Quebec Soccer Federation says "No" to turbans when the CSA says "Yes".

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the reaction within Quebec? Any more thoughtful indept responses in favour of the ban coming out in the Quebec media? At some point I don't think the weight of English-speaking Canada is going to be helpful achieving the result we want: the reversal of this decision.

What is the reaction within Quebec? Any more thoughtful indept responses in favour of the ban coming out in the Quebec media? At some point I don't think the weight of English-speaking Canada is going to be helpful achieving the result we want: the reversal of this decision.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks; it's what CSA and FIFA thinks on this issue that matters the most!

So far from what we have heard is that they're not against turbans. Plus, QSF doesn't have authority to ban turbans (only CSA does). So Quebec has tomorrow to get rid of ban or else face serious consequence from CSA (through FIFA).

The issue has illicited more of the common political responses we've seen, with little real debate. However, columnists fro La Presse have been very vocal against the QSF stance. I don't have the links handy...

The Quebec Sports Minister said through her spokeperson that “We have confidence that the QSF is making the best decision to assure the security of the players,” They also say that they won't intervene.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/City+councillors+present+emergency+motion+turban/8484222/story.html#ixzz2VlRcN25B

It doesn't matter because CSA has the power sanction QSF which is going to hurt Quebec soccer. Also, I am surprised Quebec Sikh community hasn't taken QSF to court for discrimination like they did with kirpan issue when Quebec wanted to ban them (which Sikh won the battle in court).

BTW: what's up getting rid of Italian words off an Italian menu ? Quebec is becoming the laughing stock of Canada.

It doesn't matter because CSA has the power sanction QSF which is going to hurt Quebec soccer. Also, I am surprised Quebec Sikh community hasn't taken QSF to court for discrimination like they did with kirpan issue when Quebec wanted to ban them (which Sikh won the battle in court).

BTW: what's up getting rid of Italian words off an Italian menu ? Quebec is becoming the laughing stock of Canada.

They would have to go to something else, but the only people who can really do something here is the CSA.

Oh and please, the Italian thing happens because there are people in Quebec who'll go lengths to the OQLF so that everything is in one language, the language of the province.

The Quebec Sports Minister said through her spokeperson that “We have confidence that the QSF is making the best decision to assure the security of the players,” They also say that they won't intervene.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/City+councillors+present+emergency+motion+turban/8484222/story.html#ixzz2VlRcN25B

Malavoy first entered politics in 1994 and was elected in the riding of Sherbrooke where she was briefly the Minister of Culture and Communications in the Jacques Parizeau cabinet. She had to step down from her position November 25, 1994, as it was found that she had illegally voted during the Quebec Referendum in 1980 as well as other federal and provincial elections since she was not a Canadian citizen at the time.

They would have to go to something else, but the only people who can really do something here is the CSA.

Oh and please, the Italian thing happens because there are people in Quebec who'll go lengths to the OQLF so that everything is in one language, the language of the province.

No offensive, but this just shows how insecure French Canadians are when comes to their own identity (also shows how weak their identity is) that they need to go to great lengths to protect their "language" and "culture". This way of thinking is going to kill Quebec in today's globalized world (English being universe language to communicate and do business with) and multicultural/modern Canada we live in now.

I feel sorry for average joe in Quebec who has to deal with such embarrassing leadership and laws which is making them the laughing stock of Canada and now rest of the world.

D1 (MLS) & D2 soccer is administered by the CSA, so the suspension should not affect the Impact. But, if your kid is scheduled to play a tournament out of province this weekend, you better check again.

Thanks.

So it pretty much semi-pro and house leagues are affected by this suspension.

Thanks.

So it pretty much semi-pro and house leagues are affected by this suspension.

The OSA will need to call the Ottawa Carleton Soccer League to ensure none of the Quebec based teams who register with the Quebec Soccer Federation take part in any games in the league as long as the QSF and its clubs and teams are suspended from the FIFA family.

It will interesting to see of the League follows directions.

It seems like QSF really have messed up now (their bluff got called) and now they have isolated themselves from everybody. They're getting attacked by CSA, federal government, media, montreal city hall and sikh religion groups. I think QSF is going to lift the ban ASAP or try to fight it off in the courts (which they will lose).

Too bad FIFA doesn't just step in already and take care of this issue. I guess they're working in background with CSA?

FIFA might be slightly annoyed at this 'issue' cropping up in Canada and if the CSA cannot control its affiliated underlings there might be MORE trouble for the CSA. FIFA really dislikes the involvement of state court systems in its sport, for reasons not related to justice and fairness. Ironically in Quebec civil code legal system, the CSA's code would be supreme no matter what tradition might have to say about the issue. And the CSA is authority according to FIFA for the sport in Canada. I hope the underlings FINALLY get the point that being little independent fiefdoms that once and a while get together at the CSA to keep their fiefdoms independent as possible has been DESTROYING Canadian soccer and that they need to work TOGETHER to ensure that ALL our kids get an opportunity to play quality soccer ACROSS this country.

I'm enjoying everyone having skin in the game on this.

We'll get to see how the whole corporate governance process "works". My guess is we'll find out not much has changed and it's backwards as ever.

LOL! Amen, brother.

I'm not as cynical as you but I think domestic politics is going to definitively have an exaggerated influences on this issue.

I also think this can only end one way, eventually. But the getting there might take some pretty awkward not to mention UGLY dancing.

Here are the consequences of the Quebec Soccer Associations suspension by the Canadian Soccer Association for failing to adhere to the directives of the CSA and FIFA regarding allowing Sikh players to wear a turban during play. Luckily the Impact are not affected much by this. Hopefully the main consequence will be the firing of the QSF's Board of Idiots and Bigots and Sikh kids being allowed to play soccer in Quebec like anyone else. The info is taken from the following article: http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?4638&postid=440889#comments_440889

First, and the CSA did confirm this, this ruling has no impact on the Montreal Impact. They are members of the CSA directly and as such nothing that impacts the province will impact them. Additionally, and this part was not confirmed by the CSA, there are some minor support service issues that QSF occassionally provides to the Impact that could temporarily derail certain game operations but the effect is expected to be minor.

Second, none of the Quebec provincial all-star teams are allowed to compete out of the province. And any other province will be forbidden from playing QSF teams.

Third, if the suspension went on that long, the youth clubs would be forbidden in participating in the national championships this summer.

Fourth, any nationally sanctioned referees are forbidden from calling any games in Quebec. This is the one that could have the most effect and a large number of youth games are immediately in jeoprady - unless referees are willing to go rogue. In the past, refs have faced fines for going against the wishes of the governing body. And any games that were scheduled to be reffed by a CSA badged official are immediately suspended.

Fifth, CSN has learned that Quebec Soccer will meet tomorrow evening to discuss their next step and decide if they're going to continue with the ban on turbans or bend to the will of the CSA.

LOL! Amen, brother.

I'm not as cynical as you but I think domestic politics is going to definitively have an exaggerated influences on this issue.

I also think this can only end one way, eventually. But the getting there might take some pretty awkward not to mention UGLY dancing.

Agreed. There are still some things that are being tip-toed around so far or haven't come to the forefront.

1) Despite how unpopular this decision is in the public as a whole, is it actually popular in Quebec? Not talking about this from a morality POV or what's right, but simply what their membership wants. If the membership actually wants this and digs in behind the QSF, look out.

2) Transfer of player registration fees. How badly does the CSA need that money, how much power does the QSF have to withhold it? Does it embolden other provinces to start using it as a negotiating ploy which causes more problems for the CSA down the road? Probably not answers the CSA wants to find out or have other provinces see.

To me it all points out the fact that the reform package falls well short. There shouldn't be any provincial associations at all. They should all be provincial branches of the national association. The current system is just too distorted.

Archived