Pan American Games

Soccer 19

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tough loss for Mexico against Brazil. Why didn't they put a player on the back post for the corner? I noticed that several of the teams at the WWC also left the far post ungarded. Am I missing a new strategy or something?

Was that the goal that didn't count for some unknown reason. Unfortunately the video stream had gone to another event when that happened and the replay was only once.

Had the opportunity to watch most of the game. Gotta love the Mexican commentators, so complimentary of every good play, so different to listening to English commentators who are constantly criticizing everything.

Brazil was up by one in the first few minutes. It happened so quickly I don't really remember how, except that the Brazilian got too much space. But, Canada did not panic. They played a very patient possession game. They were doing a good job of holding the ball and building plays. Not many chances on goal, but holding the ball well. No kick and run to be seen. I was really impressed with their patience.

Missed a bit of the second half and things got a bit less patient and precise, more mistakes and giveaways, not sure but it looked as though Brazil was controlling more, (still playing possession soccer though). But Canada got a few good attacks. Defenders were a factor as they often seen bringing the ball all the way up, Wilkinson did a great job doing this in the second half and Sussellman same in the first half. At the end Sinclair pulled through, with a beautiful header beating the goalkeeper to the ball. In overtime, seemed to me like it was Canada all the way, with the occasional dangerous attack/counterattack from Brazil.

In PKs Canada looked like winners, didn't look nervous, looked like players who knew they were going to find the back of the net. Goalie threw a Brazilian tantrum after Sinclair's PK, pretty funny to watch, Sinclair was chuckling on the way back to the middle.

Herdman did a good job, bringing in fresh legs when they were needed and during overtime seemed crazy calm and even looked like he was having fun on the sidelines, looked like he was chiding the players for not putting the ball in the net.

I was quite impressed with Susselman, never had seen her play before. Woeller too, and Chapman was her usual reliable self. Wasn't that impressed with Parker, she seemed to be scrapping with everybody and allowing it to distract her. The forwards did not really stand out today, Brazilians defenders and goalie were doing a good job of containing them.

Congrats to Canada. The team has recollected, and the coaching change does not appear to have hurt them. Looking very positive for the Olympic qualifiers.

Archived