Loan for Russell Tiebert?

nolando

Does it make any sense for Russell Tiebert to be loaned out to a NASL side for the rest of the season (or a matter of months)? Especially since there are no extra cup games to juggle with an expanded roster, and with the Scot coming in the summer, I really don't see him in any different situation than Davies last year, which is to say it would be a stretch to see him make the bench at all over the rest of the season.

I notice that some MLS players get loaned to the lower divisions ( and occasionally abroad). Why not give the kid a chance to show what he can do instead of just pointlessly keeping him around a releasing him at the end of season?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think he should just ask for a trade. He's a GA player so he has value to any team in the league and he's good enough to start somewhere in this league no doubt in my mind. Vancouver has shown no interest in developing Canadian talent so I don't see why he would prefer there to any other place in the league. Vancouver royally ****ed him this year, especially after the Olympic Qualifiers he had.

Have to agree with Keegan to a degree. He's gotta get outta dodge but only on loan. Either that or get a trade to TFC or MTL. But personally I'd like to see him loaned out and then return to WFC a better player who can actually play in their XI.

But yes, he had a great Oly Quals and then not even in MD18! Yeesh.

Tiebert is the only Canadian even remotely likely to see the pitch for the Whitecaps, and he isn't even making the bench! Really disappointed in that. I thought he had a good campaign last season seeing limited minutes, and would play a more prominent role this year as a young player developing.

Instead he is buried behind a bunch of Americans/foreign players. Really hope Tiebert leaves Vancouver and continues to develop elsewhere.

May as well take Alderson with you.

Does anyone know, though, whether them being out on loan would effect the rule where you need to have 3 Canadians on your payroll/roster? This should be looked into...could be that Vancouver's hands are tied because of this.

But really, I mean the Whitecaps reserve squads play all the time, and Tiebert plays there, and HONESTLY, I think depending on who they are playing, the competition is as good or better than the NASL anyways.

Regardless, does anyone have the rulebook to see what is allowed? I know that if I'm right about this rule, Rochat (not even a true Canuck, really) takes up the 3rd spot.

It's the same with the Impact and Evan James by the way.

Does anyone know, though, whether them being out on loan would effect the rule where you need to have 3 Canadians on your payroll/roster? This should be looked into...could be that Vancouver's hands are tied because of this.

But really, I mean the Whitecaps reserve squads play all the time, and Tiebert plays there, and HONESTLY, I think depending on who they are playing, the competition is as good or better than the NASL anyways.

Regardless, does anyone have the rulebook to see what is allowed? I know that if I'm right about this rule, Rochat (not even a true Canuck, really) takes up the 3rd spot.

They could loan out one player, as each team has 4 "Canadian" players

I could be wrong but Im pretty sure the reserve squad has 10 games a year, tops. Nowhere near enough games to develop talent, and one of the main beefs of all soccer people with the current MLS structure.

If this was meant as a joke and I just missed it I apologize.

It's pretty messed up. The complete truth is if he were playing on an american MLS team, he'd likely be playing, if not starting. He should bail on the caps at the first opportunity. He's gonna waste away at an important time in his career. He should be playing.

Not knowing what is going on in the Vancouver Whitecaps training But I do find it weird that Tiebert is not getting anyu minutes at all But who knows what is going on. Funny the Whitcaps may not like Canadiand but didnt they lose the CCL to a team with 4 Canadians in therte line up.

Not sure where he should go really, where would he fit into TFC's lineup? Morgan is our LB and we have many options at winger so I don't think we have minutes to give him.

Montreal hasn't shown much in Canadian development either, so going there may not be the answer.

I could be wrong but Im pretty sure the reserve squad has 10 games a year, tops. Nowhere near enough games to develop talent, and one of the main beefs of all soccer people with the current MLS structure.

If this was meant as a joke and I just missed it I apologize.

Ah I see...yeah I never thought of that, that's true they don't play a lot. And I agree with James as well...he'd be playing on many other teams. If he's trying to be a fullback though, Whitecaps are pretty set at that position. At best he bumps Thorrington or Davidson for defensive midfielder.

I think Teibert (as is Nanchoff) is a victim of Rennie's system more than anything else. He is a winger stuck playing for a coach who is obsessed with a narrow formation. The Caps play with two or sometimes three defensive midfielders. Their width up front is also similarly limited with Camilo notionally playing wide left (he is terrible as a winger and always drifts inwards) and LeToux notionally playing wide right (also terrible as a winger). The reality is that the Caps play with three central mids and three central forwards. This has resulted in much disjointed play, but Rennie seems fine with it provided they are getting results. Rennie tends to bang on about players needing to work hard in training in order to earn a spot in the 11. By all accounts, Teibert is one of the hardest workers in training and has performed well for the reserves and in PDL games. Unfortunately, barring injury or a string of poor results, I think that no amount of effort will get Russell into the 11. As a huge Teibert fan, I think a loan or a move would be in his best interests because I don't think Rennie is going anywhere anytime soon. As a Caps fan and as a CMNT fan, this annoys me to no end.

Prior to the Whitecaps signing Caleb Clarke, the Whitecaps couldn't have loaned Teibert (or Alderson) out because at that point they would have ceased to count as Canadians. Now that they've signed Clarke mid-season they theoretically could, but then again I bet the market's a bit less good.

Little bit ironic that both Teibert and Alderson started for TFC and went to VWFC. While I won't dispute that Vancouver has been more stable thus far ... TFC has been an easier place for young players to break through.

I'd think Teibert would be heavily in the mix at TFC if he was still in town.

Little bit ironic that both Teibert and Alderson started for TFC and went to VWFC. While I won't dispute that Vancouver has been more stable thus far ... TFC has been an easier place for young players to break through.

Slight correction: Alderson started in Toronto but not with Toronto FC. In fact, I'm told that when Alderson was getting on the field in the Orlando Disney Thing, TFC brass who were watching had no idea who he was.

Slight correction: Alderson started in Toronto but not with Toronto FC. In fact, I'm told that when Alderson was getting on the field in the Orlando Disney Thing, TFC brass who were watching had no idea who he was.

The TFC brass don't know much of anything really.

Not sure where he should go really, where would he fit into TFC's lineup? Morgan is our LB and we have many options at winger so I don't think we have minutes to give him.

Montreal hasn't shown much in Canadian development either, so going there may not be the answer.

Tiebert is a much better winger than defender. As for our options at winger, he could displace Johnson, Soolsma or Lamb. I'm surprised as well that he hasn't found any minutes on the Caps. He's easily better than Salgado or someone like Thorrington.

Tiebert is a much better winger than defender. As for our options at winger, he could displace Johnson, Soolsma or Lamb. I'm surprised as well that he hasn't found any minutes on the Caps. He's easily better than Salgado or someone like Thorrington.

John Thorrington makes $130,000. I don't understand anything about John Thorrington and the caps: ie why he actually plays, why they pay him that much, why he's so injury prone. John Thorrington is the biggest enigma in MLS to me. He got mad during the ACC after he was tackled hard, and ran after a TFC player in anger. That's the highlight of John Thorrington's season for me so far this year. Oh yes I also forgot, invaluable vetern leadership etc etc and all that other absolute nonsense.

John Thorrington makes $130,000. I don't understand anything about John Thorrington and the caps: ie why he actually plays, why they pay him that much, why he's so injury prone. John Thorrington is the biggest enigma in MLS to me. He got mad during the ACC after he was tackled hard, and ran after a TFC player in anger. That's the highlight of John Thorrington's season for me so far this year. Oh yes I also forgot, invaluable vetern leadership etc etc and all that other absolute nonsense.

Yeah, him and Harvey can both be axed. Well, Harvey isn't too bad I suppose.

I have to ask one thing though. Tiebert seeing a lack of minutes was debated in this forum a month or so ago. Most of the Vancouver based Voyageurs at that time said there was nothing to worry about and that Rennie had praised Tiebert's ability, stating that he didn't need quotas to be on the team. Has something changed between now and when it was previously discussed?

I'd think Teibert would be heavily in the mix at TFC if he was still in town.

Alderson passed up on joining TFCA to play with Carmine Isaaco's Portugal FC as a 16 yr old.

• 1 month later...

Archived