U20 Attendance numbers

Trillium

05/08/2014.....Toronto 14,834 ............sold Capicity 20,716 ....71 percent occupancy .......at National soccer Stadium, grass surface

05/08/2014.....Edmonton 10,001 ........sold Capicity 28,120 .....35 percent occupancy ......at Commonwealth Field, Artificial turf.

06/08/2014.....Moncton 3,587 ............sold Capicity ,7862 .......45 percent occupancy ......at Moncton Stadium, Artificial turf

05/08/2014.....Montreal 4,812 .............sold Capicity 32,792 .....14 percent occupancy ......at Big O, Artificial turf

Updated attendance for first round of games, LOC in Montreal must be questioning the choices to go in the Big O... the could have been in Claude Robillard.. with 9,500 hundred seats.

The crowds so far are in line with previous u20. Best avg attendance was in Germany at 12k. Opening match attendance for home team was 15-20k in Chile and Germany. It was 9k for opener in Japan. And Germany & Japan are women superpowers while Canada is at the aspirational stage.

So, 14k for Canada is solid. 10k for non-Canada is very good.

Tracking % occupancy is useless given they shouldn't be playing in large stadiums in Edmonton & Montreal. More of a reflection of lack of soccer-centric stadia infrastructure.

Feel free to do a % bums in seats vs metro area...to me occupancy rate reflects relative perception of attendees...packed stadiums more excitement... Empty or half filled stadia less atmosphere. U20 is a logistical and marketing warm up to WWC...playing in Commonwealth versus a smaller venue...playing in the Big O versus Saputo affect the fans game experience. If they sold out occupancy would not be relevant... Finals and semi's without Canada will hit attendance numbers.

Without the V's last night the stadium would have been like a Ghana home game.

The CSA should be giving the V's a mandate for Every Canada game in WWC next year and the tickets to have 2,000 people in Canada only supporters sections, led by CAPOS.

Tickets in Canada draw need to be bought by the CSA and sold by Voyageurs with every ticket you get a tee shirt that you wear in section.

The work to do this has to happen now not six weeks before the event.

I  was  at  the  game  last  night  in  Toronto   sat  in  113   and  had  a  good  time   14000    is  not  bad   considering   you   had  a  Jays  game  going   on    at  The  Rogers   Centre,   and  behind  the  The  BMO   you  had   Kings  Of  Leon   in  Concert  .

There's no way the match in Toronto got 14k... even half of that might be a stretch

It's "combined" attendance for both games in the doubleheader, so theoretically people could have showed up for the first match and not the second and counted towards the attendance total (but I doubt that actually happened).

From my viewpoint there were at least 10k in attendance for the Canada game. East and south stands were fairly full, plus another 1-2k in the west. Admittedly I couldn't see most of the lower west, but from pics I've seen I think 10k is an accurate assessment.

So, as noted previously the Edmonton attendance was announced as 10,101 at the game and I think that was pretty accurate despite the number looking a little too cute and maybe rounded up from 9K plus to hit that more impressive sounding 10K mark. Toronto was announced at nearly 15K but I have not been able to find any  announced attendance numbers for Montreal or Moncton for August 6th. I get the impression that Moncton might have had underwhelming numbers but not sure what they are.

Does anyone have the Montreal or Moncton numbers??

Edit: Never mind; I see now that Shootmaster has a number of 4800 for Montreal and of course I found what I was looking for right after I asked for help finding it.

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/attendances-fifa-u-20-womens-world-cup-canada-2014/

Montreal reported as 4,812 and Moncton reported as 3,587. Now I don't mean to criticize and I sure has heck don't want to start the petty regionalism that goes with the debates about where games should be played and where they are best supported but it seems underwhelming to me.

I thought the population of Montreal and having France play there would draw a few more than that. I also thought the novelty of having this international event and having England in the group would show a good bump in attendance for Moncton despite the small population and comparatively small stadium. 

When in doubt attendance numbers are usually accurate and found on the Wikipedia page for the tournament too.

But yes, I had thought France might have drawn bigger numbers in Montreal too. I mean the organizers can't even blame the Alouettes for drawing people away since they didn't play last night.

It comes down to the LOC's what competence and experience they have in marketing a game, and what viable connections they have to the soccer community.

The Montreal numbers reflect the likely arrogance of the LOC leadership, and the employment of folks who really do not know how to market anything let alone international soccer. Just to be clear, FIFA is not very skilled in doing a good job ether, they often do not get the local market when it comes to "lesser" events then the respective World Cups. It is easy to sell out the Men's World Cup, as it should be to sell out the Women's for u20 women a better effort needs to be made.

I doubt there is 20 posters up in ether Moncton or Montreal promoting the games.

In Montreal your up against the Rogers Cup for women.... with world stars...where do you go to the Big O to see unknown players or to the Tennis to see Eugenie et al... I am pretty damn sure the dates for Rogers Cup were well known when Montreal was selected as  host for U20...so the working of media and other marketing avenues needed to address the sport competition in town for the first week.

After a slow start attendance wise will it pick up ?

Depends on the plan and what is ready to be promoted.

Honestly, in Montreal I've heard so little of the under 20 WC that I'm surprised there has already been a game.  Also, no mention at the TFC-Impact game last week so far as I saw, though there may have been a small stand in the stadium.

To be fair - it's hard to do effective marketing on a shoestring budget.  I think I saw a few TV ads during Brazil WC, but not enough to get any attention.  And media has been zero.  Noel Butler had Olivieri on for 10 minutes, but little else on TSN.

I find sports to be so controlled by their mediums.  TSN hardly talks about Rogers Cup or baseball, and vice versa.  CBC doesn't really hold much at all, though it did well in the WC. 

Right now - TSN radio has mostly CFL and some baseball. Then lots of football and basketball and still lots of hockey.  No one wants to push anything that the others are covering.  It leaves these events like U-20s in the lurch.

Are you saying CBC radio French and English in Montreal have no reach?

Are you saying CBC morning and drive radio won't put a player on for an interview?

Canada players can be on CBC Quebec English and French radio next Monday before the Tuesday game, telling folks they need support and to come out.

Playing at the Big O is punishment for fans like me. I am a season ticket holder for the Impact so I know how much it hurts as they open the season there every year.  It's painful to be so far away from the action and to beinside. Yes when there is 50 000 fans in there the ambiance is enjoyable.

Are you saying CBC radio French and English in Montreal have no reach?

Are you saying CBC morning and drive radio won't put a player on for an interview?

Canada players can be on CBC Quebec English and French radio next Monday before the Tuesday game, telling folks they need support and to come out.

I will be listening to CBC tomorrow for mention of it.  Can't imagine it wouldn't get any attention.  But we're now talking about walk-up crowd and not advanced sales.

Let's hope.  I'm taking family there on Tuesday.

Archived