League 1 Ontario...What's Going On!

mmd

Has anyone heard anything about what is going on with LEAGUE 1 ONTARIO???

The last time anything was up dated was APRIL 2012 on the website.

Are CSL teams moving over if they fit the requirements????

Why is it that Quebec's D3 League will be entering a 2nd season and there is NO NEWS/UPDATES for L1O????

Very frustrating.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most likely scenario is that the sanctioning of the CSL by the OSA will incorporate the principles of the Ontario League One. There are numerous articles stating that the CSA has had talks with OSA & CSL about sanctioning and there wasn't an overwhelming amount of teams that qualified for League One. The other possibility is that some CSL teams become a part of League One in order to continue operations and possibly gain advantage in league ownership and leadership. Interesting to see how it all rolls out but there are definitely conflicting information....more to do with the CSA's lack of public relations.

http://www.nextsportstar.com/index.php/show/anthony-totera-february-13-2013/

26 Minute - OSA President Smale says he can't comment on the CSL being sanctioned by the OSA because he has NOT been notified by the CSA.

There is so much misinformation about this subject that you really have to question the leadership at the CSA.

He also says, "...obviously we'll be there to support whatever we have to support...", so I think he is just making the point that information has been leaked into the public domain prematurely by Ben Rycroft based on anonymous sources. It doesn't necessarily mean that the CSA, or the CSL for that matter, have yet to be in contact with him about it informally.

I can't see L1O existing without some of the CSL teams, due to the lack of organization from OSA & the CSA.

And Montreal Impact Academy would play in the existing Quebec D3.

Surprised Dino Rossi from Milton FC who spear headed this idea has not said a word since.

Think it's understandable that he has said nothing publicly. He was a "friend of the show" where the It's Called Football podcast is/was concerned, as were some of the other key players in this, so the Canadian Soccer News guys are likely to be the best informed as to what is going on in terms of rumours heard on the grapevine. This is the latest in that sort of vein:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?4191-TFC-academy-likely-without-league

The CSA directed the CSL to apply to the Ontario Soccer Association for sanctioning for 2013. However, it seems unlikely that the OSA will sanction the CSL as a professional league.

The OSA is working towards launching the new Ontario 1 league in 2013 and rules prevent the provincial body from sanctioning more than one pro league.

Sources stress that the CSL will operate in 2013, but that the only way it could do so as a professional operation is if the OSA changed its rules to allow further sanctioning.

26 Minute - OSA President Smale says he can't comment on the CSL being sanctioned by the OSA because he has NOT been notified by the CSA.

There is so much misinformation about this subject that you really have to question the leadership at the CSA.

Earth to DigTFC welcome to the world of disfunctional leadership at the CSA.

CSL just tweeted this about an hour ago:

"1179 Twitter followers in just over a year - incredible! Let's get to 1200 by March 1st. A lot of exciting #CSLsoccer news coming very soon!"

Given the lack of news or updates from the L1O side, I suspect things aren't looking too good for them in any behind the scenes work or discussions that may or may not be happening re: OSA sanctioning.

Given the lack of news or updates from the L1O side, I suspect things aren't looking too good for them in any behind the scenes work or discussions that may or may not be happening re: OSA sanctioning.

That's the way it looked to me as well until I saw Anthony Totera and Ron Smale on the video clip posted by DigzTFC. Worth the effort to take a look if you haven't watched the portion from 26:00 onwards:

There are newspaper stories that are very much in the public domain in which Victor Montagliani is said to have told reporters that he has met with CSL and OSA officials to facilitate the sanctioning of the CSL for 2013:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/02/04/canadian_soccer_association_division_2_report/

Montagliani said the CSL would operate under the auspices of the Ontario Soccer Association, and said he's already met with CSL and OSA officials to facilitate the league's sanctioning under the OSA.

So Ron Smale talking about a lack of official notification from the CSA on the subject in response to the question from Anthony Totera and going as far as stating that he didn't know where the guy who sent the tweet was getting his information was one of the more bizarre things to happen in Canadian soccer in recent years and there is plenty of competition on that.

Odds on there will be some sort of officially sanctioned D3 league in southern Ontario this summer, but I don't think it is safe to assume that there will be a seamless transition for the CSL in that regard with all its officials from the 2010 to 2012 era when they had CSA rather than OSA sanctioning remaining in place and continuing to call the shots.

Alberta Soccer ‏@AlbertaSoccer

ASA TD off to Saskatoon to meet with Sask. and Man. TD's in regard to a possible Western HPL prior to attending CSA TD meetings in Toronto!

Hopefully, after the CSA TD meetings we will know more. But frankly, the way they communicate with the public, I would be surprised if they had an announcement until a few weeks before the season.

I was on the PLSQ website. As mentioned before they are now entering their 2nd season.

This year they will have 7 teams. I later went to wikipedia, not always reliable of course, and it mentioned that they were hoping to have Montreal Impact Academy as an 8th Team.

I'm starting to really respect the go for it attitude of Quebec Sports as opposed to Ontario's lets set up a study group and look at the pros and cons.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the answers on L1O appear to be in this letter on the CSL's website:

http://canadiansoccerleague.com/Letter_to_CSA_Feb_4-2013.pdf

If the letter is accurate, there were only 4 teams ready to participate in L1O in 2013 and the plan appears to have been to merge L1O and the CSL under the CSL's name with the OSA rather than the CSA providing the sanctioning.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone have any L10 news? Can we assume the clubs that jumped ship from the sinking CSL will now be playing under the L10 flag? I assume we wont see play this year, but can we expect to see the league up and running in 2014? 2015?

• 2 weeks later...

I found it interesting that the Windsor Stars were looking to get into the Ontario Cup. More semi-pro vs non-amateur non-sense? The more I hear, the more I put some blame of the CSA to get these players a and clubs a league to play in. Is it fair that "pro" teams last year are suddenly amateur?

• 7 months later...

Archived