League 1 Ontario...What's Going On!

mmd

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello!!

Some official news for League 1 Ontario and soccer fans....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s84fu_qWXdY

NOBBY SOLANO comes to coach Internacional de Toronto. They will play at Lamport Stadium, Liberty Village team.

He arrives april 22 to watch and select players from tryouts and scouting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huGe1xMRbCs

Played in top soccer leagues...with Maradona, Shearer, coached by B Robson.... a great personality and a privilege to our city.

Technically and Tactically he has a lot to give...

Best and welcome to Toronto Nobby!!

Given the name and the coach, I assume this team is going to be a Dynamo Latino (obscure NSL reference for those who have followed this stuff for many decades) or Chivas USA sort of thing? Good to see that the no ethnic clubs let's all play an Alf Ramsey 442 types were not listened to. It's a bit of a coup getting him to the GTA, given the last club he managed was Universitario, probably Peru's top club (maybe Alianza are bigger, not an expert on that) and one of the giants of the game in South America.

Given the name and the coach, I assume this team is going to be a Dynamo Latino (obscure NSL reference for those who have followed this stuff for many decades) or Chivas USA sort of thing? Good to see that the no ethnic clubs let's all play an Alf Ramsey 442 types were not listened to. It's a bit of a coup getting him to the GTA, given the last club he managed was Universitario, probably Peru's top club (maybe Alianza are bigger, not an expert on that) and one of the giants of the game in South America.

he sees vision and coaching experience in a country like canada. that motivates him and move him....it is a great chance for young players as well. he brings a lot of what we all no have in here... i guess a privilege to have a coach and personality like him for a player...

• 3 weeks later...

^ I think that the past year has shown quite clearly that L1O is all about the last-minute. They are trying to build drama like in a last-minite game-winning goal. Build the tension, make people nervous and then...SUPRISE! Something happens.

I mean, it's not like they need to sell tickets or build media interest in the upcoming season. Soccer fans in Ontario are just hanigng around outside stadiums on the off-chance a game might be played right?

The Solano coaching in the GTA? Wow... What an opportunity for young players to get exposure to a real professional and to learn from him. I'm personally very excited about the direction of these new D3s. There are legitimate criticisms of the new league in Ontario, but it's a step in the right direction. We need this to happen nation wide, and these clubs should all have access to the Voyageurs Cup.

The Toronto Lynx PDL Men played the League 1 Internacional de Toronto team today in an Exhibition match at Sheridan College. The Toronto Lynx scored one in each half, for a final of 2 - 0 Lynx.

The Lynx are preparing for their PDL season opener next weekend vs KW United at Sheridan College, and are still missing a few key NCAA players returning early this week.  U20 Lynx players made up the numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Ted stop...just stop.

Sure, but you will need to be more specific. :)

Stop expressing my opinion on the poor decision-making of the CSA brass that put us here?

Stop wanting Ontario (and the rest of Canada) to have a legitimate, profesional third division that actually helps the development of players for the national team?

Stop offering feedback to whomever is in charge of L1O that they could use to improve their league?

My last comment in this thread before your request was on the fact that two weeks before the start of the 2014 season the league website did not have a schedule of matches.

Is that acceptable to you?

CSL actually redid their website and it's surprisingly good: http://canadiansoccerleague.ca/

I'm really pulling for L1O this year but so far there's been no website, small trickles of information and the club crests have just been awful. I know crests may seem like a small detail, but it's not. It gives people their first impression of your club and if it's terrible than you're probably not going to move much merchandise either. 

Guys,

As someone involved on the periphery of this launch, let me say this, if anyone is expecting a slick, polished marketing vehicle out of the launch of League1 you are going to be disappointed.

Leagues/teams have started with a big splash before, yet once the initial excitement wears off, the realization that there was little substance behind the splash sets in and the long term viability becomes a concern.

The purpose of League1 was not to produce a ready-made pro league with ready made teams ready to spend like pro clubs. The planning for this league centred around providing a structure to allow for the organic development of clubs to reach the pro level, rather than search out 'franchises', give them flashy names and logos and drop them into a league.  You may not agree with the approach, but there it is.

The 10 founding organizations are coming in with very different backgrounds.  Some have pro experience from other leagues; some have brought in overseas expertise; some have a stockpile of young talent that need an outlet to be showcased; and others are looking to build upon their presence in their local community.

League1 was created so there is something in place to allow organizations like these to plan for the future, and to know that if it their intention to expand into the professional ranks, there is a place to go.

The first few seasons will likely be low-key and focused mainly on the product on the field.  Some organizations may not able able to maintain a presence at this level, while others that were not quite ready for 2014 may step up.  Once the clubs establish their footing, I have no doubt you will start seeing more focused efforts on the marketing, branding and other revenue generating areas that will help ensure long term survival. 

For now, be content to be able to go out to a game, pay a few bucks, watch some decent soccer and know that you may be witnessing the first steps of the long term plan that will create a vibrant semi-pro culture across the province with mulitple tiers and teams in every community.

The first few seasons will likely be low-key and focused mainly on the product on the field.  Some organizations may not able able to maintain a presence at this level, while others that were not quite ready for 2014 may step up.  Once the clubs establish their footing, I have no doubt you will start seeing more focused efforts on the marketing, branding and other revenue generating areas that will help ensure long term survival. 

Wow, and I thought the CSA was the most incompetent organization in Canadian Soccer.

You cannot "establish your footing" as a club without marketing and revenue. If anyone in your organization seriously believes what you have written above then they should banned from any further involvement in professional soccer.

As corrupt and as bad as they were, it looks like the CSL should have been sanctioned instead of this joke of a provincial league.

That's how the PLSQ started. They started with 5 clubs and only 2 of them are still around and it helped clubs/regional associations to bring more prepared teams.

Now we're at 6 clubs that are stronger because of it and even 2 expansion clubs for next year including one in Québec City. The CSL looks more like our local African leagues in Quebec, a good level, but it doesn't really help our goal to help Canadian Soccer (I'm talking about the 1st division, the 2nd division is different).

That's how the PLSQ started.

And the PLSQ is a success why?

Does it employ players?

Has it "sold" players up the ladder?

Does the average game attract >1,000 paying spectators?

Can you point to anything other than surviving with a high turnover of teams as evidence of the "success" of the league?

It seems to me that both PLSQ and L1O are aiming so low as to be meaningless. BC has had the PCSL for 50+ years doing what your leagues are doing and very few people would suggest that it has had any effect on the strength of our national team whatsoever.

ADDENDUM:

You only have to look south of the Border here in Cascadia to see how a regional league should be done: Evergreen Premier League of Washington. They have put the operation together in a year.

And the PLSQ is a success why?

Does it employ players?

Has it "sold" players up the ladder?

Does the average game attract >1,000 paying spectators?

Can you point to anything other than surviving with a high turnover of teams as evidence of the "success" of the league?

It seems to me that both PLSQ and L1O are aiming so low as to be meaningless. BC has had the PCSL for 50+ years doing what your leagues are doing and very few people would suggest that it has had any effect on the strength of our national team whatsoever.

It takes time oh and PLSQ have to employ a minimum of 9 players per team. It doesn't sell players, but a guy like Mayard who played in PLSQ last year before being sold to Rochester and is now playing for Ottawa. 

How many clubs attract 1000 paying spectators? Name me one club that attracts that much in a regional league. It's hard to see that. 

The success is more based because they started with clubs, but now it's more the regional associations who run their PLSQ team because people in the Gatineau region couldn't agree on how to represent their region. You see this thing that happened in Lanaudière with L'Assomption. You have the same thing in Québec city and Laval next year. You want the clubs to aspire to something greater and before that didn't exist since the death of the former semi-pro league that existed in Québec in the 80's. You can't create a league with a magic wand, it takes time to build it and the league has a clear goal and a direction it wants to take, the clubs know it, the future clubs know it and it might take time before it's what the league envisioned from the start, but you have to work for it.

Ted, stick to reliving the glory of your CUSL blueprint days. Your boorish comments are tiresome and irrelevant the Ontario soccer scene.

The fact that you give any credence to the CSL, an organization I have been involved with, tells me all I need to know about the value of your comments. (Not to mentioned the childish way you choose to make them)

So a very tight schedule between May 30th to October 5th.  

Nine home and nine away games.  No playoffs, I get it.   

So when will they squeeze in the Cup games?   Wednesdays?  October weekends?

Four to seven games per team depending on if the team advances out of their group of five, then semi-final, then Cup final.

When will that schedule come out?  or will the group games be just regular season games counting towards advancement to the semi-final? 

Cup schedule's supposed to be out in the next few days. I'd expect Monday or Tuesday.

In terms of when games will be played, in looking at the schedule for any given team, you can easily tell where those games will be slotted in, as there are some well-defined breaks along the way.

Also, Ted, last year, Kingston FC was one of the top drawing CSL teams (if not the top). They averaged under 300 spectators per 1st division game, and maybe 20-25 for 2nd division games. For 2-3 games, they drew more, but that's it.

It takes time oh and PLSQ have to employ a minimum of 9 players per team. It doesn't sell players, but a guy like Mayard who played in PLSQ last year before being sold to Rochester and is now playing for Ottawa. 

OK, that actually sounds like progress. These are actually results worth talking about and something to build on.

Well done.

How many clubs attract 1000 paying spectators? Name me one club that attracts that much in a regional league. It's hard to see that. 

Victoria Highlanders, Northwest Region of the PDL.

Keep in mind however that what we are talking about is not just some regional leagues but a supposedly D3 PROFESSIONAL league system offered by the CSA as a replacement for their abandonment of a national D3.

Average attendances of 300 people per game are pathetic from a business perspective and should be an embarrasement for a D3 not a point of pride.

You can't create a league with a magic wand, it takes time to build it and the league has a clear goal and a direction it wants to take, the clubs know it, the future clubs know it and it might take time before it's what the league envisioned from the start, but you have to work for it.

You are so right. But from my perspective simpy picking a bunch of teams and calling them a D3 league IS using a  "magic wand" approach.

Building a league requires a coherent marketing strategy and business plan. It requires planning and coordination of proffessional staff. More than anything else it requires sufficient money to back it up.

Ted, stick to reliving the glory of your CUSL blueprint days. Your boorish comments are tiresome and irrelevant the Ontario soccer scene.

LOL, I fail to see how offering criticism of current efforts is in any way "reliving the glory" since there is neither nostaligia in my comments nor glory in my experience with the CUSL team. Nice straw man argument.

As for, "boorish", tiresome" and "irrelevant", well all these loaded words do nothing more than highlight your total failure to address any of the legitmate concerns I have raised.

The fact that you give any credence to the CSL, an organization I have been involved with, tells me all I need to know about the value of your comments. (Not to mentioned the childish way you choose to make them)

Well, I think name-calling and personal attacks are childish, YMMV.

As for giving credence to the CSL, you totally missed the point (yet again). I have been vociferous in my condemnation and outrage about the CSL. I publicly supported the CSA <gasp> in their decision to remove sanction from these clowns.

What I was trying to do was make clear how horrific the situation with L1O when it appears  a criminal organization, operating outside the law that is the FIFA system, looks more organized and better run than they do.

Look, I would love L1O to succeed and join together with other leagues to create  a national D3 system that nurtures our players and provides a competitive pro team in more Canadian communities. In order to do that however they need to improve significantly and quickly otherwise the USL Pro route looks even more attractive with every additional team added - especially when affiliated with MLS clubs.

• 2 months later...

Archived