Players Retain Legal Counsel in Fight Against Artificial Turf at 2015 Women’s World Cup

WOW - nicely done ladies.

Would be good to get more women on board...and then the Canadian girls....(who are clearly being told to tow the line)!  Trouble is brewing in FIFA land - Poor Sepp may have to pony up a few bucks to lay down some real grass.  FIFA really is a friggin joke. 

I'd love this to blow up for real.  Would be terrific publicity for the tournament if some full teams threatened to no-show.  And not because I love Wambach (not sure anyone does), but because the cause is so just and because FIFA is so emblematic of the Axis of Evil.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To have any success there would have to be proof that both:
[a] the federations of Costa Rica and France threatened reprisal on players.
FIFA instructed the federations to deliver the reprisals.

Otherwise the issue is with foreign organizations beyond the control of the CSA and FIFA, which the Ontario Tribunal has no jurisdiction over.

Next.

And getting more women on board, including the Canadian women (not girls), would be good why?? Terrific publicity? Get serious. :rolleyes:

FIFA being as corrupt as it is does not make these players or the actions they are taking right. Two separate issues IMHO.

Laying down grass on top of turf, making a dangerous and unplayable surface, would be the real "friggin" joke.  

Shakes head, mutters, walks away............ 

Would be good to get more women on board...and then the Canadian girls....(who are clearly being told to tow the line)!  What evidence do you have that anybody is being told to toe any line?

Trouble is brewing in FIFA land - Poor Sepp may have to pony up a few bucks to lay down some real grass.  FIFA really is a friggin joke. All credible opinions that I've read suggest that the women don't have a legal leg to stand on. What makes you so certain that this issue has caused anybody at FIFA to lose a second of sleep over it?

I'd love this to blow up for real.  Would be terrific publicity for the tournament if some full teams threatened to no-show.  And not because I love Wambach (not sure anyone does), but because the cause is so just and because FIFA is so emblematic of the Axis of Evil. I am amused that you think that empty threats of boycott will be a positive for the event. All the same, since the women have already stated that they'll play on synthetic turf should they lose their ridiculous case, we'll never probably never know.

You are making the simplistic leap in logic that since FIFA is a contemptible organisation that the women's case has some merit. The fact of the matter is that the case has no merit and is relying on the general antipathy towards FIFA and outdated opinions regarding synthetic pitches to drum up sympathy in the hope that public pressure will force FIFA to act. Obviously, the lawyers and players have no idea with whom they are dealing.

To have any success there would have to be proof that both:

[a] the federations of Costa Rica and France threatened reprisal on players.

FIFA instructed the federations to deliver the reprisals.

Otherwise the issue is with foreign organizations beyond the control of the CSA and FIFA, which the Ontario Tribunal has no jurisdiction over.

Next.

After loosely following that mess in Alberta, isn't there a provision under FIFA rules that is incorporated into the rules of local member associations (such as the CSA, ASA, BC Soccer, etc.) that states that members and players are prohibited from taking legal action against FIFA / local association, which provision carries a penalty of suspension or explusion? Would pointing to the existence of this provision and its potential consequences amount to a threatened reprisal?

You are making the simplistic leap in logic that since FIFA is a contemptible organisation that the women's case has some merit. The fact of the matter is that the case has no merit and is relying on the general antipathy towards FIFA and outdated opinions regarding synthetic pitches to drum up sympathy in the hope that public pressure will force FIFA to act. Obviously, the lawyers and players have no idea with whom they are dealing.

Well, it's pretty clear that the CSA has the women on pretty clear communication messaging with regards to turf.  Any organization worth its salt better have that at the very least.  So they speak of the advantage to Canada in terms of prep etc.  Good for them.  I think it will likely be an advantage for the team.  As for FIFA, they are always concerned over controvery - why wouldn't they be?  Sponsors can be fickle, and swayed by public opinion, even if there are no legal merits, who wants negative PR.  The PR battle is always one for hearts over minds.  No different over Qatar, Russia or anywhere else.  At the same time, controvery breeds free publicity, which means that more Canadians are aware of the WWC than would otherwise be the case.  If nothing else, articles in the NYTimes on the matter raise public perceptions about women's soccer and equality issues.  

I think one thing that we can disagree on is whether the women know with whom they are dealing.  I think they know exactly what they're dealing with, and are fighting the only battle they can - one in the public sphere.  And it does require us to make the leap of logic which you suggest. In fact, it relies on it.  As for the outdated opinions on turf, I'm not sure what is outdated.  I think everyone on this forum has pretty advanced views on the merits and drawbacks of turf, and that it remains very much current - both in this WWC as well as in major leagues around the world.  If the girls want to be treated to grass grown on turf like Real Madrid and countless other teams in recent years,  why not spend a bit of money and give it to them, and let the chips fall where they may. 

Nice, picture of Wambach and a picture of Leroux.  What a great honourable Canadian writer.  And interviews with a women's rights lawyer and Serwetnyk.  Quality selection.  I went to Cape Town too.  They haven't hosted a Women's World Cup and unfortunately that's what's lost here and people can't grasp.  When I read pieces like this the first thing in my head is I really hope they don't cancel the tournament, because if it takes that for these naive people to grasp the situation that's really a shame for all Canadian women.

Seems everybody is an expert and knows what's best except the people running and hosting the tournament.

I've never felt as sorry for the CSA.  You do something for the women and girls of the country and instead of receiving thanks people kick you in the crotch.

re: the image

#1 - wear proper shinguards

#2 - stop playing like a frickin dork

Abby Wambach and friends argue that cringeworthy photos of turf burns constitute proof that Canadian WWC turf pitches are dangerous, inferior and should be changed to grass. What's interesting here is that these photographed turf burns occurred on American NWSL turf pitches and at NO TIME did Abby Wambach and friends argue that American NWSL turf pitches are dangerous, inferior and should be changed to grass. If an employer creates a dangerous work environment then an employee should make an immediate formal complaint with the employer about the danger. Sydney Leroux gripes about turf burns on twitter ( with an included photo ) but failed to make an immediate formal complaint about dangerous,  inferior turf pitches with her NWSL club and the National Womens Soccer  League. In addition, when the 2015 Women's World Cup is over, it is very likely that Abby Wambach and friends will return to playing club soccer  on dangerous, inferior NWSL turf pitches without ANY complaint. In other words, Canadian turf pitches are considered dangerous and inferior but the EXACT SAME turf pitches in America are not considered dangerous and inferior. Such a double standard weakens the players'  argument.

In other words, Canadian turf pitches are considered dangerous and inferior but the EXACT SAME turf pitches in America are not considered dangerous and inferior. Such a double standard weakens the players' argument.

I read somewhere that the picture of Leroux's legs was taken after a game on an artificial pitch that is known to be very poor, much poorer than the ones that will be used for the WWC. I'm afraid I can't remember which field so I have nothing to substantiate it. If it's a true assertion, then the NWSL players will in some cases be going back to play on surfaces that are worse than those used for WWC.

Guest ClaytonA

This photo of the second hypocrite/glory seeker (and yes I do think the WWC should be on grass, but at this late a date...) has been around the internet for several months.  It is from the first game she played in Boston, on old style turf; i.e. this is not representative of the artificial surface used in this tournament even the supposedly terrible surface at BC Place that gets boat shows and other convention heavy objects put on top of it.  I think we can all agree the bounce is different,  that with the wrong type of cleats turf can make you more susceptible to soft tissue injuries, and the smell of grass is much more aesthetic than rubber, & etc.  These are not the exact same turf pitches.

This photo however, is apples and oranges - exageration and immoral levels of rhetoric designed to mislead the general public (that is more accurately lying, but then she's never done that now has she - say about chants from fans...).  It is like saving cars are bad, gas guzzling, montrosities that kill hundred of people a year, and only rich people drive them and showing a picture of a Porsche or Ferrari as proof, completely ignoring that most people drive a Toyota or a Honda.

Guest ClaytonA

I read somewhere that the picture of Leroux's legs was taken after a game on an artificial pitch that is known to be very poor, much poorer than the ones that will be used for the WWC. I'm afraid I can't remember which field so I have nothing to substantiate it. If it's a true assertion, then the NWSL players will in some cases be going back to play on surfaces that are worse than those used for WWC.

Dilboy Stadium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilboy_Stadium

The bigger part is her "game" is running as fast as she can and trying to knock everyone down.

If you are referring to Sydney Leroux, I eat crow after Ian Bridge and Even Pellerud didn't think she was good enough for Canada.  I wonder what these two think now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived