Quebec Soccer Federation says "No" to turbans when the CSA says "Yes".

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you check their annual report – from the QSF web site – you’ll find two pie charts showing revenue and expenses.

Revenue – Protocole ACS – 1 552 123 $ (25,0%)

Expenses – Protocole ACS – 1 548 548 $ (25,5%)

$1.5 million seems about right for what the QSF would pay the CSA. OSA – with about twice the number of players – pays the CSA about $3.1 million.

I suspect that the QSF shows what they collect on behalf of the CSA as (roughly) off-setting amounts on both the revenue and expense sides. Someone with a better understanding of French may be able to take a look at these pie charts and explain further.

I am trying to find their annual report on their site. Where did you go on their site to find it?

Based on comments made on various sites and blogs including CSN.

If any true TFC supporter is going to cause trouble for visiting Impact supporters solely because of the QSF's stand deserves a proverbial kick in the head. This has nothing to do with the Impact.

http://canadasoccer.com/canadian-soccer-association-details-quebec-soccer-federation-suspension-p154188

So, yes, the Women's World Cup is in jeopardy in Montreal. For that matter, the Haiti games are at risk.

That is if the QSF is the host or in any way shape or form would necessarily participate in the hosting. The QSF is suspended from organizing/hosting inter-provincial and international tournaments. In the eyes of FIFA, Canada = CSA. So if the CSA suspends an affiliate -for acceptable reasons according to their statues and FIFA- then the CSA is still the recognized authority in the territory of Canada. Its been the CSA's decision that they continued with being a representative federation of provincial entities internally but honestly FIFA doesn't care. So the big question is not whether the CSA could continue to host in Montreal but if Montreal would allow the CSA to organize the tournament knowing that they have suspended the QSF and setup another provincial organization to handle the sport. I cannot see the CSA being able to directly control the operations of soccer in Quebec given the political optics.

If you check their annual report – from the QSF web site – you’ll find two pie charts showing revenue and expenses.

Revenue – Protocole ACS – 1 552 123 $ (25,0%)

Expenses – Protocole ACS – 1 548 548 $ (25,5%)

$1.5 million seems about right for what the QSF would pay the CSA. OSA – with about twice the number of players – pays the CSA about $3.1 million.

I suspect that the QSF shows what they collect on behalf of the CSA as (roughly) off-setting amounts on both the revenue and expense sides. Someone with a better understanding of French may be able to take a look at these pie charts and explain further.

The Revenue is the per player collection from clubs that is assigned to pay CSA, but with the move to block funding the actual charge to the QSF is not in exact balance as the QSF increases its membership revenue goes up but the outflow payment to CSA remains at the block amount.

It would be the same regime in Ontario with the OSA no doubt, the province collects per head, then pays CSA a block amount.

I am pretty sure the Gazette writer has gotten it wrong and TFC07 is basing his statements on a mis-understanding.

I was first thinking why this is necessary to even enforce. Not as if we have a large turban population involved in soccer, so I thought who cares, let them wear it. Than I google the Indian, Pakistan, turkey and Saudi Arabia national soccer teams. Not one of the players is wearing head gear. You can all check it out. Now I still think they should let kids wear them. But I say no to the CMNT.

I was first thinking why this is necessary to even enforce. Not as if we have a large turban population involved in soccer, so I thought who cares, let them wear it. Than I google the Indian, Pakistan, turkey and Saudi Arabia national soccer teams. Not one of the players is wearing head gear. You can all check it out. Now I still think they should let kids wear them. But I say no to the CMNT.

Inconsistent argument I'm afraid, what if one of those kids develops to be a quality forward capable of playing at international Level?

Not a good example. There isn't much Sikhs in those countries (percentage wise: Canada almost has equal amount of Sikhs than India. Pakistan, Turkey and Saudi Arabia don't have any Sikhs at all). If you want to see turbaned wearing Sikhs, then look at India's field hockey or cricket team. Soccer in India is mostly played by Indians living eastern part of India (most of players on Indian national team are from that region). Most Sikhs in India come from north western part of India.

Baptised Sikhs have played professional and International football in India.

http://www.friendsofsoccer.com/?p=154

Going to pile on a bit and say you're probably looking in the wrong direction. Don't think you'll find too many Sikhs in Pakistan, Turkey or Arabia but in India I'd expect you'd find the athletic Sikh population in with the cricketers. I've long held the impression that footie is to India what water polo is to Canada. A very tiny niche market.

Any sponsor funding for hosting finals is to CSA, the only loss is what teams and parents spend when going to nationals for hotels etc. the reality is that is not serious money ten teams X 20 players equals one hundred hotel rooms for perhaps a week, not enough to make anyone care for the economic impact.

Tournament hosts do not make money on National All Stars or club championships, if anyone who has run an event can say with all honesty we made 10k profit running a CSA national event with money going to local coffers I would be shocked it just does not happen.

The events run with 500k from player fees the six bucks each player pays to the CSA for national programs, Quebec can keep its six dollars time 186K member ( 1.12 Million ) and be very much ahead economically by not paying the CSA when suspended.

Will Quebec players playing outside the FIFA house never get chance to play professional ? Not true as most countries do not register all players from youth as we do in Canada.

Will Senior players be impacted ? Not really they can win a Quebec title and feel satisfied.

The CSA ban has huge downsides from a business perspective to the CSA unless it intends to urge community clubs, i.e. non-professional to affliated directly with the CSA to be in the house of FIFA, to do that they have to get the provinces on side.... think Ontario and BC and Alberta are about to shut down their operations and let the CSA collect all player fees and registrations directly ?

If that happens good on the CSA thats when real reform will happen, but I doubt any province will sign on to ending itself to uphold a CSA sanction of Quebec.

Hi Trillium. Some of your content is correct, but you are wrong on several points. QC does benefit from hosting nationals in several ways. First, the economic spin as you point out, but depending on the age group such as U14, it could be 24 teams, staying for 7 days. When parents, referees, officials, reps and coaching staff are taken into account, the hotel revenues alone are roughly 400 rooms x 7 nights x $150 per night. Meals and misc spending will add another minimum $100 per room per day. Add in buses, air travel, tourism, spending approaches $1 million.

Another factor is provincial funding for strong performance on the national stage. As mentioned by Rycroft in a CBC article, QC success on the field is rewarded with provincial $. QC wants all-stars because they earn medals. They also want club nationals because they earn medals.

For hosting, I know for a fact that some hosts have made some decent change. I specifically can say that a senior national championship made a bit more than $50,000 for a host. Unfortunately, I know of a host that lost near as much too. Many youth championships make $10k plus.

Every player pays the CSA roughly $8. It varies slightly from province to province, based on a formula passed a couple of years ago, but it is very close.

QC might think they save $1.2 million from not being in the CSA, but remember a big factor here, QSF pays NOTHING. It is the players/parents that pay the $8, the QSF collects it and passes it on. If the QSF is not affiliated with CSA, they'll have to justify collecting the $8. Likely will just say that provincial fees went up.

QSF teams will save big bucks on travel expenses, as they won't be able to play outside of QC. Can't even go to France, unless they participate in a non-FIFA tournament.

I agree CSA does lose out. It has to with losing that many members. Even though CSA is taking the high road here by keeping access open to turban wearing players, the entire country loses if an entire provincial player base is taken out of the loop. If the QSF keep their ban, I would not be surprised at all if border clubs/districts start leaving QSF membership and apply for a new status with CSA. I certainly hope that QSF see the error in their turban ban, and reverse their decision quickly. Everyone is losing everyday. Current QSF board members however, have already lost their credibility, they should resign.

Going to pile on a bit and say you're probably looking in the wrong direction. Don't think you'll find too many Sikhs in Pakistan, Turkey or Arabia but in India I'd expect you'd find the athletic Sikh population in with the cricketers. I've long held the impression that footie is to India what water polo is to Canada. A very tiny niche market.

Don't forget about Field Hockey which is usually dominated by Sikhs in India (based on history).

Guys please send your comments to the QSF, this way they will have even more pressure to overturn their own decision.

And realize this has nothing to do with:

Politics

Religion

English vs. French

It has to do with letting children, men and women play the sport they enjoy, which is playing soccer...pointe finale!!!!!

"courriel@federation-soccer.qc.ca" <courriel@federation-soccer.qc.ca>

Not a good example. There isn't much Sikhs in those countries (percentage wise: Canada almost has equal amount of Sikhs than India. Pakistan, Turkey and Saudi Arabia don't have any Sikhs at all). If you want to see turbaned wearing Sikhs, then look at India's field hockey or cricket team. Soccer in India is mostly played by Indians living eastern part of India (most of players on Indian national team are from that region). Most Sikhs in India come from north western part of India.

You got everything right except this part. There are about 20 million Sikhs in India compared to 500,000 in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2013/06/14/sp-soccer-canadian-soccer-association-quebec-turban-ban.html

Looks like the QSF will have to throw the towel in.

Nope, sorry. Best Sikh cricketer to look at for comparison is Monty Panesar. Not that there is anything wrong with looking at the Indian Model but he's born and raised Sikh form Luton Befordshire.

Oh and he's also an absolute STAR!

Potentially the best off spinner in the world on current form (particularly on Indian Wickets)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpHRc6kSd0

and a comic Genius in the lower batting order.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=monty+panesar+dive&view=detail&mid=0C361A212DF469466EE00C361A212DF469466EE0&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR

Nope, sorry. Best Sikh cricketer to look at for comparison is Monty Panesar. Not that there is anything wrong with looking at the Indian Model but he's born and raised Sikh form Luton Befordshire.

Oh and he's also an absolute STAR!

Potentially the best off spinner in the world on current form (particularly on Indian Wickets)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUpHRc6kSd0

and a comic Genius in the lower batting order.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=monty+panesar+dive&view=detail&mid=0C361A212DF469466EE00C361A212DF469466EE0&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR

I am not a cricket fan so I am not aware about England having a Sikh on their national team. I know there's a turban wearing Sikh on India's national team (Harbhajan Singh)

I am not a cricket fan so I am not aware about England having a Sikh on their national team. I know there's a turban wearing Sikh on India's national team (Harbhajan Singh)

Yes indeed very good player. Do a Google image and you'll note he wears the same turban style as Monty. It really should be such a none issue.

Acc to Wikipedia India has almost 20 million Sikhs and Canada almost 500,000. Checked as I found these statements pretty odd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikh

Archived