Becks looking Miami

NASL has Ft Lauderdale. Jacksonville wants to be a part of the NASL as well. And Beckham/Miami keeps resurfacing. I mean, Jacksonville is a long drive from the other 2 locations, but as Finchster says, I find it difficult to believe a Florida sports market could support all 3.

Not to mention that Orlando is clearly on MLS's mind as team 21, as soon as they can get their stadium situation sorted out (the mayor has even said that if a stadium is approved soon, MLS will offer them a franchise this year).

Then again, given MLS's delusional ideas about the impact of two NYC teams, and their perpetual hard-on for Beckham, maybe they'd also go for this ridiculous, doomed-to-fail Becks experiment in Miami too, as a "natural rival" for OCSC.

I wonder if Orlando could become the new Rochester: well supported lower division team with the dream of joining MLS. The dream eventually dies and the support dwindles.

I can't see MLS adding 2 Florida teams in short time. Its Miami or Orlando (but not both, and it could still be neither).

I wonder if Orlando could become the new Rochester: well supported lower division team with the dream of joining MLS. The dream eventually dies and the support dwindles.

I can't see MLS adding 2 Florida teams in short time. Its Miami or Orlando (but not both, and it could still be neither).

Huge difference in the ownership group. Deeper pockets in Orlando then Rochester.

• 1 year later...

Posing this question, hoping someone with a little more insight can provide an answer.

How legitimate is this Miami expansion? It is realistic for it to be achieved by...2022 I believe? My question really is based on who exactly is taking the reigns on this expansion, who are the ownership groups involved? I doubt that Becks is running this full time, and I believe someone connected to Sprint in KC is involved, but Miami isn't his home. I recently listed to a Best Soccer Show discussion over the matter, mentioned that the mayor of Miami hasn't been in contact with anyone regarding the matter for sometime. In comparison, Sacramento has a lot more legitimate support, with 2 groups and the city backing the bid. Atlanta has the Falcons owner on board, NYCFC had the Yankees and ManCity backing them. What does Miami have? Is it simply a "great idea" that's running on smoke and mirrors at this point?

Archived