U 20 Women's World Cup

mtlfan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Zealand and Nigeria looked impressive to me. They should be able to get out of their group and maybe beyond that. Mexico was a bit of disappointment. I was surprised they still can play their GK Santiago. She never seems to get older. But I think she has lost some of her ability as she has gotten older.

Canada 5-0 Argentina at the half. No, really. Goals from Zadorski (penalty), Sawicki, and an Adriana Leon hat trick. Seriously. Barroso got sent off for Argentina on the tackle that led to Zadorski's penalty; that didn't help of course but Canada is smoking Argentina. This isn't even a game. Little Red close to 70% possession.

I think we have a very good basis for 2015 here although much tougher tests will come with North Korea and Norway.

I agree. With some of the veteran players CanWNT has right now combined with the players taking part in U20, I think the national team will be very good. There should be a nice combo there.

It was an impressive bloody game. Argentina's a poor side but they're not "should lose 6-0 to Canada" poor; we just took them down brutally in the first half then whiled away the second half conserving energy and moving the ball. What a spectacular thumping. I've seldom seen any Canadian team at any level play a game like that.

Looked like Argentina had a player sent off at the first goal early in the match so we shouldn't get too excited.

They did, but it was a ghastly tackle that fully earned the red and playing with ten women was the least of their problems. The Argies had an early chance on a somewhat flukey dipping shot from distance; that aside Canada earned the penalty with a steady attack and just flattened Argentina as soon as they got the advantage. It was excellently played. I'm not saying "plan the parade"; I'm saying the game was magnificently executed.

I agree. With some of the veteran players CanWNT has right now combined with the players taking part in U20, I think the national team will be very good. There should be a nice combo there.

I hope Herdman saw this game on TV since he was not arriving in Japan until after the game. Most of our U20 players looked very good.

I hope Herdman saw this game on TV since he was not arriving in Japan until after the game. Most of our U20 players looked very good.

I hope so too. I haven't been wowed by a young player in awhile, but Jaclyn Sawicki was something else today. She was solid on both ends of the pitch and was relentless. She's small, but so talented and fast.

I hope so too. I haven't been wowed by a young player in awhile, but Jaclyn Sawicki was something else today. She was solid on both ends of the pitch and was relentless. She's small, but so talented and fast.

Yes she was very good. Also Leon knows how to finish, 3 beauties, Adriana Leon also will be known as one of the finest looking girls in this tournament.

Had the chance to watch the full game and Argentina completely fell apart when their player was sent off.

In the first few minutes of the game Argentina did not look bad, they had good touch on the ball while the Canadian women were obviously very nervous and their touch was off and slow. The positive is that despite apparent nerves, they were playing patiently. It all changed after that first goal, the Canadians' confidence soared and the Argentines just gave up trying to win the game.

I too really liked Sawicki and thought that Wu also did a great job in midfield. Was a bit annoyed with Reed who kept getting them mixed up and went on and on about Wu's goal...when it was Sawicki's. They both have great skill and like Matheson play like they are 6'4" and 200lbs.

Leon really has a great nose for the goal and is really solid, staying up despite some really strong tackling. Richardson has a great touch on the ball, calm under pressure and has some beautiful moves, but I would say that until she packs on some muscle, she will be handicapped with a girl's body in a woman's game. Despite way too many offsides I liked Exeter, she is solid and selfless, holding the ball and making the plays rather than take the shot the defence is expecting. Back four were very well organized, though I thought Legault Cordisco's touch was off for the first half...nerves maybe.

A great start for the Canadian team, but I would say that going forward, clean quick first touches will be required as they will face far more pressure on the ball than they did today. That will be the key to maintaining posession and building those attacks like we saw today.

Just finished watching the full game. I must say as much as our girls controlled the game, played extremely well It was a game of 10 vs 11 for 80min. No matter how you cut it being 1 player down hurts a lot. It aslo surprised me that Argentina's coach did Not change his team formation into a more defensive one (5-3-2) once they were down 3-0........But it is great to see that we have some potential in our team. The THIRD game will show us more what our team is capabale of, I am not too overly worried about our girls playing Norway. But DPRK will make our girls sweat a lot more I say.

We are playing NORWAY on the 23rd August at 7pm(KOBE Time)

We are playing DPRK on the 27th August at 7pm(SAITAMA Time)

Just finished watching the full game. I must say as much as our girls controlled the game, played extremely well It was a game of 10 vs 11 for 80min. No matter how you cut it being 1 player down hurts a lot. It aslo surprised me that Argentina's coach did Not change his team formation into a more defensive one (5-3-2) once they were down 3-0........But it is great to see that we have some potential in our team. The THIRD game will show us more what our team is capabale of, I am not too overly worried about our girls playing Norway. But DPRK will make our girls sweat a lot more I say.

We are playing NORWAY on the 23rd August at 7pm(KOBE Time)

We are playing DPRK on the 27th August at 7pm(SAITAMA Time)

Is there a site where I can view full games on time delayed.

Just stopping by to add to your conversation. Canada played a smart, possession oriented game. Very beautiful to see. There are three teams I am following in this World Cup, Canada, United States and Mexico. Since I follow women's college football, all 3 of these sides have quite a few college players playing on their squads.

Don't be too hard on Jenna Richardson, I think Jenna wanted to get into the goal scoring parade, so she was trying alittle too hard, but she played a very good game. Her pace is unmatched by anyone, she has Alex Morgan type pace and that is a very rare gift to have.

Jaclyn Sawicki impressed me alot, she was the holding Midfielder on the team. Played the ball very effectively and moved it around with ease. I'm very surprised she isn't playing with an American College, she would get more exposure there, but she is a gem, and quite a valuable part of Canada's midfield. The one touch passing is a hall mark of well coached team. I really enjoyed how the Canadian midfield were linking passes to their forwards or providing service to outside backs making bombing runs. Again I must emphasis Canada played a wonderful beautiful game.

I was watching the game on Eurosport, the british casters were wondering why the Canadians were taking it easy in the second half, they said if they were the coach, they would tell their players to keep pouring the attack on. Very bloodthristy these Brits.

I don't see much problems for Canada in group play, in fact I see them winning their group. North Korea could be a problem, but I don't believe that will be the case.

A few observations.

Argentina played with a high line in the second half, trying to compress the field. It was risky, but paid off, as a lot of very marginal offside calls went against us. Score could have been quite a bit higher with a better assistant ref.

I notice that Canada and hosts Japan are the only two teams who get to play all their group games in the evening, avoiding the worst of the heat.

Canada's profile page on the official tournament site lists our only key outfield players as forward Christabel Oduro, who didn't play in the opener, and forward Amelia Pietrangelo, who is not on the roster. I hope our opponents do as thorough a job of scouting :P

Top two teams advance and we are on the tough side of the draw. Our group crosses over with Group D, so it should be either USA or Germany in the quarterfinals.

A few observations.

Argentina played with a high line in the second half, trying to compress the field. It was risky, but paid off, as a lot of very marginal offside calls went against us. Score could have been quite a bit higher with a better assistant ref.

I notice that Canada and hosts Japan are the only two teams who get to play all their group games in the evening, avoiding the worst of the heat.

Canada's profile page on the official tournament site lists our only key outfield players as forward Christabel Oduro, who didn't play in the opener, and forward Amelia Pietrangelo, who is not on the roster. I hope our opponents do as thorough a job of scouting :P

Top two teams advance and we are on the tough side of the draw. Our group crosses over with Group D, so it should be either USA or Germany in the quarterfinals.

I noticed as well that at least one offside call on Exeter was wrong and another was premature. Some assistant referees simply don't know what they must be looking for offside calls. I believe that the problem stems from countries associations who send lists of their "better" referees to FIFA for these tournaments. Obviously some of these countries don't have adequate training of their referees or they think they are good enough. FIFA ought to do a more selective job in accepting the proposed officials and not just take anyone.

................. I believe that the problem stems from countries associations who send lists of their "better" referees to FIFA for these tournaments. Obviously some of these countries don't have adequate training of their referees or they think they are good enough. FIFA ought to do a more selective job in accepting the proposed officials and not just take anyone.

FIFA has decided to discriminate against women players as the women are not entitled to the best referees as FIFA bans all men from these tournaments.

Jaclyn Sawicki impressed me alot, she was the holding Midfielder on the team. Played the ball very effectively and moved it around with ease. I'm very surprised she isn't playing with an American College, she would get more exposure there, but she is a gem, and quite a valuable part of Canada's midfield.

Bison Desiree Scott, Huskie Kaylyn Kyle and Sawicki are poster girls for the CIS. Obviously under respected.

Canada's profile page on the official tournament site lists our only key outfield players as forward Christabel Oduro, who didn't play in the opener...I hope our opponents do as thorough a job of scouting :P

I don't believe Olivieri played his best eleven against Argentina, thinking they're the minnows of the group. I'd expect to see Oduro and possibly Ezurike against Norway, unless they're injured or unfit, of which I'd have no knowledge.

Archived