Canada vs USA June 2nd BMO Field - Pre game and planning thread

Admin

You can definitely have a 19+ event, card patrons at the door and refuse entry to anyone who isn't of age. In fact the AGCO encourages that licensees do this.

Except, I think there is something based on the designation of the establishment... IE: if it is a Tavern, Bar, Restaurant, Inn, etc etc... that requires you to allow certain demographics during certain hours...?

Beats me, suffice to say though, I'll steer all my younger associates ("tag-alongs") to a different venue in order to maintain the proper atmosphere at Gossips!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except, I think there is something based on the designation of the establishment... IE: if it is a Tavern, Bar, Restaurant, Inn, etc etc... that requires you to allow certain demographics during certain hours...?

Beats me, suffice to say though, I'll steer all my younger associates ("tag-alongs") to a different venue in order to maintain the proper atmosphere at Gossips!

Don't think so. I own a pub that is registered as a "restaurant" and we card everyone after 900pm 3 nights a week. The other 4 we don't. The AGCO knows we do this and has encouraged us to do it on other nights. As far as the registration of the type of licensed establishment it does nothing more than to help the AGCO understand what kind of clientele typically frequent it. There aren't any separate rules depending on what type of licensee you are.

I don't mean to argue, there's just very few things that I can speak about with a higher than average degree of knowledge. ?

Don't think so. I own a pub that is registered as a "restaurant" and we card everyone after 900pm 3 nights a week. The other 4 we don't. The AGCO knows we do this and has encouraged us to do it on other nights. As far as the registration of the type of licensed establishment it does nothing more than to help the AGCO understand what kind of clientele typically frequent it. There aren't any separate rules depending on what type of licensee you are.

I don't mean to argue, there's just very few things that I can speak about with a higher than average degree of knowledge.

That's what I mean. I thought there was a certain time of day, or some sort of regulation whereby a restaurant could deem themselves primarily a "bar" after a certain time, and then decline admittance based on that.

Then again, I might be showing my age when I think that a Tavern, Bar, Pub, Inn, Restaurant were all different thangs! ;)

I don't mean to argue, there's just very few things that I can speak about with a higher than average degree of knowledge. 

I crack up when they card me at Gracies....I don't even look like a liquor inspector...

On the major point...about kids in the bar in TO June 2, my feeling is it is not a problem in terms of me as a V, having drinks before the game, if parents bring kids..so be it, make them behave, sit them down give them a healthy drink, milk, juice box etc. we have too many age lines in this society as it is, heck we have soccer leagues in Ontario who wont let a 16 year old girl play women's soccer cause they are too young, yet such players in other countries are on the national teams.

They might well encourage you to do it. But I don't think there's anything in any of the liquor laws that allow you to do it. There's not a word on the AGCO website. Perhaps there's something relating to laws about businesses and private places that let's you restrict entry based on age or other criteria - but if there is, I'm not aware of it (but would be interested). As far as I know, the only establishments that can restrict entry based on age would be a private club. I'd think that any restaurant or bar that tried to restrict entry based on age, could face a human rights challenge. Personally though, it's only ever been an issue for me with a baby-in-arms ... I'm not likely to bring a 6-year old out at 9 pm at night to a bar. However a newborn that sleeps on you all day is a different story ... I suspect as a pub owner though, your nightmare isn't the baby or the 6-year old. It's the 18-year old ...

Still, we are way off-topic here ... not an issue for this game.

They might well encourage you to do it. But I don't think there's anything in any of the liquor laws that allow you to do it. There's not a word on the AGCO website. Perhaps there's something relating to laws about businesses and private places that let's you restrict entry based on age or other criteria - but if there is, I'm not aware of it (but would be interested). As far as I know, the only establishments that can restrict entry based on age would be a private club. I'd think that any restaurant or bar that tried to restrict entry based on age, could face a human rights challenge. Personally though, it's only ever been an issue for me with a baby-in-arms ... I'm not likely to bring a 6-year old out at 9 pm at night to a bar. However a newborn that sleeps on you all day is a different story ... I suspect as a pub owner though, your nightmare isn't the baby or the 6-year old. It's the 18-year old ...

Still, we are way off-topic here ... not an issue for this game.

Mods please move this to a General Off Topic thread.

I can't speak to possible human rights challenge but in terms of the Liquor Licence Act there's generally two areas of the act that allow most licensees to card and deny entry to people who are not yet 19. There's also one specific section of the act that deals directly with people who are not yet 19 and establishments who have a history of problems with minors.

Removing person from premises

34. (1) The holder of a licence or permit issued in respect of premises shall ensure that a person does not remain on the premises if the holder has reasonable grounds to believe that the person,

(a) is unlawfully on the premises;

(B) is on the premises for an unlawful purpose; or

© is contravening the law on the premises. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 34 (1).

Right to refuse entry

(5) A licensee or employee of a licensee who has reason to believe that the presence of a person on the licensee’s licensed premises is undesirable may,

(a) request the person to leave; or

(B) forbid the person to enter the licensed premises. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 34 (5).

As you can see 34.1b says that a licensee can remove (refusal of entry is the same thing from my understanding) anyone who they believe may be on the premise for an unlawful purpose, i.e. purchase alcohol when not of age.

34.5a & 34.5b of the LLA relates to the refusal of entry to a person that a licensee may deem "undersirable." From my understanding the term "undesirable" refers to anyone who the licensee may deem a problem, and a 17 or 18 year old in a bar after 9pm would from my experience be a problem.

Finally if a licensee has had problems with underage drinking the AGCO may add conditions to their license that prohibits certain things such as no one under the age of 19 being allowed on the premise. See 30.10 of the LLA.

Entering premises

(10) No person under nineteen years of age shall enter or remain on premises in which the sale of liquor is authorized if the person knows that a condition of the licence or permit for the premises prohibits the entry of persons under nineteen years of age. R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19, s. 30 (10).

Anyway that's my interpretation. I may be wrong.

Guest Future CanWNT
How about:

you are our ladies/ and we are your fans/ whenever you play for us/ we'll do all that we can/ we're heading for something/ somewhere we've never been/ sometimes we may struggle/ but we've already learned of the power of bronze.

Had a better idea:

you are our ladies/ and we are your fans/ whenever you play for us/ we'll do all that we can/ we're heading for glory/ and for 2015/ sometimes we may struggle/ but we've already learned of the power of bronze.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Future CanWNT

It's official, Solo's out. She was interviewed at half time during the Seattle Reign vs. Kansas City game in the NWSL last week and she confirmed she won't be there. She's out until mid June.

Won't be nearly as much fun counting to 6 without her.

It's official, Solo's out. She was interviewed at half time during the Seattle Reign vs. Kansas City game in the NWSL last week and she confirmed she won't be there. She's out until mid June.

Won't be nearly as much fun counting to 6 without her. ��

As expected, she has not recovered. Let's not focus on the Solo banners and chants then. Let's get back to:

'Cause you're our ladies

And we are your fans

Whenever you reach for us

We'll do all that we can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BHoj8uFdr8

Quick question in regards to flag protocol. In another forum-topic Jamie mentions that flags are only up for the first 30 seconds of each half, and after a goal.....

Is this going to be the regular protocol for this match???

What specifically are the rules we are going with???

It will take me more than 30 seconds to get my 5'x8' up and waving. :)

Just donated some, enjoy!

Quick question in regards to flag protocol. In another forum-topic Jamie mentions that flags are only up for the first 30 seconds of each half, and after a goal.....

Is this going to be the regular protocol for this match???

What specifically are the rules we are going with???

It will take me more than 30 seconds to get my 5'x8' up and waving. :)

Just donated some, enjoy!

The 30 seconds is just the two display times everyone is supposed to do it at once.

Outside of 112,113,114 you might have some resistance to constantly waving it.

This way people can expect it at those times.

Outside of 112,113,114 you might have some resistance to constantly waving it.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!

Of course, I'm in 117, but I'll play it by ear / eye, I am certainly not going to be an asshat in front of 1289371280937 screaming whippersnappers!!

Thanks

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!

Of course, I'm in 117, but I'll play it by ear / eye, I am certainly not going to be an asshat in front of 1289371280937 screaming whippersnappers!!

Thanks

Do you want to be in 117?

How where did you get tickets in 117?

There are only two huge groups there... have I missed something?

Are you part of one of those groups?

If you don't want to be there I can get you into the supporters section 'proper'

Do you want to be in 117?

How where did you get tickets in 117?

There are only two huge groups there... have I missed something?

Are you part of one of those groups?

If you don't want to be there I can get you into the supporters section 'proper'

Wait... let me go check... I thought I was in 117, but my memory might be failing me!

OOOPS I lied... Sorry for that! I am in 116 row 14 seat 29 & 30... Hopefully those are near an aisle and I can wave the flag 24/7!!

It's official, Solo's out

U.S. goalkeeper Hope Solo, who underwent wrist surgery in early March, will join the U.S. team in Canada for some training and evaluation of her wrist but will not be on the game roster

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/womens-national-team/2013/05/sermanni-names-us-wnt-training-camp-roster-for-match-against-canada-in-toronto-on-june-2.aspx

Archived