Quebec Soccer Federation says "No" to turbans when the CSA says "Yes".

As a federalist, I must say that I like that an association can try something like this. I also think it makes sense to be able to suspend associations that start acting completely alien to the group as a whole.

Despite some of the remarks about Montagliani and the "Italian Mafia" I think that a combination of exposure and an influx of cash has actually helped change the CSA. I have way more faith in them today then I did before.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ClaytonA
Agreed. There are still some things that are being tip-toed around so far or haven't come to the forefront.

1) Despite how unpopular this decision is in the public as a whole, is it actually popular in Quebec? Not talking about this from a morality POV or what's right, but simply what their membership wants. If the membership actually wants this and digs in behind the QSF, look out.

2) Transfer of player registration fees. How badly does the CSA need that money, how much power does the QSF have to withhold it? Does it embolden other provinces to start using it as a negotiating ploy which causes more problems for the CSA down the road? Probably not answers the CSA wants to find out or have other provinces see.

To me it all points out the fact that the reform package falls well short. There shouldn't be any provincial associations at all. They should all be provincial branches of the national association. The current system is just too distorted.

In some countries (Australia IIRC), don't they have a centralized player registration system whereby you register directly with the national body (ie CSA) and then fees are remitted back to the territories (provincial service organizations). Like our income taxes. In the end the CSA holds the cards, not the QSF or any of the other provinces. As said though, it could get ugly - you might end up with more unsanctioned leagues with players not part of the anything FIFA related or CSA related - ie playing just on a rec level.

Hopefully the main consequence will be the firing of the QSF's Board of Idiots and Bigots and Sikh kids being allowed to play soccer in Quebec like anyone else.

I strongly suspect that this is a politically motivated issue and decision. And, that the QSF has has been over ruled or influenced into making this decision by the responsible minister. The Gov't has been (for the past 3-6 months) on a campaign to pick fights with Ottawa and look for wedge issues between it and ROC in order to whip up a frenzie for sovereignty. This is just another example of several over the past 3-6 months. Even the last federal budget has been portrayed as an affront or insult to all quebecers.

PS.| They just mentioned on 24 sur 60 that R Legendre will be coming up in after commercial to comment.

Former PQ minister. .

Wow. I wasnt aware of that. And judging from his comments, it doesnt surprise me. He was comparing the banning of turbans to the requiremant at wimbledon to wear shirts. What ignorance! Saputo on the other hand sounded pretty diplomatic. Kind of staddled the fence on it.

Awww yeah, can't believe nobody else got this on here before me. Here's what the Premier of Quebec had to say on the matter.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/06/11/quebec-marois-sides-turban-ban.html

"I believe the Quebec federation has the right to make its own rules, it's autonomous, it's not bound by the Canadian federation"

Ummm... actually it is. In the way that CSA answers to FIFA for all provincial org's in Canada... so basically dissing the CSA is like dissing FIFA.

And thereby the very fabric of what makes soccer an international sport.

Furthermore, I believe I should have a solid gold toilet, but it's just not in the cards now is it?

Awww yeah, can't believe nobody else got this on here before me. Here's what the Premier of Quebec had to say on the matter.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2013/06/11/quebec-marois-sides-turban-ban.html

"I believe the Quebec federation has the right to make its own rules, it's autonomous, it's not bound by the Canadian federation"

Ummm... actually it is. In the way that CSA answers to FIFA for all provincial org's in Canada... so basically dissing the CSA is like dissing FIFA.

Furthermore, I believe I should have a solid gold toilet, but it's just not in the cards now is it?

Based on the comments I have been reading online, this issue is quickly becoming "English Canada vs French Canada". Having PQ leader supporting QSF is adding more fuel to the fire.

TFC-Impact game in July is going to be intense if this ban isn't lifted (it sounds like QSF is going to fight it) based on the comments I have been reading online. Hopefully Impact fans (and Saputo) either don't come to Toronto or make sure they have a lot of security with them for their safety.

Former PQ minister. I'm more surprised about what Joey Saputo said.

Saputo is trying not to piss off a portion of his market; from that perspective his weak-kneed response trying to play both sides, it is more of an indictment of the QSF to say "figure out a resolution" as to this point its the QSF that has pretended it needn't respect with anyone. And in the long run, I'd be surprised if Saputo doesn't realize that being the representative of North America's biggots -because that will be how the media relations ends in a broader North America if the QSF digs in and he does not take a stronger stand against the QSF- is not very bad for his business and team, and maybe more importantly for MLS. The controversy-adverse league. It does make his attempt to play both sides surprising but I think he is probably trying to avoid pissing off anyone at this point, hoping that his hand is not further forced.

I strongly suspect that this is a politically motivated issue and decision. And, that the QSF has has been over ruled or influenced into making this decision by the responsible minister. The Gov't has been (for the past 3-6 months) on a campaign to pick fights with Ottawa and look for wedge issues between it and ROC in order to whip up a frenzie for sovereignty. This is just another example of several over the past 3-6 months. Even the last federal budget has been portrayed as an affront or insult to all quebecers.

PS.| They just mentioned on 24 sur 60 that R Legendre will be coming up in after commercial to comment.

I suspect this may be true. It ties in well with their secularization program which is designed to prevent minorities from wearing any religious symbols while not applying the same rules to Christian symbols. No one believes more in the separation of church and state than I do but this is just an excuse for discrimination of the type we are seeing in this issue. I am disappointed that Saputo did not come out more strongly but I can understand him having to be political. However, Legendre's statements are disgraceful. I have spoken with him several times even a few times about touched on politics and he seemed like an ok guy even if we did not agree. I also know that he is well spoken of by Impact employees including anglophones. However, to hear him in these interviews with really weak justifications for bigotry and blaming the CSA for the stupidity of the QSF has made me lose any respect for him. He has shown his true colours and they are not pretty. And by true colours I don't mean the fact he is a separatist which is an opinion he has the right to hold, I mean the fact that he finds justifications for discrimination. Furthermore, he is doing all these interviews in the guise as a representative of the Impact. I am embarrassed to have him represent our club like that. He has the right to hold whatever views he wants but as long as he is representing the club he should keep those views to himself and not be using the Impact to voice PQ values and policies. I will be complaining to the club about this personally and if some of the online reactions to his statements are an indication I think many others will as well. I really hope to have the opportunity this year to personally tell him what I think of his views.

The strange thing about the radical PQ strategy is that while it appeals to hard core extreme separatists it alienates all the moderates that they will need if they ever want to have a hope of winning a referendum. As irritating as it is to have Marois in power she is in some way the best argument for federalism in Quebec. The PQ only got 32% of the vote in the last election despite running against an extremely unpopular and morally corrupt Liberal government. She is not expanding her voting base with her radical policies.

Here is the video from 24 sur 60: http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/24_heures_en_60_minutes/2012-2013/Entrevue.asp?idDoc=297659&autoPlay=http://www.radio-canada.ca/Medianet/2013/RDI/2013-06-11_19_00_00_24h60m_0002_003_1200.asx

Even worse here is a video with an interviewer who is as extreme as Legendre: http://www.985fm.ca/audioplayer.php?mp3=179691

Based on the comments I have been reading online, this issue is quickly becoming "English Canada vs French Canada". Having PQ leader supporting QSF is adding more fuel to the fire.

TFC-Impact game in July is going to be intense if this ban isn't lifted (it sounds like QSF is going to fight it) based on the comments I have been reading online. Hopefully Impact fans (and Saputo) either don't come to Toronto or make sure they have a lot of security with them for their safety.

First of all there are a lot of people in Quebec who are pissed off about the turban ban and not just the anglophones. I spoke with a couple of French Quebecois yesterday who were really pissed off about it and said "once again these type of people make us look like idiots in Quebec." I also read the thread on the french language impactsoccer.com about the issue and a large majority thinks the QSF is wrong to ban turbans. Yes there are also some who support the ban but I think they are louder than they are numerous although they are still too many.

Second in reading online commentary from the ROC there is a fairly high percentage of posts that agree with the stance of the QSF. Even worse as much as it pisses me off as a Quebecer to have to listen to people like Marois it is also disturbing whenever she does something bigoted to read ROC commentary much of which is just as bigoted against Quebec.

As far as the game goes it is a midweek game so I doubt there will be an organized bus trip. It is one thing to get a couple of days off work for a midweek Voyageurs Cup game but a midseason MLS game is a lot harder to sell to enough people to make a bus trip worthwhile. There will, however, be at least some Impact fans showing up to the game as there always are. However, if TFC fans are going to attack Montreal fans because of the turban issue then they will have descended to a level of tolerance and bigotry far greater than that of QSF.

Given R Legendre’s prior background and this sudden controversy I have to question whether fiduciary duties have been breached. This is not to say that PQ types are unfit to serve, but in this case the QSF seems to have no evidence that it’s making this decision for the benefit of the membership. Was this decision motivated by anything remotely soccer related or was it an opportunity to politicize something? I don’t think it takes much of an imagination to see which it is.

People in the association need to put their own interests aside and serve the membership. Anything less is self-dealing.

Given R Legendre’s prior background and this sudden controversy I have to question whether fiduciary duties have been breached. This is not to say that PQ types are unfit to serve, but in this case the QSF seems to have no evidence that it’s making this decision for the benefit of the membership. Was this decision motivated by anything remotely soccer related or was it an opportunity to politicize something? I don’t think it takes much of an imagination to see which it is.

People in the association need to put their own interests aside and serve the membership. Anything less is self-dealing.

Legendre is the Vice-President of the Impact not a member of the QSF. I think he is out of line to be making the statements that he is in his position as a representative of our club but it will be up to the club to deal with that and hopefully reprimand or even better fire him. Ironically Legendre was a professional tennis player (highest rank 232 ) and represented Canada once at the Davis Cup.

Let's not forget that the hundred or so Sikh kids in Quebec that want to play soccer are in the West Island of Montreal, a staunchly Anglo area, and are themselves Anglos. Sadly I feel this is a factor on the political side of things, for those of the Marois ilk. I doubt they would be facing such opposition were they from a nice Frankicized immigrant demographic living further East on the Island.

Mans an Idiot, I'm not sure if it was him or some other fool who moaned that The CSA was denying children in Quebec the right to play for no reason!

Good thing to note was a report on "As it happens which profiled a team (with no Sikhs in it) who took to the field wearing turbans they borrowed from the Local Sikh association. It was the kids who drove the issue.

What was disappointing was the reaction of the opposition coach who declined to join in by pretty much following the QSF line. Although he appeared to be of the opinion that If Sikhs want to live in Quebec they had to erm, "Conform".

What is interesting is seeing some of the retcon logic from individuals who support the ban. They claim that it is promoting 'neutrality' in sport. I presume they mean religious neutrality. And yet I doubt anyone his getting cards in Quebec for crossing themselves when they score a goal.

It is also interesting to note that based on the article I posted, the QSF and Marois stand to have egg on their face rather soon. She, and the QSF may not think the CSA has jurisdiction there, but FIFA thinks the CSA does. And Haiti, which is to play a friendly in Sherbrooke, might have to cancel if the CSA doesn't lift the suspension. There are also a number of other consequences involving teams competing nationally, as a result of this suspension.

It is amazing that a politician, even at the Provincial level no less, could be so ignorant of a subject, she needs to fire her advisers.

It is amazing that a politician, even at the Provincial level no less, could be so ignorant of a subject, she needs to fire her advisers.

Umm, she thinks the word "pasta" on restaurant menus is a threat to an entire way of life. We're not dealing with Mensa here.

Don't underestimate just how bigoted parts of Quebec society are. This isn't about soccer, it's about Marois looking to solidify support for herself amongst the pure laine.

I expect nothing would thrill her more than if FIFA got involved, and supported the CSA.

Québec soccer federation has stated it would stay on its position.

Now what do you do ?

Don't expect any change from Québec. Seperatist government is delighted with the turn of event. Their political option was very low in the opinion polls and the government was impopular with high rates of unsatisfaction.

Ironically CSA has separated Québec from the rest of Canada. Exactly what premier Marois hoped when she got the power : to establish sovereinist governance. I would have expected such things to come from sensitive isssues like language but never from soccer !

So, I repeat my question : What CSA is going to do now it has imposed the highest sanction it could, the death penalty, without success ?

Don't underestimate just how bigoted parts of Quebec society are. This isn't about soccer, it's about Marois looking to solidify support for herself amongst the pure laine.

Yes. There is big difference when you read comments in ROC who support things like this ban compared to when you read the same comments in Quebec. In ROC, its the fringe element. Its the kind of people whom if you were to call them bigotted, many would acknowledge it.

But in Quebec, it's quite different. The demographic for these kind of views is much much larger and its people who on the one hand, would support this kind of ban and the the other hand, would take great offensive to being called bigotted. And, who would go so far to calling ROC bigotted for supporting this kind of issue.

This is what we are dealing with here. Namely, what many us outside Quebec would consider bigotted, is actually mainstream tought in quebec because it has support of main stream entities like the PQ, opinion leaders and much of the media.

There is an another identical issue in the news right now that really illustrates this. In the last election, the PQ campaigned on introducing a fixed date for provincial elections. And now, as result, they have chosen a preferred date that just happens to coincide with a Jewish holiday. When this was brought up, they just kind of said screw you to that and that its no different from any holiday such as buddist holiday etc. Would this ever happen anywhere else in Canada? Of course not. You would get raked through the coals in the court of public opinion. Even many large employers in ROC make a point of respecting religious holidays and taking that into account on their booking calendar.

Archived