Loan for Russell Tiebert?

nolando

If the Whitecaps win the MLS Cup this year, one of the US clubs must clue in to the fact that we have a massive competitive advantage. Which is why I'm shocked that the Canadian clubs resist the quota so stongly.

I agree the Canadian teams have a competitive advantage (fat lot of good we're doing with it but it's there), but to me that's just more of an explanation for the Canadian teams to resist the quota.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What MLS (and especially the Canadian clubs) need in general is some kind of more formalized agreement between themselves and the USL teams.

Here you have this ready-made infrastructure that is perfect for developing younger players, yet MLS basically eschews it because they don't want to promote competition. With various sign-and-loan agreements in place, the missing step in the ladder would be in place and we'd have a better infrastructure to bring young players though.

Clearly there's still a gap between the level of play of most prospects and the requirements of a MLS team.

The sad thing about a quota is you are forcing a team to have canadian content. My bigger hope would be the system gives enough strong Canadian talent in a few years time that they will have those Canadians WITHOUT a quota forcing them to do so.

The sad thing about a quota is you are forcing a team to have canadian content. My bigger hope would be the system gives enough strong Canadian talent in a few years time that they will have those Canadians WITHOUT a quota forcing them to do so.

It would be nice to happen without, but with guarantees it and I see nothing wrong with that at all. But as Vancouver has shown this year they may choose not to use Canadians and that hurts our development long term.

Without the positive quota for Canadian content, though, you are at a disadvantage in trying to fill the roster with Canadians because they are only recognized as domestics in Canada - competing effectively for spots with Americans where the American rosters don't provide opportunities for Canadian players.

I'd prefer to see the opportunities be equalized across the league. The league is making money on the backs of a disproportionate number of Canadian clubs (and fans) - a ratio of 1:6 for clubs instead of 1:9 for population - so Canadian players should benefit from this outsize support also.

Without the positive quota for Canadian content, though, you are at a disadvantage in trying to fill the roster with Canadians because they are only recognized as domestics in Canada - competing effectively for spots with Americans where the American rosters don't provide opportunities for Canadian players.

I'd prefer to see the opportunities be equalized across the league. The league is making money on the backs of a disproportionate number of Canadian clubs (and fans) - a ratio of 1:6 for clubs instead of 1:9 for population - so Canadian players should benefit from this outsize support also.

You'd hope that this rule in reverse, in America, would persuade them to give another look to Canadian players to fill their domestic requirements, though, as well?

But no, I do agree the quota is necessary. I was just talking theoretically, in an ideal world.

I agree the Canadian teams have a competitive advantage (fat lot of good we're doing with it but it's there), but to me that's just more of an explanation for the Canadian teams to resist the quota.

We're outnumbered 3 to 16. If Americans no longer counted as domestics we'd be fooked. Increases to the quota will ensure 1) we have some domestic MLS players should the US clubs remove the exemption for Americans on Canadian clubs 2) in the alternative, give Garber a reason to seek his special exemption with Congress to allow Canadians to be treated as domestic across MLS. It's hard to make the latter happen when there are more Colombians than Canadians in the league, despite the fact we have three clubs.

There is no doubt about that. A development system that effectively produces MLS calibre players throughout Canada is the thing that will help the most with getting more Canucks in MLS. Here's hoping the CSA puts into motion Re-Think's (or whatever they're called) proposal and sets that up.

You'd hope that this rule in reverse, in America, would persuade them to give another look to Canadian players to fill their domestic requirements, though, as well?

As youllneverwalkalone points out, that would require a Congressional exemption. It's workplace/immigration rules that prohibit them from creating a single-nation exemption.

There is no doubt about that. A development system that effectively produces MLS calibre players throughout Canada is the thing that will help the most with getting more Canucks in MLS. Here's hoping the CSA puts into motion Re-Think's (or whatever they're called) proposal and sets that up.

That is one method that should be pursued - but the effect of the quota is to encourage the teams themselves to turn out MLS calibre players, so as a strategy it should not be dismissed either. (Ideally both approaches should be used - carrot AND stick)

Archived