League 1 Ontario...What's Going On!

mmd

This means that it is clearly game over now for the CSL as a sanctioned league (the accepted applicants for the new league will be announced two weeks after the CSL loses its CSA sanctioning and the OSA can only sanction one D3 level semi-pro level league). Since no provision has been made for a merger, the CSL's member franchises have a shot at getting into L1O if they make an application, but don't appear to have any guarantee of being accepted. L1O makes provision for amateur entries as well as semi-pro ones, which is clearly aimed at accommodating TFC Academy. Full details on how the league operates are here:

http://www.ontariosoccer.net/Portals/11/ltpd/Application%20Package%20for%20League%20Entry%20November%202013.pdf

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I have a few questions about the standards/would like to add some:

- There's no standards for highlights/video (pregame, game in six, postgame)

- There's no standards for online media (a website)

- There's no standards with regards to club naming (no ethnic names please)

- There's no standards with regards to club naming (no ethnic names please)

Why even raise a divisive issue like this when it's clear things are naturally moving in the direction you want, anyway? I seriously doubt that the Serbian White Eagles and Toronto Croatia are going to be interested in the new U-23 format. Open age elite amateur leagues like the OSL will be a better fit for them if/when the CSL ceases to be a factor. The only ethnic social club oriented CSL team that I suspect might move over to L1O (pure speculation on my part based on what they were doing prior to the 2013 season) is St Catherines Roma Wolves and they are already half way there to what you want.

If they want to make this semi-pro there absolutely has to be media/video minimum standards. A weekly online streamed game, and match highlights for every match being two.

I think this is very important not just for the promotion of the league and teams but for the player. If the idea is to provide players to the national team we need players leaving this league and going to a higher one. That means promoting the player which would require a highlight film. Similar to Wyscout.

I'd also like to see a league all-star team go on a European tour. And of course, league champion entry in to the Canadian Championship.

Why would they need to stabilize?

The earlier rounds would only include D3 clubs anyway, so if they could afford to have the league champion go on to the V-Cup, it wouldn't change much.

Sorry there was no format provided.

So instead of the league champion it would be a bracket type elimination process that would precede the amyway championship round that included the NASL/MLS teams? Is that correct?

I see two challenges with that is what you're thinking:

1) The MLS/NASL round begins in April

2) It takes away from winning the D3 league.

Sorry there was no format provided.

So instead of the league champion it would be a bracket type elimination process that would precede the amyway championship round that included the NASL/MLS teams? Is that correct?

I see two challenges with that is what you're thinking:

1) The MLS/NASL round begins in April

2) It takes away from winning the D3 league.

Yeah, it could be a cup competition with one-off games like the Open Cup or the FA Cup so D3 teams could enter in May, play a couple of rounds, add the NASL/MLS teams into the mix in April and proceed.

Are you really suggesting that winning the league, whatever your league, suddenly becomes less attractive? Clearly you have never played or watched any sports. I have found, with few exceptions, that the idea of being champions is usually important. ;)

Are you really suggesting that winning the league, whatever your league, suddenly becomes less attractive? Clearly you have never played or watched any sports. I have found, with few exceptions, that the idea of being champions is usually important. ;)

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or how you treat other posters. I sincerely hope its the former.

Think of it this way. If you are a manager and had to prioritize which games were more important:

1) A nationally televised competition for national superiority

2) A league game that is probably not televised

Which would you pick? I would pick the high profile game. But then again what do I know. I don't play or watch sports.

Guest Future CanWNT

I wonder if any of the PDL clubs in Ontario would consider it. Im not sure how the level would compare but it would be pretty cool for them to be able to play in a Canadian league.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or how you treat other posters. I sincerely hope its the former.

OMFG really!?!? Here is a tip: the winky face = sarcasm/joke.

Maybe you should get your great-grandchilden to show you how to work the intertubes. ;)

Think of it this way. If you are a manager and had to prioritize which games were more important:

1) A nationally televised competition for national superiority

2) A league game that is probably not televised

Which would you pick? I would pick the high profile game. But then again what do I know. I don't play or watch sports.

Whoa, you are waaaay off the topic here. On a per-game basis any coach/manager will prioritize and choose a squad based on the realistic goals and aspirations of the club.

That however does not in any way take, "away from winning the D3 league." If winning your league is so meaningless that it is trumped by entry into the Voyageurs Cup tournament then your league is totally pointless.

What you are proposing would be like telling the USL Pro clubs in the states (and all other clubs below them) that only the league champion would gain entry to the Open Cup competition. Do you see how absurd that would be?

Anthony Totera has interviewed Ron Smale the president of the OSA, about what is planned for L1O:

http://www.nextsportstar.com/index.php/show/red-card-november-21st-2013/

Teams from Windsor and Kingston mentioned as being in contact along with the Thunder Bay Chill of PDL. League seen as an interim arrangement until OPDL is in full swing. Door is open to teams from the CSL. Looking at a 20-22 game season (14-16 regular season plus cup and playoffs). Late April to early Oct season. Pro-Am league concept has been endorsed by the CSA so that players can retain CIS and NCAA eligibility. Academies can apply, but couple of rule changes still needed to get them in.

• 2 months later...
The academy rule changes are up in RFDs to be decided by the OSA board on Dec 5/6.

Did that actually get passed OK?

The OSA delayed the application deadline for L1O by about two weeks, so maybe no shock we have not heard an L1O announcement yet, but would have thought it should be happening soon, if there is going to be any activity on that this summer.

Will be interesting to find out what is being hinted at (if anything) in the offthepitch.ca thread:

http://offthepitch.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7640

The RFDs about Academy stuff were withdrawn that morning and delayed for further evaluation, discussion, and reworking.

I do suspect that we'll hear something about L1O within the next week or so though. Delaying much after mid-March could jeopardize a late April start (based on the OPDL schedule).

The RFDs about Academy stuff were withdrawn that morning and delayed for further evaluation, discussion, and reworking

Not true for the RFD regarding access to League 1. Recognized academies now have permanent access to OSL, OWSL and League 1 (previously it was year-to-year for OSL and OWSL).

No less than 3 academies were involved in the League 1 application process...

Not true for the RFD regarding access to League 1. Recognized academies now have permanent access to OSL, OWSL and League 1 (previously it was year-to-year for OSL and OWSL).

Ah, I missed that bit. I saw the bit about changing the discipline procedures for those leagues, but missed the ORNCA bit in there. Thanks for catching my error!

Archived