by the refs.  In particular, Fleming's second yellow was undeserved for something  that looked "innocuous". And Leon got a yellow for stepping off the field of play.

Who were the stupid officials?

Who officiated the Canada - South Korea  Cyprus Cup game today ? I can't answer that. Neither the Cyprus Cup website nor the Cyprus Cup  twitter prints the names of  any of their officials. And those who live tweet the games fail to take note of the officials'  names as well. Even Canada Soccer's match report on their website didn't include the officials' names.  I just hope stupid officiating doesn't follow Canada all the way to the World Cup Tournament.

Sincy with another strike to give Canada the 1-0 win over South Korea.

With the amount of traffic these women's threads seem to be getting, you'd think the WWC was in China and we had not qualified.

This has been driving me crazy for a bit.  It is weird because the average Canadian who knows nothing about soccer knows about our women''s team (in reality, that means they know we won a bronze medal and we have a player named Sinclair), but they know nothing about our Men's team.  Here in the V's forums, there is remarkably little support for our women internationally, and almost no support for our Women professionally.  It is what it is, but disappointing here, considering how much more successful our women are. 

I haven't seen and highlights of the game yet, but I like Herdman's post match comments that the game was a great learning experience. It sounds like the Koreans did everything to disrupt the flow of play, but the ladies still put in a good overall team performance and got a win against a type of team they need to beat at the WC.

Sounds just like they pressed us and played hard and dictated the tempo and emotion.  Soccer can be a physical game.  People like the Icelandic, the Nigerians on their day, and even the Canadians 10-15 years ago would die for every ball on the field for 90 minutes.  Ironically we sound like the Americans every time we used to play them 10-15 years ago.  They hated playing us (and in particular #10) because we took no prisoners.

As the chips pile up on the result of a match, the seriousness and intensity does as well.  And nothing does that like the World Cup, especially in women's soccer.  People like the German midfielders will cut your throat and throw you aside like a ragdoll and never look back.  And if you don't have an answer for that it's already over.

According to Google Translate they had someone quite inexperienced:

Athletes: Kim Jung Mi, Suh, Hyun - Suk (around 43 Hye-ri Kim), Seo Yeon Shim, being the owner, josohyeon, empty dogma (after 33 Hee-yeong Park), Yeong-ah Yoo, Kwon sky, Yeo Min-Ji (after 18 Ŭn-sŏn Pak), god dam young, Lee Jung-Eun (after 6 Yeong-ju) 

20153711350(1).jpg

20153711350(2).jpg

20153711350(3).jpg

Pathetic.  Wish the referee abandoned the match to set an example of them.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/07/british-soldiers-abuse-england-women-australia

Agree.  Referees, young or old, must have the personality (read balls) to either eject nuisance spectators, cause their ejection, demand security staff intervention, suspend game until stands cleared or lastly abandon the game and file a report.

This has been driving me crazy for a bit.  It is weird because the average Canadian who knows nothing about soccer knows about our women''s team (in reality, that means they know we won a bronze medal and we have a player named Sinclair), but they know nothing about our Men's team.  Here in the V's forums, there is remarkably little support for our women internationally, and almost no support for our Women professionally.  It is what it is, but disappointing here, considering how much more successful our women are. 

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame.

But the Cyprus Cup is tough when you can neither watch nor listen to it.

That's they key thing for me. I watch the post game interviews and highlights but that's about it.

Archived