Cyprus Cup March 2-12, 2015

Guest ClaytonA

Is Kaylan Kyle injured or just out of favour?  Based on the Soccer Canada match tweets it didn't look like she got any playing time over the 3 games, and she wasn't even on the bench for the first match (not sure about the other games because they didn't tweet the bench).  It looks like Herdman used a 4-3-3 for all of the games. Without seeing match highlights it is hard to say but based on the Twitter line up it looked like Sinclair was in the mid field today.

The results in the Mediterranean mean little (2011) but between Cyprus and the Algarve, some high stakes poker going on.  And that ranges right from Even Pellerud who has his right against his chest to Jill Ellis who has hers flat on the table face up.

This is going to be absolutely sensational, something we will never forget in our lives.  The best part of going to a major tournament is the off-the-field stuff.  The tailgating, the beer gardens, the kickabouts, etc.  The games are almost secondary to the thrill of just being at the event.

Playing in Cyprus with no media coverage is the exact opposite of the heavy and slow mind you have when the expectations overwhelm you.  When you're not playing to win and are playing not to lose (Brazil 2014).  The Germans, the Japanese, the French, they're all great, but that right there and not them is the biggest obstacle we have to success.  Because it doesn't matter who you're playing, if you can't beat that when it comes' a' calling (and it 100% will), the result is already written.

re. Kayln Kyle

I think John Herdman is sending tough non-verbal messages to players in order to solicit strong performances from them on the pitch. For example, Carmelina Moscato was not allocated to the NWSL and in response she's had some strong center-back performances for Canada recently. By benching Kaylyn Kyle for most if not ALL of the Cyprus Cup, John Herdman is motivating Kyle to be really good when she's given her next start. Kyle's next start could be the first place game against England. Or it could be the upcoming friendly against France, which would be fitting -- Kyle scored a dramatic last minute game-tying goal against France two years ago. Over all it's a common coaching tool to keep players uncomfortable and worried about their place on a team in order to get the players giving their BEST performances on the pitch.

re. Kayln Kyle

I think John Herdman is sending tough non-verbal messages to players in order to solicit strong performances from them on the pitch. For example, Carmelina Moscato was not allocated to the NWSL and in response she's had some strong center-back performances for Canada recently. By benching Kaylyn Kyle for most if not ALL of the Cyprus Cup, John Herdman is motivating Kyle to be really good when she's given her next start. Kyle's next start could be the first place game against England. Or it could be the upcoming friendly against France, which would be fitting -- Kyle scored a dramatic last minute game-tying goal against France two years ago. Over all it's a common coaching tool to keep players uncomfortable and worried about their place on a team in order to get the players giving their BEST performances on the pitch.

I will be interested to see how this plays out.  I feel like if he is choosing not to play her it is because she isn't giving him what he wants on the field. The Boston Breakers traded her away to the Dash last season and at the time the coach said "She was interested in playing central midfield, she just wasn't all that interest in the defensive aspect of it,".  The dash elected to take Allysha Chapman this year rather than bring Kyle back.  

The FIFA story is interesting.  It would be kind of weird to put forward a player for a feature like that if she had fallen out of favour.  Yesterday she tweeted "1-0 CANADA, means onto the final!!!!!!!!!!! Great job ladies!!!!! #CANwnt so proud can't wait to be back out there!!!"

Could be a minor injury keeping her off the pitch.

CANWNT scoring from January to March 2015

Sinclair        5 goals  2 assists  = 12 points in 7 games played:              1.714      points per game

Beckie         1 goal   0 assists  = 2 points in 4 games played:                 0.50        points per game

Chapman    1 goal    1 assist    = 3 points in 7 games played :               0.4285    points per game

Fleming       1 goal    0 assists  = 2 points in 6 games played:                0.333      points per game

Belanger     0 goals  2 assists  = 2 points in 6 games played:                 0.333      points per game

Buchanan    1 goal   0 assists = 2 points in 7 games played:                  0.2857    points per game

Leon            1 goal   0 assists = 2 points in 7 games played:                  0.2857    points per game

Tancredi      0 goals  1 assist  = 1 point in 6 games played:                    0.1666    points per game

Scott            0 goals   1 assist = 1 point in 7 games played:                    0.1428    points per game

Schmidt       0 goals  0 assists in  6 games played:                                          0    points per game      

Wilkinson     0 goals  0 assists in 6  games played:                                          0    points per game

Filigno         0 goals  0 assists in 5  games played:                                          0    points per game

Kyle             0 goals  0 assists in 2  games played:                                          0    points per game

Julien           0 goals  0 assists in 2  games played:                                          0    points per game

Iachelli         0 goals  0 assists in 0 games played:                                           0    points per game

NOTES

[1]  Janine Beckie's points per game ratio looks promising but John Herdman is using her cautiously at this point-- she's not yet a regular player.

[2]  Allysha Chapman has probably  been Canada's second best player in 2015, after Sinclair.

[3]  Canada is missing Diana Matheson's productivity,  yet Belanger, Fleming and Scott have chipped in some points from the mid-field.

[4]  In general, Canada's forwards aren't giving Christine Sinclair enough scoring support. No productivity  from Julien and Filigno-- although Julien has only played about  17 minutes in total. Only modest scoring from Tancredi and Leon. While video clips seem to show that Tancredi is moving quicker in 2015 than she did in 2014, Tancredi has yet to regain her 2012 Olympic form ( In 2012 Tancredi had 8 goals, 5 assists = 21 points in 21 games played)

Statistics are random.  A player scores one goal and she's our second best player?

English FA:

"The irrepressible Sinclair was the focal point of Canada’s attacking play and she might have done better than head wide a cross from Adriana Leon, who replaced Melissa Tancredi midway through the first half.

The game’s only true moment of quality came on 67 minutes when Sanderson finished off a tidy England move."

Sounds like it was a hard fought final by both teams with little in the way of opportunities and they had someone get it done.  Interestingly it was by someone who quit the country because she didn't like Hope Powell.  In some countries that gets you blackballed.

Melissa Tancredi went out early in the match which does not sound good.

It's true,  stats don't tell the whole story, they're just a measurement in a point of time. At the moment, Canada has no second best player, just Christine Sinclair and then, the rest of the team who aren't scoring a lot. If this were 2012,  Melissa Tancredi would be second on the list and her numbers would be close Christine Sinclair's. That said, some of the young players like Beckie and Fleming showed some promise but they are still only modest producers at this point in time.  Beckie's numbers come from a small sample of four  games  and even her two appearances in the Cyprus Cup were really short minutes. In addition, it was surprise to me that Chapman was a bit high on the list so I felt that deserved a little bit of praise yet her numbers are  only modest as well.   Overall, John Herdman's stifling defence gives Canada a chance in the WWC but without more consistent secondary scoring the opponent need only shut down or limit Sinclair to get a result -- knowing full well that the rest of the Canadians can't score. To me,  this is the reason why Canada has lost it's last four matches to England including yesterday's first place game of the 2015  Cyprus Cup.

It's true,  stats don't tell the whole story, they're just a measurement in a point of time. At the moment, Canada has no second best player, just Christine Sinclair and then, the rest of the team who aren't scoring a lot. If this were 2012,  Melissa Tancredi would be second on the list and her numbers would be close Christine Sinclair's. That said, some of the young players like Beckie and Fleming showed some promise but they are still only modest producers at this point in time.  Beckie's numbers come from a small sample of four  games  and even her two appearances in the Cyprus Cup were really short minutes. In addition, it was surprise to me that Chapman was a bit high on the list so I felt that deserved a little bit of praise yet her numbers are  only modest as well.   Overall, John Herdman's stifling defence gives Canada a chance in the WWC but without more consistent secondary scoring the opponent need only shut down or limit Sinclair to get a result -- knowing full well that the rest of the Canadians can't score. To me,  this is the reason why Canada has lost it's last four matches to England including yesterday's first place game of the 2015  Cyprus Cup.

National team coaches have focussed on Sinclair, fearfull of giving other forwards time to play and to use a differing style. It is clear under Herdman, nothing has changed, play the ball to Sinclair and score against lesser foes, get into higher level competition and rely on Sinclair and a stifiling defence.

Loss of Matheson shows that this team has a leader who most do not want to recognize, and it is not Sinclair.

We are doomed for WWC this cycle based on our style of play and reliance on one ....aging player.

We've improved the past few years as has the world.  But at worst we're where we were in 2012 and that worked out okay.  

(Maybe the mushrooms in my soup were from BC but I just realized that "we're where we were" is four words using four letters all starting with the same letter and ending with the same letter)

If the team constantly finds players on the back post or free in the six, who pots it could be anyone.  There's been plenty of goals in the Algarve from defenders speculatively joining the attack unmarked or on scrambles after set pieces.  

That we score is imperative.  Who scores is irrelevent.  That we have good runs and ball movement in the final third is imperative.  If that happens how it ends up is simply the mental skills of players and the grace of God.  We kind of burned our grace of God card in London, so a result this time will have to come from the players.  It doesn't matter what your system or tactic or formation or role is, when you are out-matched you need to deliver everywhere on the field, not go gently into the good night.

I read this morning Melissa Tancredi had a possible broken nose which is uncomfortable for a while and is too bad, but it sure beats the knee.  Especially when our medals in London were to a large part her carrying us to a point where we could be successful.

Cyprus is the Algarve undercard, and the clear translation is right now we are not good enough individually or as a group.

The big fail for a host nation at a World Cup is to not make it out of the first round.  If we make it into the knock-out stages, I would say that we were moderately successful and can relax.  I don't expect us to get to the finals and win the cup.  If that's what being "good enough" is, then we are setting ourselves up for massive disappointment.  I think the organization is looking for a performance that will inspire the country (especially future players).  You can do that and still lose before reaching the semifinals, as long as you play positively and look like you belong there right up to the last minute.  For me, success is making it look like the CWNT is a wonderful place to be.

It's funny how commentary compares to actual game film.  Sinclair had a couple of nice stabs, the left foot unfortunately hit the keeper but was well taken.  And on the lead- up it was also a nice stop and go by Josée Bélanger on Alex Scott and left-footed cross too.  On the England goal their press made it up to be a Maradonna-ish feat when in reality it was just a defender completely zoned out.  Not unusual with young players in big games.

If we make it into the knock-out stages, I would say that we were moderately successful and can relax.

If we get out of group we're moderately successful?  We're the highest ranked team in our group with a history of beating them all.

don't expect us to get to the finals and win the cup.  If that's what being "good enough" is, then we are setting ourselves up for massive disappointment.

Everyone has different expectations but to me it's not about them, it's about what you want.  If you want to come in 20th great. If you want to come in 10th, same story.  Then we can pull out the pom-poms and tell them they've arrived.  But if you want to win it, which from my understanding is the goal and what they've been working towards for three years, then they'll all have to all find a way to elevate their performance.

Based only on that highlight video I say that our defenders and defending midfield need to run not jog and the goalkeeper need to stay in her line when the attacker is being pressured by two defenders.  Herdman's teachings ain't cutting it.

Yes when she was beat clean to net and Sanderson wasn't moving quickly, the defender was jogging and couldn't close the distance.  Buchanan would have been goalside in three steps which is from the heavens, we have a history of central defenders without a quick first couple steps of lateral mobility.  The blonde defender should be the one who steps up, not Buchanan who has cleanup pace.

It was a nice stepover by whoever on England let it go in the middle.  A match-winning piece of skill.

Archived