Canada vs USA June 2nd BMO Field - Pre game and planning thread

Admin

Will this be remotely teen appropriate, or adults only?? Of course my kids can always stand outside whilst I get my swill!!!

I would say the atmosphere was teen appropriate but not necessarily "young kids" appropriate. Think afterwork pub patio.

Previous games were later in the day so the vibe might be a little different this time. No one was checking ID's at the door, I think anyone should be able to come in.

EDIT: As Jamie said, they make their money off beer sales, so they'll want people who'll drink to be there

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say the atmosphere was teen appropriate but not necessarily "young kids" appropriate. Think afterwork pub patio.

Previous games were later in the day so the vibe might be a little different this time. No one was checking ID's at the door, I think anyone should be able to come in.

EDIT: As Jamie said, they make their money off beer sales, so they'll want people who'll drink to be there

There are large groups of kids who have bought tickets, like 25, 35, 60, 100.

We can't have those groups of people come to Gossip. If Gossip loses money on this, and they will be staffing according to the last two events, we will lose it or have to pay to book it.

Not really sure how to approach this.

We can't have those groups of people come to Gossip. If Gossip loses money on this, and they will be staffing according to the last two events, we will lose it or have to pay to book it.

Have Unbro hold a pre-game party near Gossip. Didn't they do one at Lamport last year?

Guest Future CanWNT

^ That could be. When you search for tickets on TM it say they're availible on the South side (V's article says more being realeased next week, so maybe those ones,) and limited availability on the west side, but when you search for 1 ticket at any price, any where in the stadium it says there's none available.

doesn't Ticketrapists hold back a block of tickets to be released somewhat close to the match?

Just to be clear, the Ticketmaster office at BMO is great. They have been instrumental in helping us build what we have done.

As frustrating, in a general purpose sense, as TM can be at times I have to say sometimes I wonder. After selling 20 000+ tickets over the last couple of years, I am far more understanding of their service charges. It costs us money to do this, and we don't have staff,printers, IT infrastructure, brick and mortar locations, ect.... If I were to make minimum wage for the last 2.5 years it would be at least $2/ticket SC with none of the things listed above.

I'd say either try and impose an 18-year age limit, or have max 1-child per adult rule in place. Even if not enforced, that would get the message across. A few kids isn't an issue, but half-a-patio of teen girls could be.

Oddly, I'd be less concerned about my 5-year old in that kind of environment than a 15-year old ...

Though in reality I'll likely just go straight to the game, and skip the pub, with them in tow. Not worth listening to the complaints that there's nothing to eat ...

Does anyone know what makes a good flag waving pole?? I know this seems like an odd question, but just trying to get the gear in place, and I was wondering if folks have good experience with this sort of assembly??

For an 8' x 5' flag

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know what makes a good flag waving pole?? I know this seems like an odd question, but just trying to get the gear in place, and I was wondering if folks have good experience with this sort of assembly??

For an 8' x 5' flag

Thanks in advance!

It's best to use some PVC pipes. They cut to size easily and bend in the wind nicely. BMO security usually has no issues with them.

Things you never thought you would say.

Yes, ironically enough. My thought on this is that having the under 18 crowd at Gossip is a bad idea, if only because it doesn't leave room for the adult contingent to have some drinks and do what we do. Gossip is a bar and bars want to sell drinks to adults. Voyageurs are for the most part adults and most love to mix drinks with soccer. Why screw this up? Please have the establishment set up as 18+ or 19+ (whatever the age is in Ontario) for this event.

I think there will be other options for the teen and family demographics to amuse themself before the game. From the CSA website:

The Canadian Soccer Association and its corporate partners will organize an interactive Fan Fest outside of BMO Field in the afternoon leading up to the match. Fans will be invited to participate in various activities and share the day with like-minded fans. More details will be released as the event draws nearer.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-wnt-v-usa-rematch-sold-out-p153552

Yes, ironically enough. My thought on this is that having the under 18 crowd at Gossip is a bad idea, if only because it doesn't leave room for the adult contingent to have some drinks and do what we do. Gossip is a bar and bars want to sell drinks to adults. Voyageurs are for the most part adults and most love to mix drinks with soccer. Why screw this up? Please have the establishment set up as 18+ or 19+ (whatever the age is in Ontario) for this event.

I think there will be other options for the teen and family demographics to amuse themself before the game. From the CSA website:

The Canadian Soccer Association and its corporate partners will organize an interactive Fan Fest outside of BMO Field in the afternoon leading up to the match. Fans will be invited to participate in various activities and share the day with like-minded fans. More details will be released as the event draws nearer.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-wnt-v-usa-rematch-sold-out-p153552

Already contacted Umbro about doing a youth oriented pre game party. Will know more later, as you can guess they are uber busy crow barring groups into stadium.

Well the Bytown boys have a flag exactly that size, our first pole was a 7 foot pvc with an end handle of a car washer it cam close to 9 -10 foot. Then I found something like metal poles off a pole skimmer pool

Aaaah perfect, thank you very much...

For an 8' x 5' flag

Thanks in advance!

I have a 6' x 4' two stick banner that I use collapsible metal camping poles for. I also bought a yoga mat bag that makes the whole thing easily portable.

When you're part of the mess that killed WPS, that's Hope Solo

When you Dance with the Stars but don't get very far, that's Hope Solo

When you bitch and you sob when pundits do their job, that's Hope Solo

When your celebrity comes before your own team, that's Hope Solooo

Please have the establishment set up as 18+ or 19+ (whatever the age is in Ontario) for this event.
While I agree with the sentiment, I don't think there's actually any legal basis for doing this. Unlike some other places (Quebec, England come to mind), I don't believe Ontario has anything in the licensing laws about restricting certain ages any more ... the ones that no longer exist were based around smoking.

It's part of the same thing that there's no licensing of places that are just bars, and don't offer food.

So while you might request that people be over 18, I don't think it's enforceable. Though does it have to be enforced? Simply getting out the message that it's not for kids, gets the idea across, but if a Voyageur is comfortable with bringing their 10-year old along ... who cares?

When you're part of the mess that killed WPS, that's Hope Solo
Hope Solo isn't playing currently, after wrist surgery. She's probably out until July ... so we won't be seeing her at BMO.

While I agree with the sentiment, I don't think there's actually any legal basis for doing this. Unlike some other places (Quebec, England come to mind), I don't believe Ontario has anything in the licensing laws about restricting certain ages any more ... the ones that no longer exist were based around smoking.

It's part of the same thing that there's no licensing of places that are just bars, and don't offer food.

So while you might request that people be over 18, I don't think it's enforceable. Though does it have to be enforced? Simply getting out the message that it's not for kids, gets the idea across, but if a Voyageur is comfortable with bringing their 10-year old along ... who cares?

Hope Solo isn't playing currently, after wrist surgery. She's probably out until July ... so we won't be seeing her at BMO.

You can definitely have a 19+ event, card patrons at the door and refuse entry to anyone who isn't of age. In fact the AGCO encourages that licensees do this.

Archived