Quebec Soccer Federation says "No" to turbans when the CSA says "Yes".

Yup, not bigoted or racist, they would ban it as well if it were Muslim, Christian, or Hindu etc headress if there were such a thing. Labelling people with those words in this case is a simplistic knee jerk reaction and the person doesn't understand the whole reason why the decision was made.

I think the general CSA document is very reasonable and straight forward, a good demonstration of what I believe a 'secular' and inclusive decision to be.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's official: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/06/03/montreal-observant-sikhs-left-out-of-soccer-turbans-banned.html

I don't understand why it's only an issue in Quebec. Rest of Canada and even UK don't have any issues with turbans in soccer.

The English would normally "wrap" it up in a health a safety issue. With that in mind the full turban Dastar could be seen as a safety issue. Last thing you would want is to get the pointed end of one of those in you face, let lone you eye. However the Patka, as worn by England cricketer Monty Panasar is not only seen as acceptable but has become , quite frankly Iconic. Montey not only made the Patka acceptable he gave it cred and made it look cool.

Contra to popular misconception, Sikhs in the UK don't tend to ride motorcycles wearing Dastars. They wear Patkas with a Decent Shoei or Bell over the top of it. There is still some debate that a turban is safer than a decent skid lid but an old (Sikh) riding buddy of mine in the UK would look at you 'stoopid' if you suggested cloth over his Shoei when he went out on his Bandit.

The loose fabric associated with a hijab could cause The Health and Safety boys some concern but as far as I understand someone designed a sport version that look similar to a balaclava. There are solutions to this issue that are been ignored ergo, someone in Quebec (probably both sides) is playing politics here.

@ Pbullen, as goalie, I'm allowed to wear a hat.;)

Just for some clarification:

Baptised Sikhs are required by their religion to wear turbans. Many wear patkas when participating in sporting events. Both are made with soft fabric, and and held in place with knots...not pins or jewellery. Turbans and patkas pose no reasonable threat on the field. Their use is protective and practical as well as symbolic, as baptised Sikhs believe their hair is sacred and must never be shorn.

Friends of Soccer is about to mobilize an action against the QSF, and call on the CSA & FIFA to sanction or suspend them. In 21st Century Canada, there's only one way this is going to go. The CSA can decide now to be on the right side of history.

Just for some clarification:

Baptised Sikhs are required by their religion to wear turbans. Many wear patkas when participating in sporting events. Both are made with soft fabric, and and held in place with knots...not pins or jewellery. Turbans and patkas pose no reasonable threat on the field. Their use is protective and practical as well as symbolic, as baptised Sikhs believe their hair is sacred and must never be shorn.

Friends of Soccer is about to mobilize an action against the QSF, and call on the CSA & FIFA to sanction or suspend them. In 21st Century Canada, there's only one way this is going to go. The CSA can decide now to be on the right side of history.

Without trying to seem too crass would it not be an apt symbol of support for players this weekend to sport bandanas?

Just a note that Friends of Soccer is organizing again to combat discrimination against Sikhs in Quebec Soccer. This past week, the Quebec Soccer Federation banned the wearing of turbans and patkas on Quebec soccer fields...headgear that is allowed by every provincial association. Their action is discriminatory and violates a specific directive from the Canadian Soccer Association.

If you're interested in helping, there's more info here:

http://friendsofsoccer.blogspot.ca/2013/06/quebec-soccer-must-end-discrimination.html

Bill Currie

This story is growing in media attention. It was covered by the 6'oclock radio news on CBC today. Comment by Gosal in the House of Commons today as well. This stubborn foolishness reflects poorly on the whole province.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/national/Quebec+Soccer+Federation+turbans+shameful+clear/8478044/story.html

At least the La Presse columnists have made a blitz criticizing the stupid FSQ decision:

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/votre-opinion/201306/04/01-4657755-turban-sikh-et-ballon-rond.php

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/chroniques/yves-boisvert/201306/05/01-4657886-le-turban-de-jackie-robinson.php

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/chroniques/francois-gagnon/201306/05/01-4657959-chassez-donc-les-pissenlits.php

One of the thing that I don't understand is that many commentators (often the ones who are in favor of the FSQ decision) are alluding to "immigrants" in this story. Sikhs have been in Canada for more than 100 years so referring to them as immigrants is an ignorant thing to do.

Great gives the retro-Cons a chance to pretend they are pro-immigrant (beyond just the temporary foreign-indentured kind) in front of the tv camera. Way to go FSQ. I'll give it to the sports minister for making the easy-right decision and the FSQ for ****ing up big time, time is ticking for them to back down from being dumb.

One of the thing that I don't understand is that many commentators (often the ones who are in favor of the FSQ decision) are alluding to "immigrants" in this story. Sikhs have been in Canada for more than 100 years so referring to them as immigrants is an ignorant thing to do.

That may be so, and while I don't know about Quebec I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 2nd generation Sikh-Canadian in Winnipeg, never mind one which could trace his/her roots in Canada back past the 70's. And this is a city with a fairly large and established Sikh community which I'm happy to say is accepted as a normal part of Winnipeg's diverse mosaic. Feel confident saying the vast majority of established Sikhs out this way arrived, if I can borrow a phrase, as a result of "the troubles" although a new economic wave is currently finding their way to our dirty streets.

But if living 40 years on Canada's shores and having a litter of children that grew up playing hockey (or ringette) makes you an immigrant, well then....

Great gives the retro-Cons a chance to pretend they are pro-immigrant (beyond just the temporary foreign-indentured kind) in front of the tv camera. Way to go FSQ. I'll give it to the sports minister for making the easy-right decision and the FSQ for ****ing up big time, time is ticking for them to back down from being dumb.

Not only that, but Liberals haven't said a word on this issue. Cons are going to milk this to get Sikh votes in Toronto and Vancouver.

At least the La Presse columnists have made a blitz criticizing the stupid FSQ decision:

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/votre-opinion/201306/04/01-4657755-turban-sikh-et-ballon-rond.php

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/chroniques/yves-boisvert/201306/05/01-4657886-le-turban-de-jackie-robinson.php

http://www.lapresse.ca/debats/chroniques/francois-gagnon/201306/05/01-4657959-chassez-donc-les-pissenlits.php

This is true, but however, this quite common for Canadians to assume all ethnic minorities are immigrants though. Canada has a long way to go when comes to race relations.

RPB poster receive a reply back from FIFA

This is the answer in regards to a letter that I sent FIFA:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Under law 4 of the laws of the game it is stated that any equipment apart from the basic equipment shall be examined by the referee and be considered as not dangerous to be allowed on the field.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/officialdocuments/doclists/laws.html

FIFA lifted the ban of wearing hijabs or turbans, as well as the Canadian Soccer association did. Therefore, as the Quebec Football Federation lies under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Soccer Association, please contact them directly in this regard:

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=can/index.html

Thank you for your understanding and interest.

Kind regards,

Communications & Public Affairs Division

FIFA – Fédération Internationale de Football Association

www.FIFA.com

So there we have it! FIFA isn't against it! CSA isn't against it! So QSF is wrong on this issue.

That may be so, and while I don't know about Quebec I think you'd be hard pressed to find a 2nd generation Sikh-Canadian in Winnipeg, never mind one which could trace his/her roots in Canada back past the 70's. And this is a city with a fairly large and established Sikh community which I'm happy to say is accepted as a normal part of Winnipeg's diverse mosaic. Feel confident saying the vast majority of established Sikhs out this way arrived, if I can borrow a phrase, as a result of "the troubles" although a new economic wave is currently finding their way to our dirty streets.

But if living 40 years on Canada's shores and having a litter of children that grew up playing hockey (or ringette) makes you an immigrant, well then....

My maternal great grandfather arrived in BC from Punjab with three of his cousins in 1908. While he eventually returned to India before his death in the 1930s, members of my family have been living on Vancouver Island continuously for over a hundred years. Sikh Canadians are recognised as pioneers in just about every community on Vancouver Island from Port Alberni to Duncan. Granted, outside of Southern BC, most of the Canadian Sikh population can trace their roots in Canada to Trudeau's liberalisation of immigration laws in the early-seventies, it is wrong to label us as a 'new' community in Canada.

I would challenge any of these Quebec bigots to refer to men such as Herb Doman and Wally Oppal as merely immigrants.

I personally think this is ridiculous, made even more so by the 'go play in your own yard' broadside by the president of Quebec's soccer association.

I was actually hoping while reading this that the Voyageurs (if a consensus were reached) could write a letter to the Quebec association denouncing the discrimination against Sikh players.

Unfortunately, it seems we have folks on both sides of the fence here.

this quote,

“Under law 4 of the laws of the game it is stated that any equipment apart

from the basic equipment shall be examined by the referee and be considered

as not dangerous to be allowed on the field."

Back to our friend in the opinion of the referee then.

Also as.

"“FIFA lifted the ban of wearing hijabs or turbans, as well as the Canadian

Soccer association did. Therefore, as the Quebec Football Federation lies

under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Soccer Association, please contact

them directly in this regard:"

It appears that QSF is in conflict with the CSA.

should QSF hold to its stance and find itself out of "good standing" with the CSA how does this effect Montreal Impact going forward?

should QSF hold to its stance and find itself out of "good standing" with the CSA how does this effect Montreal Impact going forward?

Not at all. The QSF has no power over Montreal Impact AFAIK. The pro teams (D1 & D2) are regulated directly by the CSA.

Archived