Pan American Games

Soccer 19

With the upcoming USA friendlies and many notable WC players not in these freindlies will they be invited to the PanAms?

Groups

Group A: Chile, Colombia, Mexico and T&T

Group B: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica

Schedule

October 18:

Canada vs Costa Rica, 11 am

Colombia vs T&T, 2 pm

Argentina vs Brazil, 5 pm

Mexico vs Chile, 9 pm

October 20:

Canada vs Argentina, 10 am

Chile vs Colombia, 1 pm

Brazil vs Costa Rica, 5 pm

Mexico vs T&T, 8 pm

October 21:

Brazil vs Canada, 8 pm

October 22:

T&T vs Chile, 10 am

Costa Rica vs Argentina, 1 pm

Mexico vs Colombia, 5 pm

October 25: Semifinals

October 27: Finals and third place playoffs

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Canada's Roster is out !

Beanlands, Rachelle | 1993 | Ottawa, ON, CAN | Gloucester Hornets

Booth, Melanie | 1984 | Burlington, ON, CAN | Burlington Youth SC

Chapman, Candace | 1983 | Ajax, ON, CAN | Ajax United

Gayle, Robyn | 1985 | Mississauga, ON, CAN | Mississauga Dixie Hearts

Julien, Christina | 1988 | Williamstown, ON, CAN | Williamstown

Kyle, Kaylyn | 1988 | Saskatoon, SK, CAN | Silverwood Rangers

LeBlanc, Karina | 1980 | Maple Ridge, BC, CAN | Golden Ears Angels

Legault-Cordisco, Vanessa | 1992 | Boisbriand, QC, CAN | Ste-Thérèse

Matheson, Diana | 1984 | Oakville, ON, CAN | Oakville SC

Parker, Kelly | 1981 | Saskatoon, SK, CAN | Saskatoon United SC

Schmidt, Sophie | 1988 | Abbotsford, BC, CAN | Abbotsford

Scott, Desiree | 1987 | Winnipeg, MB, CAN | Maples Cougars

Sesselmann, Lauren | 1983 | Green Bay, WI, USA | St. Bernard Elementary

Simpson, Diamond | 1993 | Mississauga, ON, CAN | North Mississauga SC

Sinclair, Christine | 1983 | Burnaby, BC, CAN | South Burnaby Metro Club Bees

Timko, Brittany | 1985 | Coquitlam, BC, CAN | Coquitlam City Panthers

Wilkinson, Rhian | 1982 | Baie d’Urfé, QC, CAN | Lakeshore

5 players were absent from USA friendlies : World cup players Sinclair, Chapman and Timko and 2 players that were not either on WC roster or the friendlies : Susbstitue keeper Rachelle Beanlands and defense Vanessa Legault-Cordisco.

From World cup roster 5 new players : Beanlands, Legault-Cordisco and three that were at the USA friendlies : Def Melanie Booth and Loren Sesselman and midfield Diamond Simpson.

New coach kept his confidence in Wilkinson altough her performace in the USA games was not up to the level we might have been expecting.

No big surprises but Herman being there for such a short period of time, I did'nt expect any. I think it is great to have a competition only a short period after he has been nominated, he will be able to evaluate well the players and start looking for what might be missing.

I was just trying to point out the CSA's player selection is criminal... since I know this roster has nothing to do with Herdman. I'll just give an example with Vanessa. The girl plays for Marquette University. Not only does she not start, she doesn't even play in some of the games. Her average time on the field is 20 minutes a game. You can't tell me that she's not good enough to start for Marquette, but she's good enough to be invited out to a Canadian national team camp. There are better players. There has to be.

Sorry Quack, I missed your point. I thought you were saying that Canadian players were not being released from their college teams to play for Canada. You brought up another issue entirely.

What about players that ARE starting at major US colleges and are NOT invited to the Canadian program?

There are plenty of players in the NCAA that deserve a look by the new coach. Carolina was so against college soccer she didn't bother keeping up with her players' progress and what kind of seasons they were having at school, and if any new player had a breakout season with their school. Bry McCarthy just won BIG EAST defensive player of the week... aren't we complaining about Wilkinson? Taryne Boudreau just won SEC offensive player of the week after her recent move to striker... don't we need more offensive production? I'm not saying these players are the answer, I'm just saying we have more player options than you would think by the rosters that get chosen. Picking Canadian University athletes? Are those just pity selections to make our university athletics in Canada appear better than they are?

I expect the roster selections are based on recommendations from professional CSA staff coaches who know these players and which ones can fulfil specific roles, or in the case of younger players, might most benefit from the experience.

I'd generally take their opinion over that of whatever PR monkey hands out college player of the week awards. :-)

There are plenty of players in the NCAA that deserve a look by the new coach. Carolina was so against college soccer she didn't bother keeping up with her players' progress and what kind of seasons they were having at school, and if any new player had a breakout season with their school. Bry McCarthy just won BIG EAST defensive player of the week... aren't we complaining about Wilkinson? Taryne Boudreau just won SEC offensive player of the week after her recent move to striker... don't we need more offensive production? I'm not saying these players are the answer, I'm just saying we have more player options than you would think by the rosters that get chosen. Picking Canadian University athletes? Are those just pity selections to make our university athletics in Canada appear better than they are?

You are right on. I remember years back there used to be a list of all Canadian women playing in the U.S. colleges. At the time I was surprised to see there were over 300 of our girls in the U.S. I assume the numbers have not gone down each year, maybe it is even more now. I know that the University of Texas at El Paso is always having several Canadians from either B.C. or Alberta. It amazes me that coaches from the U.S. managed to find these good players and our beloved CSA can't do diddly.

In my experience many Canadians who end up playing at US schools seek out the opportunities themselves. Far more tryout than are ever selected so the US coaches can pick and choose. The outstanding players are often scouted and competed for by US schools especially if they do well with theirs SATs as well, that was the case with my youngest son. I suspect many of the bigger NCAA schools have larger budgets for their soccer programs (scholarship costs included) than does the CSA.

The roster for the Pan Am games is clearly nowhere near our best and the final results will show that.

We need to give Herdman a chance. It is early in the game for him and the poor chap is likely getting bad advice from the incompetent types that miracoulously are still hanging on to their jobs (eg: BR).

The only unfortunate part is that valuable resources (ie-money) are being wasted on certain players who clearly are not ready or will ever be capable of playing at the international level. As one poster pointed out why in the heck would you pick a player who plays less than 20 mins on a US college team?

There are many young players in the university system that would really help the team and replace some of the old guard who need to move on. Players like Tancredi are dinosaurs and their better days have passed them by. A youth movement is required and is inevitable.

Player selection as always is critical and not rocket science at least on a first pass. A good starting point would be to look at where a player plays and their contribution to their college team in terms of number of minutes played and their personal stats. We have many Canadians who play at prestigous universities in the US. A previous poster mentioned Bry McCarthy at Penn State......we have other good players at other good programs such Ohio State, Wisconsin, Rutgers,etc. A lot of these players are doing very well at least statistically. The current leading scorer at UNC with the highest minutes played is Canadian. Lets bring these players in and let them show their stuff.

After our last World Cup performance with the incumbents what do we have to lose.

Canada wants to have the best chance to win now. So you're going to keep your main players and it's more finding who's going to step up of those College players. I think college players are better with their university getting consistent minutes and after the season, they can call them to be on the senior team if they impress. I full expect Mallory Outerbridge and Bryanna McCarthy to get a good shot at making the team in January. Herdman will have to give the college kids a shot. He'll call veterans because they have to answer the call now because they're not playing. The University players who are playing at their U are in a good position anyways to make the senior team if they do well.

The problem is the CSA keeps bringing in these confident strong-willed coaches who want to take charge and be in control of things like player selection. They need to bring in some spineless jellyfish of a coach who will be bend to public opinion and go along with whatever the fans think is best. I mean isn't that how all the top soccer country's do it?

The problem is the CSA keeps bringing in these confident strong-willed coaches who want to take charge and be in control of things like player selection. They need to bring in some spineless jellyfish of a coach who will be bend to public opinion and go along with whatever the fans think is best. I mean isn't that how all the top soccer country's do it?

I'm not saying the coach did anything bad. Nobody knows if he tried to get the top NCAA/CIS players and if he did, he may have been denied. That's why the players he got are not Senior team material. I don't blame him yet. It's not like he did a presser after the squad selection.

Canada adds three players to WNT camp

Canadian coach John Herdman has invited three additional players to the upcoming preparation camp in Vancouver, BC. Canada’s women’s national team will have less than a week together before traveling to Mexico to join Team Canada for the Pan American Games, Guadalajara, Mexico 2011.

The three invitations were accepted by Jaclyn Sawicki of the University of Victoria, Monica Lam-Feist of the University of Wisconsin, and Amélia Pietrangelo of Rutgers University. All three will briefly leave their school seasons to train with the national team.

Anybody has tought about Josée Bélanger ? Her absence from last World Cup has hurted WNT performance. But now she seems to have fully recovered with a great performance yesterday at Jubilee Cup, playing only in second half and helping Verts de Sherbrooke to overcome a 1-2 first half deficit to win 5-3, even scoring a goal.

Glad to see that Herdman is looking beyond the inner circle. We always needed that from the previous two coaches. There are lots of good girls with good potential. You just need to turn rocks with open eyes and have guts to get past the dinosaurs.

Anybody has tought about Josée Bélanger ? Her absence from last World Cup has hurted WNT performance. But now she seems to have fully recovered with a great performance yesterday at Jubilee Cup, playing only in second half and helping Verts de Sherbrooke to overcome a 1-2 first half deficit to win 5-3, even scoring a goal.

Wouldn't be surprised that Bélanger rejected the call to be with the Vert et Or.

Also, Shannon Woeller has been added somehow on the roster. So I guess they are 18 after all.

Archived