U 20 Women's World Cup

mtlfan

Bison Desiree Scott and Sawicki are poster girls for the CIS. Obviously under respected.

I'm not sure it is that underrespected at the women's level, anyway, except by the cares-about-women's-soccer-once-every-four-years crowd who aren't worth taking seriously as analysts. (I'd say the CIS men's game deserves more respect than it gets.)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally it is happening our girls are playing the possesion game and it seems very smartly and to a tee.

Intelligent and great decision making,controlling and passing the ball,no more hoofing and the timing of the tackling is also very good.

Obviously the coaching has dramatically changed and these girls will have no problem making it to the first team if called upon.Can't wait for tomorrows game.

I'm not sure it is that underrespected at the women's level, anyway, except by the cares-about-women's-soccer-once-every-four-years crowd who aren't worth taking seriously as analysts. (I'd say the CIS men's game deserves more respect than it gets.)

They're underrepresented viewed from the lens of an American which seems to be the perspective of the earlier comment about Sawicki.

From an Cdn perspective, whether you play in NCAA or CIS, there isn't much exposure either way.

From the perspective of the Cdn national team, given the path taken by players like Sawicki and Scott have led to the development of uncommon football skillsets in comparison to your typical NCAA women's soccer player and players in the Cdn national team pool, CIS players are being overlooked.

I have to retract what I said earlier that Cecilia Santiago had lost some of her goalkeeping ability. In yesterday's game of Mexico 2 - Switzerland 0, Santiago was spectacular, pulling some incredible saves as if they were routine. There was no way the Swiss girls could get past Santiago. Mexico's next game against New Zealand will be good to watch.

I'm trying not too be too critical of Canada's coach, but he has done this before in the qualifying, where he would make some serious changes to the shape of his team and defend a lead. Its come back to bite him more then once now. He needs to learn not to turtle everytime he has a lead.

When he subbed Ezurike out and replaced her with Dumont who is a midfielder, you know right away Canada was going from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2. Why would he do this? Then when Canada fell behind, he switched his shape again by subbing Wu out and putting Exeter in. By then you didn't have a true holding midfielder to help provide service to the forwards.

Danica Wu I thought played poorly, too many aimless passes forward, not enough service to the outside and certainly not enough to the forwards. Jaclyn Sawicki hopefully will start for Wu and they should keep Christabel Oduro in, she showed alot of spark.

The backline for Canada though, they were terrible, they allowed Norway to make so many runs into the box. I don't blame them entirely though, their midfield didn't give them much support. Hopefully Canada can come back and play like I know they can against North Korea, but they will be very tough.

The World Cup is still very much up in the air. The United States tied with China, so now they need to win against Germany or potentially they could be knocked out if China wins against Ghana and scores enough goals. Every group is still undecided yet which is refreshing. Brazil needs to win, or they are out, and In Group A, Japan, New Zealand and Mexico are in a dog fight. A tie is very dangerous for any team in that group.

Canada loses 2-1 to Norway.

Missed the game, anyone see it? How did we look? I thought we would have taken care of Norway. Disappointing

Norway had a penalty stopped by Sabriana D'Angelo early in the match. Richardson missed 3 easy goals before finally scoring. Leon was pushed up in the second half and Canada laid back providing Norway with the room to attack.

Bad coaching and a terrible performance by Richardson puts Canada in a must win situation versus North Korea.

Norway had a penalty stopped by Sabriana D'Angelo early in the match. Richardson missed 3 easy goals before finally scoring. Leon was pushed up in the second half and Canada laid back providing Norway with the room to attack.

Bad coaching and a terrible performance by Richardson puts Canada in a must win situation versus North Korea.

I agree. When those easy chances were being missed, I was very worried it would come back and haunt us. Could have been up by 3-0 at the half, or 3-1 if PK was scored. IF, if, all doesn't matter now.

On both goals against, we had midfielders that were diving in with half attempts at challenges. The first goal, Norway came down the wing and went right to the post, firing a shot between keepers legs, which was then tapped in for the goal. can't fault keeper really, the shot was about 2-3 yrds away, no time to react. There were several chances to stop the progression on the wing, it looked more like the defending winger was too tired to keep up, or didn't want to exert the effort to tackle.

Second goal was from a shot about 25 yards out, give or take, and when you see the replays if it shows a few seconds before the shot, we had a few attempts to challenge, but dived in or took sweeps at the ball. Must do better.

Korea is beatable, however there are definitely one of the best. Didn't they win the U17 WC 2 years ago?

That second half was awful awful awful awful. (The first half was good, borderline excellent, but the Norwegians made adjustments to move the ball quickly through the Canadian midfield that was causing them trouble and Olivieri stood there gawking with his thumb up his butt before changing fullbacks for some reason.)

Taking off Wu for Exeter, when Wu was probably Canada's woman of the match and Exeter was completely devoid of technical ability and out of her depth against Argentina, is one of the very worst substitutions I've seen in a long damned time.

PROTIP: don't trust coaching of a major national team to a guy who works at the local level and has only been coaching full-time for three damned years. There are literally hundreds of coaches in Canada better-qualified than Olivieri, but sadly not many who've been involved in the national team as a player and have buddies talking them up in Metcalfe Street.

Biggest problem was overall terrible passing in the second half and defense lacks pace.

Norway pressured more in the second half and Canadian players had obvious difficult time making decisions. Poor move substituting Wu, our offense basically ended right there - buildup pretty much disappeared. Richarson has shown after two games that she needs clear breakaways with no defender pressuring her and keeper showing her half the net before she can score. Will need far better finishing than we've shown so far to have any chance at all against NK. Kind of hectic trying to get ready for work and watch game at same time for sure.

We must say it did bring us to reality that maybe the Argentina game would have been completely different with 11 vs 11

No. Being down one man for 83 minutes is not worth anywhere near 5 goals, counting the team taking the foot off the gas at half. It is worth, maybe, two.

We must say it did bring us to reality that maybe the Argentina game would have been completely different with 11 vs 11

That thought crossed my mind too. I echo a lot of the statements in the thread. I felt there was a hesitation from the squad, especially when it came to supporting the defenders. I'm not sure what's going to happen in the Korea DPR game. I think size might be an issue for the Canadians.

That second half was awful awful awful awful. (The first half was good, borderline excellent, but the Norwegians made adjustments to move the ball quickly through the Canadian midfield that was causing them trouble and Olivieri stood there gawking with his thumb up his butt before changing fullbacks for some reason.)

Taking off Wu for Exeter, when Wu was probably Canada's woman of the match and Exeter was completely devoid of technical ability and out of her depth against Argentina, is one of the very worst substitutions I've seen in a long damned time.

PROTIP: don't trust coaching of a major national team to a guy who works at the local level and has only been coaching full-time for three damned years. There are literally hundreds of coaches in Canada better-qualified than Olivieri, but sadly not many who've been involved in the national team as a player and have buddies talking them up in Metcalfe Street.

Agree totally! There were others who should have been there instead of him. Anyhow lets hope the girls save his ass, for Canada's sake.

Biggest problem was overall terrible passing in the second half and defense lacks pace.

Norway pressured more in the second half and Canadian players had obvious difficult time making decisions. Poor move substituting Wu, our offense basically ended right there - buildup pretty much disappeared. Richarson has shown after two games that she needs clear breakaways with no defender pressuring her and keeper showing her half the net before she can score. Will need far better finishing than we've shown so far to have any chance at all against NK. Kind of hectic trying to get ready for work and watch game at same time for sure.

Look don't take this too personally, I am a big fan of Jenna Richardson, but you need to understand how a coaching descision can change a game. When you move from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2, its a given to bring more offense to a pitch, you need to move your outside backs forward to provide space for your 2 forwards. Without that, a team can close on the 2 forwards and mark them out of the game, which is what happenned in the Norway game.

Canada in the second half were not pushing their outside backs forward, which meant they were in a defensive shell. Its fine if a team does switch to a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2, either can work, but when you aren't pushing a back up the pitch, what this does, it allows the oppossing team to move their backline forward. If you look at the Argentina game, you saw this exactly, they were so far up forward that they were keeping the bulk of the play inside Canada's side and it happenned again with Norway. So in the Norway game, you saw Norway playing very direct, they had their midfielders attacking Canada's backline directly, because of Norway moving so far up the pitch, Canada's midfield had a very tough time organizing to counter any pushes by Norways outside backs or from the midfield.

With all that in mind, its very obvious why Jenna disappeared in the second half, there was no service to her, because there were no outside backs coming forward to force Norway's backline wide. Then to compound this, Canada took Wu out who was their best holding midfielder and went back into a 4-3-3 to create offense. But how do you create offense when you can't regain possession and build it up in the midfield? So we ended up seeing later in the game, Canada trying to longball it forward because the Midfield was clogged by Norway.

I don't blame Jenna one bit for disappearing in the second half, she was very dangerous in the first half, but by putting the team into a defensive shell, you can see this comeback happenning. In the qualfiying games, Mexico nearly came back, if not for some brilliant saves by Sabrina D'Angelo and Canada again did it again with the United States and lost that game despite leading 1-0.

I'm going to go out on a limb and offer a suggestion. Canada should put Christabel Oduro as a forward. Have her take the middle, Jenna and Adriana on either side of her. Then have Danica Wu and Jaclyn Sawicki with Robben in the midfield. Those 3 midfielders look to be the best for Canada. Oduro has some great pace and ball moving skills and Jenna can run wide to create havoc on the wings. Adriana provides alot of pressure on an opponents backline, so it would be very hard to mark either Jenna or Adriana effectively with Oduro creating for both of them.

I'm really hoping to see Canada win against North Korea, I want to see these kids play more.

Looked like Argentina had a player sent off at the first goal early in the match so we shouldn't get too excited.

How smart was that advice ! Some were already seeing many of those players in the CWNT for 2015 ! Well they still have lot of work in front of them to get there ! Criticizing girls at that age is cruel. So let's see what went right.

First solid goalkeeping by D'Angelo. Stopped a penalty (taken on a player that was no immediate threat having her back facing our goal) at 0-0. Then stopped a player than ran through the defense getting a breakaway at 1-1. Other good saves. Cannot be imputable for the goals.

Second, Christabel Oduro, that was, in my mind, our best midfield today. Almost tied the game in the dying minutes with a low shot near the post to the right of the keeper that had to make a great diving save to prevent her from scoring. Created opportunities for others too, mainly in the first half.

And last, Janna Ridchardson. Yes, Janna Ridchardson who is blamed by some others. Yes she missed at least four good scoring opportunities but like I use to say, at least she was able to create those opportunities while others haven't. Yes the lady has work to do to improve finition otherwise I doubt she will make the CWNT because at that level you can't afford the luxury to let good opporunities go by. But she has an interesting potential.

I'll have only one blame. You'll see it is nothing nasty. I'll blame Jaclyn Sawicki for sitting on the bench while we would have needed her so much on the field ! But she has nothing to do with that !

Archived