Loan for Russell Tiebert?

nolando

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had this discussion in Cuba about the Caps lack of Canadians and Ben (Lord Bob) made a very good point about the millions of dollars the club spends anually on their academy! I'll wait and see what transpires in the future with them but I'm like many on here, it's country before club and if my team was not playing Canadians my interest would dwindle rapidly!

The best thing about this thread is how Tiebert is getting better and better the less he plays. He's already better than half the central midfielders on the Whitecaps even though he doesn't play that position, better than the reserve left back, even though that's not really his position either, and now he's better than any forward on the Whitecaps who has come within five meters of the left touchline. Pretty soon he'll be better than Darren Mattocks, Eric Hassli, Joe Cannon, Peter Schaad and Carl Robinson. I'm really excited to see his theoretical ability keep exploding.

The best thing about this thread is how Tiebert is getting better and better the less he plays. He's already better than half the central midfielders on the Whitecaps even though he doesn't play that position, better than the reserve left back, even though that's not really his position either, and now he's better than any forward on the Whitecaps who has come within five meters of the left touchline. Pretty soon he'll be better than Darren Mattocks, Eric Hassli, Joe Cannon, Peter Schaad and Carl Robinson. I'm really excited to see his theoretical ability keep exploding.

Come on Dub, we are having a serious conversation here. There is no need to be silly.... RT is already better than Mattocks and Hassli, and far better than Cannon. ;)

We had this discussion in Cuba about the Caps lack of Canadians and Ben (Lord Bob) made a very good point about the millions of dollars the club spends anually on their academy!

The Whitecaps aren't in an exclusive club where that's concerned.

The Whitecaps aren't in an exclusive club where that's concerned.

Yes, I get that but I think the point is although there aren't any Canadians getting minutes with them this season it's not like they aren't trying to develop them and they do have some very good quality coming up from the academy apparently! Why the hell am I defending the Whitecaps and Lord Bob?

As I said in another thread RT made the bench last night for the win at Colorado. Progress continues and he is working his way up. At his natural position, left mid, I'd rank him equal in potential to Omar Salgado. He has different skills but is fun to watch. Now that Omar is injured and we have 4 games in 11 days I'm hoping some of Rennie's formations will include a left mid with initials RT.

Assuming that the 4-3-3 stays and assuming Tiebert is solely a wide-left attacking player, he is probably competing with Salgado and Nanchoff for a spot in the wing rotation. Given the playing time this year, it is obvious that Rennie ranks him lowest of the three. That doesn't mean that won't change, but likely one of Nanchoff of Tiebert will have to move on before next season.

it's not like they aren't trying to develop them and they do have some very good quality coming up from the academy apparently! ?

Yes, Apparently.

------

The only measure of success that should count in this academy business is: Players cracking the first team lineup and minutes played in the first team. In the long run its count of professional players from this or that setup that will count. Right now, the score board doesnt ad a good score. All that stuff about quality that they have and the amount that they invest is all speculation and with context is not worth the mention. None of us (at least none of us here) have seen both setups. You can now go to the complex at Downsview with the two buildings and see for yourself. Its now pretty much open. Its pretty impressive.

Not even close. Also, it doesn't matter what the quality of the team was. You can tell how talented a player is by seeing how THEY play. Just from observation, anyone with a half a brain that knows anything about the game can tell he's much more talented than Salgado.

Our sub par Canadians wiped the floor with your foreigners little man. Also, don't reply back with your bull **** about how any team can win on any given day. I gaurentee we'll do it again soon enough in league play, especially in your own back yard.

I think neither Salgado nor Teibert are ready. For the record however, if they were to re-enter the MLS draft, I think Salgado gets selected first by the majority of teams.

Yawn, homerism at its best. If they were matched up again, I would bet the oddsmakers (i.e. professionals that make a living on non-biased projections) favour the team with an overwhelmingly higher success rate in the MLS so far this year. And yes, league parity is a reasonable explanation for the TFC wins. It wouldn't be shocking to see Dallas beat San Jose in their next matchup, but that doesn't mean Dallas is a better overall squad.

Dear anti-Canadian Caps fan,

This is my opinion as a fan and i really don't give a flying f@ck what someone coaching or owning an MLS team is thinking about.

Sincerely,

A Patriot

p.s. The Whitecaps are ruining Canadian soccer

Wow. Face palm. You just missed the entire point. You think OTHER people are going to jeopardize their money and careers to please YOU? Really? The Whitecaps franchise does not exist to please you.

I support the CMNT more than the Whitecaps. I want to see the CMNT in the World Cup more than I want to see the Whitecaps win the Cup ... but I also understand the business side of the MLS ... Something you continue to ignore.

Wow. Face palm. You just missed the entire point. You think OTHER people are going to jeopardize their money and careers to please YOU? Really? The Whitecaps franchise does not exist to please you.

I support the CMNT more than the Whitecaps. I want to see the CMNT in the World Cup more than I want to see the Whitecaps win the Cup ... but I also understand the business side of the MLS ... Something you continue to ignore.

Let me rephrase what i said so you understand it more clearly: I. Don't. Give. A. ****. About. Rennie. Or. The. Whitecaps. Ownership. All. I. Give. A. ****. About. Are. Canadian. Players. They. Are. Your. Problem. As. A. Caps. Fan.

Have. A. Nice. ****ing. Day.

As a Caps fan AND a huge supporter of the National Team, I have to say that I am highly annoyed that there are NOT any Canadians playing with the first team. Having said that, however, I am reserving judgement on ownership for a later date. If we do not see a handful of Canadians in the first team in two or three years, then I will wonder if the club truly understands the power of having bonafide Canadian starters on the pitch. But this is a long term venture, and the benefits of our MLS sides to the National Team will not be realized for several more years yet. The Caps are taking the right approach to their business, and it is my belief that this approach will have a greater sustained impact on our National team than plugging a few holes with second-rate Canucks just because. (I love Dunfield, but he isn't even good enough for TFC. He's got huge heart, and that is why I love him, but he's the sort of "filler Canuck" that does little for his club and nothing much for country. Not because his heart isn't in the right place, but because he doesn't have the ability and is too old to develop in any significant way.)

Give the academies some time. We all know that our future rests there. But the success of the academies is deeply impacted by the success (health) of the club as a whole, so I cannot yet fault the Caps for not having a real Canadian in the first team.

Yet.

Let me rephrase what i said so you understand it more clearly: I. Don't. Give. A. ****. About. Rennie. Or. The. Whitecaps. Ownership. All. I. Give. A. ****. About. Are. Canadian. Players. They. Are. Your. Problem. As. A. Caps. Fan.

Have. A. Nice. ****ing. Day.

You need a rag for all those periods you just had.

Man, I WANT to be a Whitecaps fan. I truly do. As an Alberta resident, I've actually BEEN to Vancouver. Never even crossed the border into Ontario, much less Quebec.

But as a fan, I find myself fast forwarding all their games. I, like most people on these boards, love Canadian players. The whitecaps franchise is existing and thriving without canadian players, and have plenty of fans. That's fine. Until Canadians are on the roster, I'll be paying more attention to TFC games, and Impact games to watch Bernier. And even if I'm in Vancouver, I'm not buying a ticket to watch a bunch of foreigners win. That's not a victory for Canada, OR Vancouver in my mind. Not a true victory.

As other say though, it's not as though I'm writing the Caps off in this fashion yet, because they are investing so much into their academy right now. It makes me respect them a lot more, because as a franchise, how much they are investing in their academy definitely proves to me that they DO actually care about the state of the game for Canada, and Canadian players.

Not like the Canucks...who lost the cup to Boston, who had more Canadian players on their team, and then canadian fans rioted. I woulda high fived all the players on Boston and said "Way to beat those damn swedes!"

I'm the same. I wanted to be a Vancouver fan but I can't cheer for that roster. I'm also not wild about adopting a team that plays on plastic.

It's too bad Toronto is so terrible because I do like the fan base, the stadium and the Canadians on the team. I don't expect a ton of Canadians. Just a handful on the roster and at least a couple that are legitimate first team players.

Thirded... I even live in BC and I find i hard to give a crap about the Caps because of their lack of cancon. I understand their approach, but not only do I find their total lack of Canadian content hard to connect with, the way so many young Canadians (who could at least be learning on their bench with a few sub appearances a year instead of washed out 30 year old americans) have left, its actually made me dislike them a little so far when I really want to connect to them.

Pro sports teams have a loose enough connection to their communities but they are by far the worst Canadian sports teams for actually having any canadians on the field. The raptors might move into a tie if magloire leaves this offseason I guess for what its worth.

^Agreed.

I'm a Vancouverite and also wanted to love the Caps, but the 'international' team they field every night doesn't really inspire me.

I did love to follow Tiebert last year. As a young Canadian soccer player coming up, playing for a Canadian professional team in a decent league, it was very exciting. I am very upset there are NO Canadians to follow on the Caps this year. :(

Maybe it is just easier for Canadian players to get time on bottom dwelling team than a 3rd place one. If you want to crack the starting lineup doing it on a last place team will be easier than one that is 3rd in their conf. I'm not being snarky but I'm sure when (not if) Canucks crack the starting 11 on the Caps it will be for one reason only, they are good enough to play at the top level in MLS not the bottom.

Of course as a Canadian soccer supporter I want to see more Canucks on the Caps first team but club and country are 2 totally different animals. Country will benefit from club development programs. In fact if you look at the current former Caps (res & up) on the U23 and lower national teams you get a much better view of what is happening. I think it is very myopic to focus so much on first team players for the 3 MLS clubs.

*checks banner at the top of the forum* Yep, this is the board for National Soccer Team support. Imagine, finding people who value national player development over club success! Who saw that one coming?

TFC fans act as if they would rather lose with Canadian players than win with foreign ones. MLS franchises are businesses, not a damn farm system for the CMNT.

Actually, it's the top of the domestic pyramid for the USMNT. That's where this all falls down. I'm glad the Whitecaps are helping support a league financially AND opportunity-wise in a way that helps the development of US soccer.

:)

Clearly the VWFC would fail as a business if Teibert were sitting on the bench of the starting 18, right?

Archived