2014 Montreal Impact: Behind the 8 ball

jpg75

Edgar can only do so much. They need creative players who can create and score.

Agreed, I think we can all agree that they need more then one new player. Edgar would be my choice of CB, I think he could solve some of their defensive issues. As far as higher up the pitch, I don't think DP spot should be used on a player like Bernardello. You can shop around MLS for a player that plays his role at a regular salary. 

I would think Edgar would be a solid choice for the defensive woes. Would he want to though? I doubt it.

As for up front, when was the last time a Canadian striker played regular minutes in a high calibre league? There weren't any this year...

Well if you're counting MLS as high caliber, Rob Friend is getting regular minutes for LA right now, but I would love to see Sim Jackson or Occean come to MLS.

Jackson or Occean would both be good choices.  They haven't been as effective in Europe as they were in years past but just look at other successful MLS strikers that never did ANYTHING in Europe and are considered MLS stars (Kenny Cooper and Eddie Johnson come to mind).  Also factor in that Occean would be coming home to play and I think you're looking at a great, motivated signing.

Agreed, I think we can all agree that they need more then one new player. Edgar would be my choice of CB, I think he could solve some of their defensive issues. As far as higher up the pitch, I don't think DP spot should be used on a player like Bernardello. You can shop around MLS for a player that plays his role at a regular salary. 

The role of DM are increasingly become more important to the way a team plays in MLS, especially a DM who can make that first pass out of the back consistently. I think guys like Chara, Alonso, Laba are worth the DP label. The problem with Bernadello is that he hasn't been good enough.

The role of DM are increasingly become more important to the way a team plays in MLS, especially a DM who can make that first pass out of the back consistently. I think guys like Chara, Alonso, Laba are worth the DP label. The problem with Bernadello is that he hasn't been good enough.

I agree the role is very important, but I just believe you don't need to use a DP spot on the position. Guys like Kyle Beckerman and Will Johnson can play the role well enough. Laba and Chara aren't real DP's by the way, Chara originally signed as a DP in 2011 but now makes around half of what Will Johnson is paid and doesn't carry a DP tag, Laba only carries a DP tag because of his large transfer fee (stupid rule IMO) and is actually also paid less then WJ. 

I agree the role is very important, but I just believe you don't need to use a DP spot on the position. Guys like Kyle Beckerman and Will Johnson can play the role well enough. Laba and Chara aren't real DP's by the way, Chara originally signed as a DP in 2011 but now makes around half of what Will Johnson is paid and doesn't carry a DP tag, Laba only carries a DP tag because of his large transfer fee (stupid rule IMO) and is actually also paid less then WJ. 

DPs are DPs due to the cost (wages + transfer fee) to the team. transfer fees are added to DP thing due to parity

Beckerman has been one of most underrated DM ever, and he should get DP salary. WJ would make a terrible DM because I don't think his positioning is good enough. He wins balls due to his stamina chasing down players. Either case, all the non DP top DMs make near DP money anyways. Kinda feels like you're saying you can get a 20 goal striker in MLS without having to pay DP salary (and you can) ;)

DPs are DPs due to the cost (wages + transfer fee) to the team. transfer fees are added to DP thing due to parity

Beckerman has been one of most underrated DM ever, and he should get DP salary. WJ would make a terrible DM because I don't think his positioning is good enough. He wins balls due to his stamina chasing down players. Either case, all the non DP top DMs make near DP money anyways. Kinda feels like you're saying you can get a 20 goal striker in MLS without having to pay DP salary (and you can) ;)

All I'm trying to say is that I believe in MLS with the current limit of 3 DPs, your DPs are more valuable on other parts of the field. I would rather use my DP spot to gain quality in the attacking and creating area then in the hard working defensive area. I think it is easier to find role players (good quality MLSers) that fit the DM mold for a cheaper salary then it is to find a good creative attacking player in MLS. I understand that there is a drop in quality between DP Dmids and non-DP Dmids, but the way MLS is set up there is always weaknesses in teams, you just need to decide where you want that weakness. I would rather have my creative players as DPs that are more likely to consistently deliver, and try to fill in with MLS level guys behind them.

Blake Smith did look promising last year coming on as a sub. However, this year he has been disappointing including when he started the first game against FCE.

I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with having a DM as a DP but the DM needs to be a dominant player just like DPs in other positions. Bernardello is a guy who has played at a high level as a role player just like JDG before him. Unfortunately he is an average to mostly below average MLS DM. When teams have incompetent people judging talent like TFC did for so many years and like the Impact with De Santis they make signings like JDG and Bernardello as DPs. Surround JDG or Bernardello with a lot of superior players and they can play a role but they are not guys who are game changing or dominant players on their own which is what they should be if they are DPs. The last coach the Impact had who was making player signing decisions was Marsh and since he left we have not had one single good player signing or move other than the McInnerney trade for Wenger which was a no brainer (but I guess I have to give NDS grudgingly credit for that if I am going to criticize him for all the other fails in the last few years).

Bernier is a good player but is starting to slow and is not as dominant as he used to be. However, the last few games I have been watching carefully how he controls the ball and comparing it to Bernardello and Gonzalez (our 2nd division Uruguay/cup of coffee in Uruguyan 1st division signing). It is incredible how superior Bernier's ball control is compared to either Berandello and Gonzalez which any competent talent scout, ie. not De Santis, should see immediately. When your South American players including a DP have worse technical skills then your Canadians you have big problems. Maybe if we get a generation of Boakais that will not be the case but right now if you are going to sign South Americans and especially as DPs they need to be of a higher caliber than your Canadian and American players and that is simply not the case with the Impact. De Santis is truly clueless.

Blake Smith did look promising last year coming on as a sub. However, this year he has been disappointing including when he started the first game against FCE.

I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with having a DM as a DP but the DM needs to be a dominant player just like DPs in other positions. Bernardello is a guy who has played at a high level as a role player just like JDG before him. Unfortunately he is an average to mostly below average MLS DM. When teams have incompetent people judging talent like TFC did for so many years and like the Impact with De Santis they make signings like JDG and Bernardello as DPs. Surround JDG or Bernardello with a lot of superior players and they can play a role but they are not guys who are game changing or dominant players on their own which is what they should be if they are DPs. 

I think your assessment regarding JDG situation is spot on (have seen Bernardello very little, so can't comment on him).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived