2014 MLS Combine

nolando

Off the field, Colorado School of Mines coach Frank Kohlenstein says he has tried to bring Akindele to the attention of the Canadian Soccer Association.

Geez where does the guy get off thinking he can bring players to the attention of the CSA, I mean seriously he is only a division two coach, its not like he has the background of the coaches at the CSA.

Tesho's stock climbed today:

Tesho Akindele (Colorado School of Mines) – A relative unknown from an equally unknown school, he’s garnered plenty of attention for his size and athleticism, and plenty more for his ability to take a touch and create immediate separation. He’s still raw, but the goods are there for a team that wants to see him develop for a year or two in USL PRO. (Range: Late second round)

He's featured early in the video highlights. By the descriptions he is sounding more and more like Occean v. 2.0

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/01/12/2014-mls-player-combine-stock-watch-patrick-mullins-shows-why-hes-colleges-p

I found these tweets from SBI interesting:

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 25m

No games @ MLS Combine today, but teams still working. I'm told teams w/top 3 picks in draft are at Canada MNT practice watching Cyle Larin

So yes, there's still some chance MLS signs Cyle Larin, who based on my talks w/coaches+Gms would be a sure-fire Top Two pick if he signed.

I found these tweets from SBI interesting:

No games @ MLS Combine today, but teams still working. I'm told teams w/top 3 picks in draft are at Canada MNT practice watching Cyle Larin

So yes, there's still some chance MLS signs Cyle Larin, who based on my talks w/coaches+Gms would be a sure-fire Top Two pick if he signed.

If the Caps can't get Larin, will they get Blake or make an early stab at Pridham? What do you figure?

Tesho had an off day today (Day 3):

He admitted after the match that it was his worst performance of a break-out showing at the Combine. Didn't show the same explosive pace and wasn't much of a threat going forward save for one near goal. Heavy legs may be to blame. It doesn't erase what he did in the first two matches, however. (Range: Mid- to late first round)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2014/news/article/2014/01/14/2014-mls-player-combine-stock-watch-brazilian-pedro-ribeiro-provides-highlig

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/01/14/highlights-predator-vs-adizero-mls-combine

I wonder if Montreal will try and grab this guy in the first round. Still short on Canadians and strikers.

I don't think Pridham or Zadro have been mentioned much one way or the other.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/01/15/march-match-podcast-picking-superdraft-sleepers-why-toronto-fc-still-have-bi

Some more draft talk. These guys say that Tesho has been interviewed by seven clubs and can play winger in addition to striker. Has a decent first touch, too (Yes, I'm looking at you, Erik Hurtado). Reminds more of T. Bunbury now than Occean.

I am new to this whole college draft buzz but am I understanding it correctly that Larin could still sign with MLS in the next 12 hours and then presumably go top 3 in the morning? Bizarro, if you ask me. I'm still hoping for him to go to VWFC at #3.

If not Larin, there has been a lot of talk about Ribeiro. Huge guy. Takes an international spot (Brazilian). Sounds crazy, probably, but I'd be tempted to take him instead of the CBs (or keeper Andre Blake - call me Jamaican-shy) available at #3 if Larin is not available:

He can play multiple positions – he can play anywhere on the field, even left back ... Whoever picks him needs to draft him as just a good, all-around player … He could start for an MLS team right now, almost wherever they want to play him ... Good on the ball, very good defender – reads the game well … Willing to do what it takes to win … He went through a growth spurt the past few years, grew six inches during college and now it's a matter of his body catching up … Needs to build his speed, strength and fitness in the right environment but he's surely athletic enough to play in MLS or overseas … He's 6-foot-4 and moves well for big guy ... All left-footed and it's a nice left foot ... They played him where they can find mismatch ... Best position is probably center mid. He can be holding mid in front of the back four and can ping it around.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/pedro-ribeiro

And then Miller at #7 for me. 21 y/o today. Was apparently pretty good at LB during the Combine. Followed by Pridham at #30.

It's hard to know. Some of these guys are comparatively so old. Ribeiro is 24 in June, a full 4 1/2 years older than Manneh, for instance.

Why is it, that so many teams chosse a defender in the early part of the draft? Is it because defenders offer more security that they might contribute in MLS? Is it an age thing? Is it because defenders are easier to rate then attackers?

this draft is considered pretty low on talent level, and defenders were the best of the crop. and in MLS, defenders generally translate into success more than attackers.

That makes sense Yohan.

Still it makes you wonder, hearing everybody talk about how athletic this and this kids is, do they only look at size in North America? I know it's a physical league, but it will always be just that unless someone starts developing more technically skilled players. Somehow you can't seem to find them in the colleges.

That makes sense Yohan.

Still it makes you wonder, hearing everybody talk about how athletic this and this kids is, do they only look at size in North America? I know it's a physical league, but it will always be just that unless someone starts developing more technically skilled players. Somehow you can't seem to find them in the colleges.

lol. one of things they do at the Combine is rate a player's physical attributes, IE sprint time, vertical jump, etc.

NCAA system is mostly broken, and with HG program, the more talented ones are going pro after high school, and ones that go to NCAA are likely not be as good. still, lots of kids in NCAA and little training is better than no training at all, and there may still be diamond in the rough somewhere. the next year's draft is supposedly better, so we'll see (and TFC sitting on 4 1st rd picks)

Archived